Diesel prices

Nine of Hearts

Featured Posts

Not seen any ranting re: red diesel for a while. Wasn't the crunch for this 1st November? What are prices like at the pumps and have they gone up at the feared apocalyptic rates? I'm still using last year's fill up and haven't been keeping tabs.

Just a bit of idle Monday morning curiosity.

Edited by Nine of Hearts

Aaah, that explains it. :blink:

Plenty of time for a New year's trip up the cut with the crismusbonus. Might even get her re-blacked, if it will stretch to that. I'm considering having her proofed with gold leaf to save money, given the "we're doomed, I tell ye", prognostications on crude oil prices. Should look rather tasty with the flag blue superstructure.

Put's me in mind of a Private Eye cartoon a few years ago, a couple at a party remarking, "My god, they must be loaded, these are the glasses that come free with petrol...".

Edited by Nine of Hearts

My coal boat diesel has gone up from 52p/litre to 58p due to the rise in oil prices. Has everyone's gone up?

Coal has gone up too for some reason. Excel is now £7.50/25kg bag. I wonder if they just thought "Well we've got to put diesel up so we may as well put everything up"?

We got 2 bags Excel week ago it was still £6 bag Bren

Hi all.

Don't forget that the issue is not yet fully decided, in theory and you may still be in time to make your views known on the address below (there is a page somewhere inviting input from interested parties ) Someone must read them as I got a non-automated reply from an apparently real person following my submission. So WRITE NOW !!!!!

envirotax.bst@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

MIke.

Coal has gone up too for some reason. Excel is now £7.50/25kg bag. I wonder if they just thought "Well we've got to put diesel up so we may as well put everything up"?

Wow where are you buying that? I paid £5.65 for a bag of Excel. That's today's price as I just bought 20 bags this afternoon.

Chris

Edited by chris w

Hi all.

Don't forget that the issue is not yet fully decided, in theory and you may still be in time to make your views known on the address below (there is a page somewhere inviting input from interested parties ) Someone must read them as I got a non-automated reply from an apparently real person following my submission. So WRITE NOW !!!!!

envirotax.bst@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

MIke.

Although the closing date for submissions was 31 October.

where from?

Rex Jefferies - Coal Merchant - Marsworth 01296 661258. He has all types of coal but particularly recommends Excel. I have been using it for some time now and really like it. Lights easily, stays in overnight with no probs and has no clinker.

Chris

Is that a price for a single 25kg bag?? or do you have to buy 20 bags ie half a tonne to get that price?.

And does Rex deliver? Can you get a boat close enough to carry it on?

Cow Roast has diesel at 59p, and Pete's coal-boat was 60p yesterday.

Edited by Chris J W

The Excel price is for a single bag. He will deliver to your mooring (assuming there's reasonable access for a flatbed truck) - no delivery charge. He also has cut logs at £36 for 250kg and kindling at £2.50/bag. He also has lots of other varieties of coal some at £4 something - boiler nuts? Give him a call - he's a nice chap.

Chris

Rex Jefferies - Coal Merchant - Marsworth 01296 661258. He has all types of coal but particularly recommends Excel. I have been using it for some time now and really like it. Lights easily, stays in overnight with no probs and has no clinker.

Chris

Thanks for that Chris, going to see if he will deliver as far as here, Wendy

The Excel price is for a single bag. He will deliver to your mooring (assuming there's reasonable access for a flatbed truck) - no delivery charge. He also has cut logs at £36 for 250kg and kindling at £2.50/bag. He also has lots of other varieties of coal some at £4 something - boiler nuts? Give him a call - he's a nice chap.

Chris

Sorry to say Chris, I just phoned up the coal merchant you mentioned and he said they only do 20k bags ie £5.75 for a 20k bag of Pure heat, so it is not any cheaper than we get it here

As road diesel is now retailing at 105p/litre in my area, and given that all road diesel is Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD), and that most diesel sold on the cut is not ULSD and therefore attracts a higher level of duty will we be paying 110p/litre for diesel next year?

Yes we are all doomed. Still, every clould has a silver lining and I expect everyone will be travelling around on tickover, so no moans about moored boats be passed at speed. :(

I wrote to John Healey the Government Minister concerned with the Red Diesel situation and his bottom line was that he isn't allowed, under the derogation principles, to charge a different rate of duty for the same product based on user groups.

However, I have just written to the Chancellor pointing out that red diesel is a "lower quality" product as compared to white diesel and that, under the derogation principles, he IS allowed to charge a different rate of duty for a lower quality product (cf: cetane rating and sulphur content).

If it were held that red diesel is a "lower quality" product under EU rules, then the Chancellor is only obliged, under those rules, to add 21p to the price and is not obliged to bring the rate of duty in line with white diesel.

I await a response.

Chris

Wow where are you buying that? I paid £5.65 for a bag of Excel. That's today's price as I just bought 20 bags this afternoon.

Chris

My coal boat. Are those 25kg bags Chris? I've been done up like the proverbial kipper!

Edit: Just read the other posts. If yours are 20kg bags you're paying 28.25p/kg while I'm paying 30p/kg (or 1.75p/kg more), so it's not as bad as I first thought.

Actually I think I'd probably rather buy 20kg bags as they're easier to pick up and fill scuttles with.

Edited by blackrose

I agree about that and in a way I'm surprised that the coal boats do 25's cos they are lifting them a lot onto boat roofs. I think the cost of the bags might come into play.

Our coal man, not canal based, told us he was required to change to 20kg bags by elfin safety rules, though he can still use the traditional open 50kg sacks (for the moment, though their days are probably numbered).

Tim

I agree about that and in a way I'm surprised that the coal boats do 25's cos they are lifting them a lot onto boat roofs. I think the cost of the bags might come into play.

A small, thin South African woman took over the coal boat that delivers to me about a year ago. When I first saw her she was clean & green, being trained up by the guy who used to run the boat, and I thought she'd never make it. She's proved me wrong but I still don't know how she does it - I'd hate to be lugging those sacks of coal & gas bottles around. Things must be bad in SA for someone to want to come all the way over here do that! :( Anyway, the coal has got into her skin & she's no longer clean! So I don't mind paying an extra 43p/bag for her efforts.

Edited by blackrose