Josephine- DIY replating and full fitout of a 70s Hancock and Lane narrowboat

harrybsmith

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

When you wedged the insulation panels in place did you notice whether they cracked or split on the other side which is forced into tension?

I would say not. If they had cracked there would be no wrinkling on the bottom face, and instead there would be creases at the crack positions.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

I would say not. If they had cracked there would be no wrinkling on the bottom face, and instead there would be creases at the crack positions.

If you’re doing this actually makes sense to score the back first and let it form the curve gently. Fill the scores with adhesive foam and stick in place as normal.  No unfilled cracks and under far less tension as it sets. 

3 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

If you’re doing this actually makes sense to score the back first and let it form the curve gently. Fill the scores with adhesive foam and stick in place as normal.  No unfilled cracks and under far less tension as it sets. 

Or make part depth saw cuts on the front face which close up when you curve the sheet, the cover them with foil tape afterwards.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Or make part depth saw cuts on the front face which close up when you curve the sheet, the cover them with foil tape afterwards.

Strangely, I have been doing both of these with trees this week. I have been pruning the orchard and re-laying the hedge. When you lay hedges you make the cut from the back so the strip on the front bends, when you want to lower the angle of a branch on an apple you can put a partial cut on the front face and pull it down closed, re-kerfing each time to keep the bend going at one point or using a series of parallel cuts for a more gentle bend.

I don't think this helps with Harry's insulation much!

Alec

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2024 at 01:03, john.k said:

I think you will have serious problems running a genset that big to power kitchen appliances ........... Listers are notorious for bore glazing if run light..........Running a prop should be enough power drain to load up the motor.

I agree, loading up the generator is a key concern, I'm contemplating all sorts of stuff from an electric shower (as well as a Paloma gas water heater for when the engine isn't running) to an electric towel rail to a bitcoin mine, all as switchable loads to ensure there's always some load on the Genny.

Insulation hasn't split, the only slight criticism of my method is it compresses the board on the inner face, which of course excludes the air from inside it, which makes it a bit less insulative 

• Greenie 1