Crane hire - ball park cost

starman

Featured Posts

I need to get my 60ft nb craned from hard standing at a farm onto a truck for transport to canals. 
I’m told I need a 100 tonne crane. I’ve been given a price by the local crane hire people but it strikes me as a bit steep. 
Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for what I ought to expect. It’s a straightforward site - lorry can sit alongside boat and crane along there too. 

27 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

Why do you need 100 tonne crane? Your boat will be <20tonnes.

That’s what the crane people specced after a site visit. The boat is quite heavy c. 25 tons. The same firm offloaded using smaller crane and said it was near the limit. 
The technicalities I don’t know but it doesn’t need long extended jib stuff. 

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Where are you in the country?

last time I had a 100T crane in to lift a widebeam, they charged £1200 plus Vat. Luckily the owner was willing to pay that.

I’m in Suffolk and it’s £1450 ex-VAT. It’s a local outfit - only about five miles away. 
I might query the need for a 100 tonner. The guy has looked at the site but I wasn’t there - maybe he’s taken a very pessimistic view on the boat weight. 

I have a 61’6” narrow boat that weighs 21T so you should be about the same, if not less as I have 16mm base plate. I was lifted out at the boatyard by a 100T when out for blackening, as they said it’s about the reach of the boom??? Unfortunately the crane operator has the final say and won’t cut corners.

Edited by PD1964

22 hours ago, David Mack said:

Because a 100 tonne crane is rated at 100 tonnes at minimum radius, and my guess is that the actual lifting radius may be rather greater, and so the crane capacity will be correspondingly reduced.

Exactly.

When I had to put some 40 tonne packaged generators onto the roof of a 14 storey building in London's Docklands I needed a 1,000 tonne crane because of the distance from the edge of the building where the generators were to be located.

0The price will depend on so many things it is impossible to guess.

Is it a "contract lift" where the brand company is responsible for every thing or are you just hiring the crane and driver, taking responsibility yourself for the site survey, ground conditions, overhead services, banksman etc etc?.  Contract lift is easiest and most expensive and unless you are a  construction professional it is probably what you want.

Your current quote is obvs for a larger crane than is essential as they offloaded with a smaller one.  Near the limit is not over it, so it may be they only have the bigger crane available and are charging accordingly, or are just making the job easy and quicker.

Try another local outfit and see how they compare on price.  Most companies will charge for at least 4 hours on site , maybe more, plus travelling time.

N

The crane guy gave me a pretty full explanation of the size needed and price. Basically they charge £1100 just for the crane to leave the yard. Plus the cost of a slinger/signaller person. 
Other crane firms are at least 20 miles away so I guess it’s bite the bullet time. 
At least the other end is a lot cheaper!