Calor Gas currently not supplying new fills

PeterF

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

cut base out put loads of scrap iron in then pour concrete until its full. 

Allow to set. You now have a mudweight for the dink. 

(A theory I have not tried it). 

It would be even better to knock the valve off and the shroud and fit a stout eye bolt then do the scrap and concrete thing after that. 

I have an anchor. 

1 minute ago, Bargebuilder said:

Someone so inclined and prepared to break the rules and accept the risk, will get a shiny new 4.5kg bottle while they still can and keep refilling it themselves.

Nobody does that, surely. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

But shorely a mud weight is useful as well. Put spikes on it and write 'MINE' to keep baddies away from the dinghy. 

Spikes and rubber dinghies do not sound like a good combination. 

Someone so inclined and prepared to break the rules and accept the risk, will get a shiny new 4.5kg bottle while they still can and keep refilling it themselves.

Yes I think it was Alan de E who pointed out that Calor sell a POL to POL hose the only use for which is to connect two bottles together for transfer between. 

Not tried it but it is quite appealing given that one of my boats uses 13kg and the other uses 3.9/4.5 or 6/7kg bottles. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Nobody does that, surely. 

Spikes and rubber dinghies do not sound like a good combination. 

Ah its an inflatable. OK. I thought you have a proper dinghy. 

My anchor is blunt and made of rubber so it doesn't harm the boat 

Yes I think it was Alan de E who pointed out that Calor sell a POL to POL hose the only use for which is to connect two bottles together for transfer between. 

Not tried it but it is quite appealing given that one of my boats uses 13kg and the other uses 3.9/4.5 or 6/7kg bottles. 

Ah its an inflatable. OK. I thought you have a proper dinghy. 

I sold it last week. 

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/35-148-propane-gas-pigtail-pol-x-pol.html

The biggest risk is apparently overfilling but if you put the little bottle on scales and just don't fill it anywhere near full then presumably its all okay. 

It does seem an interesting solution in a number of ways. 

Disclaimer: If you do this and die horribly in awful pain caused by burning gas in the liquid phase coming out of your cooker don't come running to me to complain. 

Edited by magnetman

4 minutes ago, magnetman said:

But to fill a 4.5kg calor bottle you need a 21.8mm reverse thread hose connector, not a POL connector.

We had a family BBQ yesterday at ours. While cleaning the bbq in the morning the gas ran out. 

Could have sworn there was loads left the last time we used it!

Our plan had been to buy a refillable 11kg Gaslow for it, but with time not on our side we had to go and seek out a replacement patio gas bottle.

They are, shall we say, a tad expensive nowadays. £54 for a 13kg. My Yorkshire side came out when I had to pay.

"HOW MUCH!"

Not making that mistake again. Gaslow bottle now ordered and will be delivered early next week. It can sit in the garage until we have rung out every last scrap of gas from this Calor bottle 🙄

8 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

while they still can and keep refilling it themselves.

It is so easy to do - Despite what Calor say, they'll even supply you with a hose to decant with.

Had this discussion many times now - other hose and fitting suppliers than Calor have confirmed to me that the 'link' hoses have no one-way valves in them. I have previously posted extracts from the emails confirming this.

Just now, Naughty Cal said:

We had a family BBQ yesterday at ours. While cleaning the bbq in the morning the gas ran out. 

Could have sworn there was loads left the last time we used it!

Our plan had been to buy a refillable 11kg Gaslow for it, but with time not on our side we had to go and seek out a replacement patio gas bottle.

They are, shall we say, a tad expensive nowadays. £54 for a 13kg. My Yorkshire side came out when I had to pay.

"HOW MUCH!"

Not making that mistake again. Gaslow bottle now ordered and will be delivered early next week. It can sit in the garage until we have rung out every last scrap of gas from this Calor bottle 🙄

They do sometimes leak, though apparently calor check them, so this shouldn't be common. 

We currently have a leaking one. We have to turn it off at the tap when not in use. It's a standard calor 13Kg Propane. 

In 29.5 yars living on boats I have never used a blue calor gas bottle. Not once. 

I haven't been living in boats as long as you, but the blue ones are very common for sail boaters who don't spend winter onboard. 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

They do sometimes leak, though apparently calor check them, so this shouldn't be common. 

We currently have a leaking one. We have to turn it off at the tap when not in use. It's a standard calor 13Kg Propane. 

I haven't been living in boats as long as you, but the blue ones are very common for sail boaters who don't spend winter onboard. 

Yes. also I believe butane has a slightly higher calorific value so it is marginally more cost effective. 

My trawler was built to take the small calor bottles but luckily the holders are external and the next size up are the same diameter. The boat was built for residential use and had a pair of 3.9 propane bottles when I bought it. I now use the 6kg propane although it doesn't look as tidy. 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes. also I believe butane has a slightly higher calorific value so it is marginally more cost effective. 

My trawler was built to take the small calor bottles but luckily the holders are external and the next size up are the same diameter. The boat was built for residential use and had a pair of 3.9 propane bottles when I bought it. I now use the 6kg propane although it doesn't look as tidy. 

Or possibly the other way around?

Or possibly the other way around?

apparently 

L.P.G. has a high calorific value (Propane 95 MJ/m3 Butane 121 MJ/m3 ) compared with natural gas.

That is quite a big difference! 

11 minutes ago, magnetman said:

In 29.5 yars living on boats I have never used a blue calor gas bottle. Not once. 

I have. 

I cut a 3" hole in each end and welded 2 1/2" BSP barrel nipples into each end and fitted it into the exhaust of my K1. It took the edge off the single cylinder exhaust bark perfectly. 

27 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

But to fill a 4.5kg calor bottle you need a 21.8mm reverse thread hose connector, not a POL connector.

But who uses Butane for out door use ?

I have just been and tried my POL regulator and it fits all of the cylinder range from the 3.9Kg to a 47kg

You obviously could not use a POL connector on either end if you are using butane - you'd need a butane 'pig-tail'

21 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Why would they need to when there is a valve at both bottles?

Because the supposed 'gas experts' here say that they have one way valves in the pig tail to stop you decanting.

They dont !

£15 directly from Calor Gas

Calor Essentials 0.75m (30") POL x POL Standard Hose | Hoses and Pigtails | Calor Gas Appliances

Under £9 from elsewhere

POL X POL Black LPG Gas Propane Pigtail (igasdirect.co.uk)

They even tell you its a 'straight through'

Screenshot (2202).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield