Seven Stars, Rugby

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

Seems to have been a while since I've called in here, so I thought I might just spread the word about a notable pub I happened across this week as we head north up the Oxford and the Coventry towards the Shroppie.

Rugby centre is a bit of a way from the popular Bridge 58/59 moorings, and the adjacent Harvester isn't everyone's go to hostelry, but there's a place well worth a stroll in Albert Square, just beyond the station. 

The Seven Stars serves a good range of cask ales and ciders (as well as a few of the usual suspects), which is enough of a draw in itself for many, but if you like a good scotch egg on occasion you need look no further. Proper home made on the premises, soft yolks obviously, and flavours including traditional, chili and garlic, and chorizo. I can vouch for the first two. I can also vouch for their cobs, made with proper home made on the premises bread. We were beyond the 12-2pm lunch hours, but landlord Graham had no hesitation making up fresh cobs so we can also attest to the ham (cured on the premises) and onion as well as a cheese and onion cob both being noteworthy. Drinks are your own taste, but the hoppy pale bitter I'm rather partial to was very well represented by a couple of "Platinum Blondes" from Coventry's Byatts brewery not far down the road.

You can Google the place as well as me to see the rest of what's on offer (charity work, rugby, music, etc) but if you have a liking for a proper pub, run by a proper host of a landlord with excellent food and drink as a starting point, you could do a lot worse than wearing the dog"s claws down a bit on the pavement that leads to this outstanding establishment. He'll be welcome too.

@mrsmelly wouldn't like the place because of how shiny ex Royal Navy chef (he says cook) Graham keeps his brasswork, but otherwise I'm pretty sure that any good landlord and many of us would recognise this fine, welcoming local pub as a bit of a gem.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

On 08/04/2022 at 22:23, Cheshire cat said:

Ha ha. I got excited for a minute. I misread Rugby as Rugeley. I still haven't found a good pub in Rugeley. Default is JDW!

Passing Rugely today, but I'm not minded to flog a dead horse if you've already done the donkey work! :D

On 08/04/2022 at 19:44, Sea Dog said:

Seems to have been a while since I've called in here, so I thought I might just spread the word about a notable pub I happened across this week as we head north up the Oxford and the Coventry towards the Shroppie.

Rugby centre is a bit of a way from the popular Bridge 58/59 moorings, and the adjacent Harvester isn't everyone's go to hostelry, but there's a place well worth a stroll in Albert Square, just beyond the station. 

The Seven Stars serves a good range of cask ales and ciders (as well as a few of the usual suspects), which is enough of a draw in itself for many, but if you like a good scotch egg on occasion you need look no further. Proper home made on the premises, soft yolks obviously, and flavours including traditional, chili and garlic, and chorizo. I can vouch for the first two. I can also vouch for their cobs, made with proper home made on the premises bread. We were beyond the 12-2pm lunch hours, but landlord Graham had no hesitation making up fresh cobs so we can also attest to the ham (cured on the premises) and onion as well as a cheese and onion cob both being noteworthy. Drinks are your own taste, but the hoppy pale bitter I'm rather partial to was very well represented by a couple of "Platinum Blondes" from Coventry's Byatts brewery not far down the road.

You can Google the place as well as me to see the rest of what's on offer (charity work, rugby, music, etc) but if you have a liking for a proper pub, run by a proper host of a landlord with excellent food and drink as a starting point, you could do a lot worse than wearing the dog"s claws down a bit on the pavement that leads to this outstanding establishment. He'll be welcome too.

@mrsmelly wouldn't like the place because of how shiny ex Royal Navy chef (he says cook) Graham keeps his brasswork, but otherwise I'm pretty sure that any good landlord and many of us would recognise this fine, welcoming local pub as a bit of a gem.

We are localish to rugby and I wasn’t aware of this pub till now! Sounds like it’s worth finding out. Many thanks. 

1 minute ago, Athy said:

From memory, we never found a good town in Rugeley.

It’s now got a very useful canalside tesco….there is a micropub but it’s a bit of a walk from the cut…we looked at few canalside houses in rugeley with moorings….sadly the town centre is like many now and feels slightly neglected…still a useful stopping point for shopping on the T & M tho. 

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, frangar said:

It’s now got a very useful canalside tesco….there is a micropub but it’s a bit of a walk from the cut…we looked at few canalside houses in rugeley with moorings….sadly the town centre is like many now and feels slightly neglected…still a useful stopping point for shopping on the T & M tho. 

Nice Indian Takeaway close to the canal as well

On 10/04/2022 at 09:17, frangar said:

The Rusty Barrel,I really enjoyed it,bit of a walk from Bridge 67 but there is a decent footpath most of the way.

Agree the Seven Stars is a very fine pub,always route 1 whenever moored in Brownsover,the trudge is well worth it.🍺

Edited by Quaffer

On 08/04/2022 at 22:23, Cheshire cat said:

Ha ha. I got excited for a minute. I misread Rugby as Rugeley. I still haven't found a good pub in Rugeley. Default is JDW!

Try The Vine on Sheepfair.  Their Vanilla Porter was superb on my last visit. premises may be a bit basic but my interest is beer quality and would recommend it.