New build financial logistics.....

Andyaero

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, Slow and Steady said:

I look at boats like this and think "where's the fit out?"

16510693050.JPG

I reckon there could be a future in wood scumbling, when all these new owners get bored with their IKEA “same as everyone else’s” look.

Edited by PD1964
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andyaero said:

This government does have a habit of moving/ ignoring the goal posts and by 2050 I prob won't care, if I'm still here I'll cross that one then......

However pure electric is my ideal, but I'm yet to be convinced that 100% electric is a practical cc. The builders say they are obvs, but most on here treat them like I'd just used your deck as an elsan.

Can I just mention what I said earlier.

14 hours ago, Barneyp said:

Three summer trips on hire boats is a very small amount of experience on which to base your choice of boat.

Have you thought about hiring for a couple of weeks mid winter, lots of hire companies carry on through the winter and they are a lot cheaper than in the summer.

Will give you much more experience on which to base your decision.

Indeed, I had forty years worth of experience before I bought my boat, approximately 20 years on hire boats a d 20 years on share boats, and still havent got exactly what I wanted. It is close though. 😂

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, I had forty years worth of experience before I bought my boat, approximately 20 years on hire boats a d 20 years on share boats, and still havent got exactly what I wanted. It is close though. 😂

And still it would be different if you were living on it

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You are aware of the governments 'marine 2050 zero' plans are you not ?

No boat may be built after 2025 that cannot be converted to zero emission propulsion (hybrids are not zero emission)

No boat may be built after 2035 that is not zero emission propulsion

No boat may be used in UK waters after 2050 that is not zero emission propulsion

Any boats built now with diesel power are going to have huge depreciation in the next few years.

Buy secondhand keep it for 12 months and find out what you really need / want, sell it and let someone else take the depreciation hit and you buy a new 100% electric boat that does what you want/need.

Surely all boats are "capable of conversion to zero emission propulsion?"

I mean, if you take the diesel out and bow haul it instead, you will have a zero emission propulsion boat (depending on ypur diet obviously... 🤣😂).

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

And still it would be different if you were living on it

Very true.

20 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Surely all boats are "capable of conversion to zero emission propulsion?"

I mean, if you take the diesel out and bow haul it instead, you will have a zero emission propulsion boat (depending on ypur diet obviously... 🤣😂).

Very true.

It's also difficult to think of any canal boat where you couldn't take the diesel out and replace it with an electric motor and batteries, admittedly with some engineering work -- so doesn't that make all boats "capable of conversion to zero emission propulsion"?

Of course this ignores the small issue of where the power comes from, unless you can fit enough solar panels on board (unlikely) or there are charging points (very unlikely in the short-term) -- so without a plan on how to solve this problem it's really a greenwashing box-ticking exercise by a government who wants to be seen as green (image) but without putting in the money and effort to make it actually happen (delivery).

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? 😞

• Greenie 1