Vetus 55KGF Bow Thruster battery recommendation.

Featured Posts

I need to replace Vetus 55KGF Bow Thruster Battery and would be grateful for any advice or recommendations.

... and yes I know I should learn how to manoeuvre unaided and not rely on a girlie button.

In my defence I'm a single handed boater and a Bow Thruster does help.

Regards and Thanks

Brian. 

15 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

A diesel engine starter battery, designed for high current discharge.

And don't forget to charge it, most bow thruster batteries only get charged while the engine is running, which is plain daft.

1 hour ago, Idle Days said:

And don't forget to charge it, most bow thruster batteries only get charged while the engine is running, which is plain daft.

And if you don't have shore power or solar, when else are you going to charge it?

Edited by David Mack

I dread these "commentator's curse" type posts, but the same BT on my boat has the bog standard 110 sealed multipurpose battery as fitted for the engine start and the domestic bank with the boat from build. The domestic bank is on its second set, but the BT and the Start batteries are originals at 14 years old. I pop a charger on the start and BT batteries when there's a pandemic and the boat has to sit unused, but otherwise they both charge only when the engine runs. Start and BT batteries tend to be used in quick bursts and topped back up immediately after every discharge. They love that lifestyle.

I think that, unless you're a twonk that needs a BT to moor, you'll always be leaving that battery full and it'll be content for many weeks.

Right, now I've said that out loud, I guess I'll soon be looking for a new BT battery myself... Fortunately, it wouldn't need to be a priority.

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I dread these "commentator's curse" type posts, but the same BT on my boat has the bog standard 110 sealed multipurpose battery as fitted for the engine start and the domestic bank with the boat from build. The domestic bank is on its second set, but the BT and the Start batteries are originals at 14 years old. I pop a charger on the start and BT batteries when there's a pandemic and the boat has to sit unused, but otherwise they both charge only when the engine runs. Start and BT batteries tend to be used in quick bursts and topped back up immediately after every discharge. They love that lifestyle.

I think that, unless you're a twonk that needs a BT to moor, you'll always be leaving that battery full and it'll be content for many weeks.

Right, now I've said that out loud, I guess I'll soon be looking for a new BT battery myself... Fortunately, it wouldn't need to be a priority.

As a twonk who chooses to use his bow thruster for its designed purpose of assisting with manoeuvring, particularly in tight spaces between other craft in a crowded marina (after all why have on fitted if it is not to be used?) I often tie-up with a depleted B.T. battery.

The fact that on our craft, in common with many, the battery charger only serves the leisure batteries ensures a short life for the B.T. battery. Hence my comment that such a set-up is "just plain daft" and my advice to ensure that it gets probably charged and maintained.

Modifications to the B.T. charging system on my craft are in hand to allow charging via a land-line or solar panels.

5 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

As a twonk who chooses to use his bow thruster for its designed purpose of assisting with manoeuvring, particularly in tight spaces between other craft in a crowded marina (after all why have on fitted if it is not to be used?) I often tie-up with a depleted B.T. battery.

The fact that on our craft, in common with many, the battery charger only serves the leisure batteries ensures a short life for the B.T. battery. Hence my comment that such a set-up is "just plain daft" and my advice to ensure that it gets probably charged and maintained.

Modifications to the B.T. charging system on my craft are in hand to allow charging via a land-line or solar panels.

And you are 100% spot on. The engine start battery powers for perhaps 15 seconds and then the engine is run to recharge it. A boat returning to its moorings may use the bowthruster to reverse in and even come along side, maybe a total of 3 to 5 minutes and then the engine is switched off leaving the battery semi depleted until next time the boat is used. On top of that most don't have an efficient charging system for the battery while the engine is running

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Idle Days said:

Sensible indeed, but only if you have land line or solar. That said, if your leisure batteries are permanently connected to the BT battery (directly or via a VSR) the BT battery will get topped up (most of the way) from the larger leisure bank.

Oh, ok then, I'm happy to be out of step in not using a bow thruster to moor up, or using it for 3-5 minutes at a time, cos it means it's battery is still fully charged when I stop the engine. Never seem to need it like that, but maybe I'm an exception, so I'm sanguine  that others do what works for them (although someone will have to explain the need for a thruster when going alongside in a benign environment like a canal when a centre handling line seems to do the job when required - I'd be bothered about pumping silt with the thruster).

I do very occasionally use it as a rudder when going astern, and it's brilliant for that on occasion, but my boat does seem to reverse rather better than most I see too. I also confess to using it to negotiate very tight turns now and again if it avoids multi back and forth shuffles, but I usually do the shuffle anyway just for the boat handling practice, and I don't use it to wind for the same reason.

At the end of the day though, do what works for you and I'll try to stop saying twonk in inappropriate places. Sorry for any offence. :)