Jump to content

Eberspacher on when engine is running or not?


Featured Posts

I have so many dumb questions I should probably start a thread just for them...

 

I have a single coil calorifier, with hot water heated by an eberspacher (no idea of the model). I just press a button, it fires up, I leave it for an hour or two, and then I have enough hot water to last me 24 hours or so.

 

As my engine doesn't heat the water (I've been told to fit a double coil calorifier but that will have to be a job for another day...). I'm relying on the eberspacher alone for this.

 

What is the most advisable method in order to not damage any components? Run the eberspacher whilst I'm cruising or have the engine going, to take advantage of the fact that the batteries are charging at the same time (I assume the eberspacher uses some battery power in addition to diesel)? Or only run them separately as they're both using diesel, or some other reason I don't know?

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, thingsweregood said:

I have so many dumb questions I should probably start a thread just for them...

 

I have a single coil calorifier, with hot water heated by an eberspacher (no idea of the model). I just press a button, it fires up, I leave it for an hour or two, and then I have enough hot water to last me 24 hours or so.

 

As my engine doesn't heat the water (I've been told to fit a double coil calorifier but that will have to be a job for another day...). I'm relying on the eberspacher alone for this.

 

What is the most advisable method in order to not damage any components? Run the eberspacher whilst I'm cruising or have the engine going, to take advantage of the fact that the batteries are charging at the same time (I assume the eberspacher uses some battery power in addition to diesel)? Or only run them separately as they're both using diesel, or some other reason I don't know?

 

Thank you!

Running it while the engine is running will supply it with the best voltage, take nothing from your batteries and not disturb anyone with the noise it makes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Running it while the engine is running will supply it with the best voltage, take nothing from your batteries and not disturb anyone with the noise it makes

 

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

 

This

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, thingsweregood said:

I have so many dumb questions I should probably start a thread just for them...

 

I have a single coil calorifier, with hot water heated by an eberspacher (no idea of the model). I just press a button, it fires up, I leave it for an hour or two, and then I have enough hot water to last me 24 hours or so.

 

As my engine doesn't heat the water (I've been told to fit a double coil calorifier but that will have to be a job for another day...). I'm relying on the eberspacher alone for this.

 

What is the most advisable method in order to not damage any components? Run the eberspacher whilst I'm cruising or have the engine going, to take advantage of the fact that the batteries are charging at the same time (I assume the eberspacher uses some battery power in addition to diesel)? Or only run them separately as they're both using diesel, or some other reason I don't know?

 

Thank you!

I'd certainly run with the double coil calorifier at some time in the future if I were you (that is what I have, not that I'm biased;)). As others have said I can't see any problem with running both together but you will be using twice as much diesel. My Eberspacher uses about a litre of fuel an hour, as does the engine whereas during the cruising season (Jan - Dec:rolleyes:) I don't need to use the Eberspacher for hot water since the engine supplies all that is needed whilst still only burning about a litre an hour.

 

The main use I have for the Eberspacher is for that period in the year when you need some heating (Octoberish), but when the coal fire will turn the boat into a sauna.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'd certainly run with the double coil calorifier at some time in the future if I were you (that is what I have, not that I'm biased;)). As others have said I can't see any problem with running both together but you will be using twice as much diesel. My Eberspacher uses about a litre of fuel an hour, as does the engine whereas during the cruising season (Jan - Dec:rolleyes:) I don't need to use the Eberspacher for hot water since the engine supplies all that is needed whilst still only burning about a litre an hour.

 

The main use I have for the Eberspacher is for that period in the year when you need some heating (Octoberish), but when the coal fire will turn the boat into a sauna.

Ah yes, good shout on the double fuel consumption. Maybe it's better I get the calorifier replaced sooner rather than later then, as I'll probably end up spending the cost of the unit on just fuel consumption between now whenever I was planning on getting it replaced! Which model of double coil calorifier do you have?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Running it while the engine is running will supply it with the best voltage, take nothing from your batteries and not disturb anyone with the noise it makes

Got it! Good to know I won't be breaking anything by running them at the same time. Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, thingsweregood said:

Ah yes, good shout on the double fuel consumption. Maybe it's better I get the calorifier replaced sooner rather than later then, as I'll probably end up spending the cost of the unit on just fuel consumption between now whenever I was planning on getting it replaced! Which model of double coil calorifier do you have?

 

That is a very good question to which I have no answer:huh:. It came with the boat and in fact has an immersion heater in the calorifier as well (that has been broken for years and I haven't bothered to repair, mainly because I'd had the boat for 3 years before I even realised one).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If your calorifier has an unused immersion heater boss you can fit a conversion coil - there is a previous thread on here.

E.g https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124185545119

The reason I haven't bothered to repair it is because I didn't think the potential of damaging the perfectly serviceable calorifier by trying to get the broken immersion heater out was worth the risk, particularly as I've never needed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can fit another flange to the calorifier for a hot rod conversion with either a soldered in brass flange if its a copper calorifier or an Essex 2 1/2" flange kit. There is a guy in Warrington who makes and sells any size of conversion rod you want on ebay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If your calorifier has an unused immersion heater boss you can fit a conversion coil - there is a previous thread on here.

E.g https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124185545119

What would an immersion heater be used for in a nb calorfier and why?

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You can fit another flange to the calorifier for a hot rod conversion with either a soldered in brass flange if its a copper calorifier or an Essex 2 1/2" flange kit. There is a guy in Warrington who makes and sells any size of conversion rod you want on ebay.

Does this essentially make a single coil calorifer into a twin coil on by way of retrofitting it with a stick that heats up via the engine?  Sorry wasn't sure if this reply was in reference to my question or Wanderer's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, thingsweregood said:

What would an immersion heater be used for in a nb calorfier and why?

Does this essentially make a single coil calorifer into a twin coil on by way of retrofitting it with a stick that heats up via the engine?  Sorry wasn't sure if this reply was in reference to my question or Wanderer's

 Yes, its an elongated coil that goes in vertically rather than in the side. Works providing it has pumped hot water fed through it, won't work on gravity systems. So the ebbersmasher or the engine will heat the cylinder. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, thingsweregood said:

What would an immersion heater be used for in a nb calorfier and why?

 

For when you are tied up in the marina with a 240 volt power supply like quite a few are most of the time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why be sad, most who have replied to you here wouldn't be. Boats are for cruising if possible.

Oh, I'm not actually sad! I suppose I meant it in the 'things are just a little more complicated if you're never in a marina' with regards to power, water etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, thingsweregood said:

Ah yes, good shout on the double fuel consumption.

Well, not really. Whilst the Engine might typically use 1.25-1.5 litres per hour, and the Eber maybe half that, your original question was whether to use them together or separately. Either way, they'll both use the same per hour individually, so the total will be the same - however you use them. 

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Well, not really. Whilst the Engine might typically use 1.25-1.5 litres per hour, and the Eber maybe half that, your original question was whether to use them together or separately. Either way, they'll both use the same per hour individually, so the total will be the same - however you use them. 

I meant more that if I were to get a double coil calorifier I would be reducing fuel consumption by killing two birds with one stone so to speak, where as currently I'm keeping the processes separate (even if the fuel consumption isn't exactly the same rate for eber/engine)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, thingsweregood said:

I meant more that if I were to get a double coil calorifier I would be reducing fuel consumption by killing two birds with one stone so to speak, where as currently I'm keeping the processes separate (even if the fuel consumption isn't exactly the same rate for eber/engine)

Ah, then the cauliflower wins every time! I've got a little towel radiator in the cauliflower return leg too - keeps the chill off the bathroom very nicely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.