FANFARO engine oil

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

What is API CG-4  I use API CC

The can from the OP's link says SG on the can image. While JonesBoy's link does say CG on the can. It claims to be mixed fleet oil so I suspect its a misprint for SG but it would be enough to stop me trusting it.

This engine oil classification seem to be a bit of a nightmare

According to the API

SG/CD, SG seems classed for gasoline engines and CD is for diesel both categories are obsolete.

CG-4/CF-4 are for diesel engines as is CC but these are also obsolete.

For my Beta 43, Beta say CF but according to API this is also obsolete.

Have been using this oil for many years and all seems fine, Smith & Allan have been in business since 1925 so should know what they are doing.

Thanks for all your comets, got myself a bit mixed up, I will stick with the one I have used since day one ( now 61/2 years old ) for any one with a barrus shire engine this is the one that has the same speck as barrus shire oil https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292756847646?epid=652387465&hash=item4429aafc1e:g:gdMAAOSwS~Fbthtn

7 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Thanks for all your comets, got myself a bit mixed up, I will stick with the one I have used since day one ( now 61/2 years old ) for any one with a barrus shire engine this is the one that has the same speck as barrus shire oil https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292756847646?epid=652387465&hash=item4429aafc1e:g:gdMAAOSwS~Fbthtn

And for @JonesBoy they also do a CF oil I think you will find

1 hour ago, JonesBoy said:

This engine oil classification seem to be a bit of a nightmare

According to the API

SG/CD, SG seems classed for gasoline engines and CD is for diesel both categories are obsolete.

CG-4/CF-4 are for diesel engines as is CC but these are also obsolete.

For my Beta 43, Beta say CF but according to API this is also obsolete.

Have been using this oil for many years and all seems fine, Smith & Allan have been in business since 1925 so should know what they are doing.

Yes, the API classifications are obsolete. But some of us are boating around with engine designs that are obsolete. So it is right that we use the right oil classification for engine.

Our obsolete engines are happy with mineral oil, 15w40. Avoid synthetic and semi-synthetic and you'll be fine. Thuink how many tens of thousands of Japanese diesel engines there are in plant all over the world, and hazard a guess as to how many actually get regular servicing. 

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

And for @JonesBoy they also do a CF oil I think you will find

Thanks ditchcrawler but have already got my oil and did the service last week. It’s the Smith & Allan stuff CG-4/CF-4 still obsolete according to API but two steps above CF and one step above CF-4. ?

Don’t say marine on it so a reasonable price.

Engine not blown up yet so quite happy with it.?