Chelsea Creek

mark99

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

A useful image, is there a date for this image. The locomotive looks it might have been in the late 1960's or during the 1970's

I can find out. Pretty sure it's from a film which shows all sorts of alleyways etc round Battersea and Fulham. Goldust.

Never heard of that film. Free to watch in three parts:

Chelsea Creek appears in the opening shots, and later on. Filmed around Battersea and Chelsea, and a trip on the bus to Hyde Park and Soho.

Snapshots of early seventies London along with street performers. The Budgerigars on sticks is quite something. Pixelated in full screen, but fascinating all the same. BFI do a clearer version for £2.50 (rented).

• Greenie 1

On 19/02/2022 at 09:41, mark99 said:

chel cree.JPG

I think that length of Chelsea Creek has quite gone? I know it still runs up from the river to the railway but the bit running parallel to the railway has quite gone IIRC

It also ran under the railway to wharves - I guess this could be the bit on the inland side of the railway but it looks to parallel the railway for too great a distance for that 

I think the railway was preceded by the Kensington Canal

I remember reports of a bit of a rumpus at BW's annual public meeting in about 1981, when some London IWA people were aggressively questioning BW when they revealed that they had sold off the remains of the Kensington Canal/Chelsea Creek, which although heavily silted and with some sunken barges, was not officially unnavigable at the time.

38 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I think that length of Chelsea Creek has quite gone? I know it still runs up from the river to the railway but the bit running parallel to the railway has quite gone IIRC

It also ran under the railway to wharves - I guess this could be the bit on the inland side of the railway but it looks to parallel the railway for too great a distance for that 

I think the railway was preceded by the Kensington Canal

Chelsea Creek Highways Department lot.

Screenshot_20220220-141718_Maps.jpg

46 minutes ago, Derek R. said:

Never heard of that film. Free to watch in three parts:

Chelsea Creek appears in the opening shots, and later on. Filmed around Battersea and Chelsea, and a trip on the bus to Hyde Park and Soho.

Snapshots of early seventies London along with street performers. The Budgerigars on sticks is quite something. Pixelated in full screen, but fascinating all the same. BFI do a clearer version for £2.50 (rented).

Also some shots around Wandsworth Gas works and the junc Wandle with Thames. Fulham too.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Chelsea Creek Highways Department lot.

Screenshot_20220220-141718_Maps.jpg

Can you spot the grade 1 listed structure?