Does anyone know what this figure is called?

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

I would like the attention of the wise if you would be so good.

What the biologists call a "Double helix", Is there another name for this in engineering or mathematics?

Silly question I know, but I have good (and laudable) reasons for asking but can't be arsed to type it all out!

Edited to say.... Bugger! by double helix I don't mean the two parallel lines in helix, I mean that the whole helix is spiralled again around a new centre, think lamp filiament.

Edited by snibble

He misread the article - it was meant to mean "helix", the plural of which is "helices".

I can't find it referred to anywhere other than just a "double-helix"

Chris

Hi Chris.

That’s what I meant, more than one helix = helices.

So could I not refer to “a helices” as in a single object with more than one helix?

i.e. a coil made out of a coil.

Or have I just confused myself again? :lol:

John

It's just called a coiled coil. Nothing more hifalutin or clever than that, I'm afraid.

But it is Fridaaay so it could be called the 'multiplicity of twisting thingsnesse' or a very very long beer straw...

Like this?semzarx.gif

Surely that just has a single helix?I understood a double helix to be where there were two, as on woodscrews designed for chipboard. A narrowboat propellor is an example of a triple helix.Glass jam jars often have multiple helix on the lid threads...

From Wikipedia:-

"A double helix typically consists geometrically of two congruent helices with the same axis, differing by a translation along the axis, which may or may not be half-way".

Edited to say I was trying to think of a word for parallel, but not in a straight line....congruent it is....

Edited by Hairy-Neil

Surely that just has a single helix?I understood a double helix to be where there were two, as on woodscrews designed for chipboard. A narrowboat propellor is an example of a triple helix.Glass jam jars often have multiple helix on the lid threads...

Not technically true, as it is a single helix thats been coiled!

A double helix implies that it contains two helices in paralell or joined in some way, I thought chipboard screws only had one? A propellor is a segmented helix!

I would go for 'compund helix' or 'coiled coil', since your actually coiling the bit thats already coiled and not a new one - i.e not two helices! Known as a second order function in maths!