Moving aboard - your experiences of hindsight

northern

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If its a centre line attached to the roof it can go taught before the boat has finished ascending 

Exactly what happened -- but as I said, for the first time in well over a thousand locks... 😞

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Several boats at BWML Sawley  were moored to the pontoons using the centre lines, when the flood waters rose (the pontoons are fixed, not floating) the boats were tipped over onto their sides as the lines tightened.

In the 2007/19 floods we had the same issues ,moorers who had really tied their boats down with centre lines. Carolyn and I in the end just cut them as they were impossible to undo. The last time thick Mick was arguing with me afterwards about his lost rope! He was lucky I didn't give him a swimming lesson. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, peterboat said:

In the 2007/19 floods we had the same issues ,moorers who had really tied their boats down with centre lines. Carolyn and I in the end just cut them as they were impossible to undo. The last time thick Mick was arguing with me afterwards about his lost rope! He was lucky I didn't give him a swimming lesson. 

When I moored on the Middle Level I had to use a centre rope and it use to worry me as to what the water level was doing. When it did go up other moorers made sure every thing was OK

Worries over river marina with solid berths (narrowboatworld.com)

Sawley boats tied

The problem is that many boaters tie their boats to the top of the sliding rails then to the roof, preventing them rising in the event of flood, as shown.  Then as the flood water rises the boat is held down, until eventually in rushes the water, and being tied at the top of the rails, the rope slides down so it sinks.

BountyStringThree sunk

In addition to tying tightly to roofs, during last year three boats were sunk in floods as their sterns were allowed to float under the jetty and held down whilst the bow rose, the flood water eventually rushing into the stern and down it goes.

Yet all that the boats required was a 'spring' (as shown) holding the stern from going backwards under the jetty, so as the water rises, so does the entire boat, its ropes sliding up the rails with the flood water.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Worries over river marina with solid berths (narrowboatworld.com)

Sawley boats tied

The problem is that many boaters tie their boats to the top of the sliding rails then to the roof, preventing them rising in the event of flood, as shown.  Then as the flood water rises the boat is held down, until eventually in rushes the water, and being tied at the top of the rails, the rope slides down so it sinks.

BountyStringThree sunk

In addition to tying tightly to roofs, during last year three boats were sunk in floods as their sterns were allowed to float under the jetty and held down whilst the bow rose, the flood water eventually rushing into the stern and down it goes.

Yet all that the boats required was a 'spring' (as shown) holding the stern from going backwards under the jetty, so as the water rises, so does the entire boat, its ropes sliding up the rails with the flood water.

I like the last picture in that article!

"The flood lock protecting the marina"

F2FloodLock850.jpg

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

When I moored on the Middle Level I had to use a centre rope and it use to worry me as to what the water level was doing. When it did go up other moorers made sure every thing was OK

So did we, but a lot of boats plus fast rising water is a recipe for disaster! Some had chained their boats down to make it worse