AVO meter repairs.

Bod

Featured Posts

I have been given an AVOMETER 8, nice condition, last calibrated in 1998 by RS servicepoint, battery compartment in reasonable condition. The RS "Intergrity seal" is still intact.

It does'nt work, needle appears to be seized.

Now I know it will be cheaper to replace with a digital meter, than to have it professionally repaired.

Are there repair guides for these meters?

Bod.

They are very, very fiddly to work on - lots of antique components wrapped up in string AND they need non- or semi- standard batteries.  Mine's in the loft, but I can't bring myself to chuck it away.

Sadly modern Chinese plastic boxes are lighter, smaller and easy to use.

8 hours ago, George and Dragon said:

Missing 'not'?

We've all done it.

I think there must be at least one typo or 'punctuation' error in Every Post, to check-up on the rest of us; same principal as tripping-up the BSC inspector.  

I've still got my dad's - he was a TV engineer in the 60s and 70s. Still working, I pull it out from time to time to check it. I do remember him stripping it and fixing it once when I was a kid, but then he was used to playing with fiddly electrical equipment!

Wouldn't use it in preference to the cheap plastic multimeter though, I'd be too scared of dropping it, and anyway the rubber on the probes has perished.

11 hours ago, Tacet said:

I think there must be at least one typo or 'punctuation' error in Every Post, to check-up on the rest of us; same principal as tripping-up the BSC inspector.  

Would that be in error and you actually mean the BSS ? (or maybe you missed the extra 'S' for Boat safety Scheme Certificate)

I don't think the BSS undertake BSC examinations ...................................

Edited by Alan de Enfield

11 hours ago, Tacet said:

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Would that be in error and you actually mean the BSS ? (or maybe you missed the extra 'S' for Boat safety Scheme Certificate)

I don't think the BSS undertake BSC examinations ...................................

Well spotted; it's a good game, isn't it?  But there are at least five other mishtakes to find in my post.

My turn.  In your post above, there is an inconsistent use of capital letters in "Boat safety Scheme Certificate"  And BSC (when it is an abbreviation for Bachelor of Science) is usually BSc.

1 minute ago, Tacet said:

Well spotted; it's a good game, isn't it?  But there are at least five other mishtakes to find in my post.

My turn.  In your post above, there is an inconsistent use of capital letters in "Boat safety Scheme Certificate"  And BSC (when it is an abbreviation for Bachelor of Science) is usually BSc.

Good game, good game.

I had put a couple of other grammatical and spelling errors in the post but they were far to simple, so edited them out.

12 hours ago, Tacet said:

I think he must have given up on my posts the number of errors I make

(no as it added my two posts together it looks like the line below is in reply to Tacet when actually it was a stand alone question)

But have you mended the AVO, I used one like that as an apprentice 

Edited by ditchcrawler

17 hours ago, Tacet said:

Not to mention solecisms such as dangling modifiers and split infinitives.

"Wielding his calibration certificate, the BSS inspector's AVO meter plunged into the depths of the electrics cabinet."

On 08/03/2022 at 13:49, OldGoat said:

They are very, very fiddly to work on - lots of antique components wrapped up in string AND they need non- or semi- standard batteries.  Mine's in the loft, but I can't bring myself to chuck it away.

Sadly modern Chinese plastic boxes are lighter, smaller and easy to use.

Batteries still available on ebay,bought my last ones from Maplins!!!