Calor Gas currently not supplying new fills

PeterF

Featured Posts

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Our "Cat" being French has gas lockers designed to hold 2x Gaz 907 cylinders - however 2x 3.9kg Calor propane cylinders JUST fit in so it saves a fortune.

Camping Gaz 2.7kg are about £37, whilst the 3.9kg calor are only £18.50,

Half the price for 50% extra gas.

Our Sealine locker was designed for 2x Camping Gaz 907 bottles. It physically didn't fit the Calor bottles. We tried several times over the years you just couldn't jiggle them in.

Just wondering if that is why Martyn doesn't seem to be having trouble getting hold of gas bottles when others do?

One thing we certainly don't miss changing gas bottles :)

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our "Cat" being French has gas lockers designed to hold 2x Gaz 907 cylinders - however 2x 3.9kg Calor propane cylinders JUST fit in so it saves a fortune.

Calor is a huge rip off. £38.50 for 13kg but 63 squids for 47kg

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Calor is a huge rip off. £38.50 for 13kg but 63 squids for 47kg

Agreed - I think we are paying £65 for the 47s

Its not really rip off - look at any product and there is no apparent relationship in price between a 'small pack' and a 'big pack' - but - it works both ways, Birds Eye chicken grills are £1 for 2, or £3.50 for 6. Where is the logic for that - more packaging, more handling costs etc etc

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

You are all old to remember those petrol prices. When I started driving 20 odd years ago is was 90ppl :unsure:

We paid 136ppl for diesel on Sunday at our local garage. Petrol was a couple of pence per litre cheaper.

I'm surprised fuel has not gone up more per litre in the last 20 years to be honest. It is only 44ppl more expensive which when you look at how much other items have increased in price over that same time frame probably isn't as bad as it could be. 

Do you use the Calors or the Camping Gaz cylinders?

If you consider the increases in duty and taxes the actual fuel cost may have gone down.

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've always found Calor Gas to be amazingly cheap....

31 minutes ago, MtB said:

I've always found Calor Gas to be amazingly cheap....

Compared to Gaz, it is, compared to gas prices in Spain it is expensive.

In Spain a 12.5kg cylinder is around  Euro 14, about £12, under 50%of the UK Calor price.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

ts not really rip off - look at any product and there is no apparent relationship in price between a 'small pack' and a 'big pack' - but - it works both ways, Birds Eye chicken grills are £1 for 2, or £3.50 for 6. Where is the logic for that - more packaging, more handling costs etc etc

That chicken grills is more of an evil supermarket marketing ploy, using peoples expectation of larger packs being cheaper to rip them off. You'll quite often see the price per item drop as the multi-pack gets bigger, except for the very biggest, which will be worse value. They'll also put the most expensive version of anything on the shelves closest to most peoples eye line, with the cheaper ones on the shelves above and below, so they are more likely to be picked. Again, any one not taking the time to compare prices properly, including a bit of mental arithmetic, is more likely to pick the higher profit margin item. Doesn't apply to gas bottles really. That is more a monopoly/cartel thing.

Jen

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our Sealine locker was designed for 2x Camping Gaz 907 bottles. It physically didn't fit the Calor bottles. We tried several times over the years you just couldn't jiggle them in.

Just wondering if that is why Martyn doesn't seem to be having trouble getting hold of gas bottles when others do?

Campingaz 907

Same as the S23 in that respect.

Campigaz has always been  expensive but a big  job to change the gas locker  so just have to put up with it

20 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Campingaz 907

Same as the S23 in that respect.

Campigaz has always been  expensive but a big  job to change the gas locker  so just have to put up with it

Probably why you are not finding problems sourcing it. It is Calor that are having supply issues not Camping Gaz :lol:

What's the price on the 907 bottle nowadays? Must be heading for £40 a bottle?

They were about £35 a bottle when we last bought one in 2019!

Edited by Naughty Cal

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Compared to Gaz, it is, compared to gas prices in Spain it is expensive.

In Spain a 12.5kg cylinder is around  Euro 14, about £12, under 50%of the UK Calor price.

The Spanish price is very similar to the price we are paying for our LPG in our refillable Gaslow bottles. Costs about £11 to refill a 11kg bottle

Makes it much cheaper to run gas appliances when compared with Calor which is a good thing now our heating, hot water, fridge and cooking are all gas (or electric when we are plugged in which we rarely are).:rolleyes:

Dumd question ... I can see that calor comes in different coloured bottles. The ones I've mainly seen in use on boats is orange and is Propane. I've also seen green bottles, again 13Kg labelled Patio Gas and are made by Calor and are also Porpane. Are they interchangeable?

Edited by PCSB
speelinh

30 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Dumd question ... I can see that calor comes in different coloured bottles. The ones I've mainly seen in use on boats is orange and is Propane. I've also seen green bottles, again 13Kg labelled Patio Gas and are made by Calor and are also Porpane. Are they interchangeable?

They have different connecters just to be able to rip you off even more. At present calor will only swop like for like size and type.

52 minutes ago, PCSB said:

Orange is propane, blue is butane, green is patio gas, which is is just propane in a fancy bottle with a clip on connection instead of the screw in version of the standard orange propane cylinder.

Edited by David Mack

24 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

They have different connecters just to be able to rip you off even more. At present calor will only swop like for like size and type.

Thanks, and that figues :)

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Orange is propane, blue is butane, green is patio gas, which is is just propane in a fancy bottle with a clip on connection instead of the screw in version of the standard orange propane cylinder.

According to the calor site it is just propane in the patio gas.

Been on two caravan club sites this week.

Not only do you have to have a cylinder to exchange but you have to be actually staying on site to qualiify for a swap.

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Probably why you are not finding problems sourcing it. It is Calor that are having supply issues not Camping Gaz :lol:

What's the price on the 907 bottle nowadays? Must be heading for £40 a bottle?

They were about £35 a bottle when we last bought one in 2019!

I understand Calor provide the service of filling Campingaz cylinders and the gas used is Butane as used  in blue Calor cylinders . The initial issues including last year were shortage of gas , not shortage of cylinders. 

There was a short supply Campingaz  early this year with the reason given by Lowdham Caravans being  due to the shortage of gas.

A 907 refill just under £40 at Farndon  since last year and £34 at the weekend at Lowdham Caravans (was £31.50 in June).  Lowdham caravans buy in greater  quantities so I understand this how they get a better price.

We probably use three refills  in a year on average  so its not going to break the bank. 

Not even sure the refillable gaslow cylinders would fit in my gas locker - the 907's are a very tight fit.

Last time I looked there were gas cylinders of all shapes at Farndon Marina (at top prices of course).

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

I understand Calor provide the service of filling Campingaz cylinders and the gas used is Butane as used  in blue Calor cylinders . The initial issues including last year were shortage of gas , not shortage of cylinders. 

There was a short supply Campingaz  early this year with the reason given by Lowdham Caravans being  due to the shortage of gas.

A 907 refill just under £40 at Farndon  since last year and £34 at the weekend at Lowdham Caravans (was £31.50 in June).  Lowdham caravans buy in greater  quantities so I understand this how they get a better price.

We probably use three refills  in a year on average  so its not going to break the bank. 

Not even sure the refillable gaslow cylinders would fit in my gas locker - the 907's are a very tight fit.

Last time I looked there were gas cylinders of all shapes at Farndon Marina (at top prices of course).

You would have a job getting the boat to the LPG pump :lol:

18 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You would have a job getting the boat to the LPG pump :lol:

Is it not possible to have a refill adaptor that allows the cylinder to be taken to the fuel station?

Just now, MartynG said:

Is it not possible to have a refill adaptor that allows the cylinder to be taken to the fuel station?

I'm not sure if there is an adapter for the Gaslow bottles to refill them direct. There is probably something kicking around on Ebay, there is for the Calor bottles!

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

I'm not sure if there is an adapter for the Gaslow bottles to refill them direct. There is probably something kicking around on Ebay, there is for the Calor bottles!

I thought the point of the gas low bottles was to refill them from a pump. Do you mean camping Gaz? 

Are there any rumours of supply improving,just switch over To my last bottle 3.9 propane which will be ok for about 2 weeks,so no panick yet,but was panicking before  setting off on this 4 week trip and had to do a drive around looking for refills

58 minutes ago, frangar said:

I thought the point of the gas low bottles was to refill them from a pump. Do you mean camping Gaz? 

Yes. The Gaslow bottles are refillable through a fitting on the side of the vehicle. Not something that you can just carry around with you to fill up removeable bottles.

24 minutes ago, mickp said:

Are there any rumours of supply improving,just switch over To my last bottle 3.9 propane which will be ok for about 2 weeks,so no panick yet,but was panicking before  setting off on this 4 week trip and had to do a drive around looking for refills

I don't think supply is improving just yet. There are still plenty of people doing van conversions who are crying out for bottles.