Survey near York

BoatjackHorseboat

Featured Posts

Hullo,

Got me an offer down on a 32ft fibreglass Dawncraft (w/ outboard) that's out the water near York. Boat is £6.5k.

Quote from surveyor I had in mind = £380. A bit higher than I expected - considering the end of the market we're talking about - I'm on a budget.

Quote from surveyor arrangeable by yard = £200. Concerns me that it's quite low, esp as I didn't choose the guy ('Gallion Marine' - if anyone has any experience?)

Or can anyone recommend us a goldilocks surveyor who might charge a happy medium? :)

2 hours ago, BoatjackHorseboat said:

Quote from surveyor I had in mind = £380. A bit higher than I expected - considering the end of the market we're talking about - I'm on a budget.

Quote from surveyor arrangeable by yard = £200. Concerns me that it's quite low, esp as I didn't choose the guy ('Gallion Marine' - if anyone has any experience?)

It takes just as long to survey a GRP £6000 boat as it does to survey a £30,000 GRP boat, pay peanuts get monkeys.

If you want a proper job doing they pay the proper rate (unless you can afford to lose your £6000)

You have a message.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

£8-£10 per foot.

Indeed - my hopes were for 32 x 8 = £256

You're right, though, not too excessive. I've just got a spreadsheet staring back at me and am trying to make the number at the bottom go a bit smaller, hahah

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

pay peanuts get monkeys

I'm actually allergic to peanuts, so this maxim has extra oomph

Know it's not the most thrilling topic, but anyone got ideas of a surveyor who might fit the bill? Want to get it sorted today!

Or... guy I'm thinking of going with for *slightly over the odds* is John Crompton of https://www.smallboatsurveys.com/ - anyone used him before? (pls pm me if you'd rather not say here)

16 hours ago, BoatjackHorseboat said:

Indeed - my hopes were for 32 x 8 = £256

You're right, though, not too excessive. I've just got a spreadsheet staring back at me and am trying to make the number at the bottom go a bit smaller, hahah

Ha ha indeed!

Buying the boat is only the start.

I have a "cheap" grp cruiser,but the spending on it has been like "death by a thousand cuts"To list a few things,but not all by any means; outboard hood £15,solar panel £30,charge controller £9,heater £100,fittings etc for heater£100,perspex for windows £40,floor covering £70,paint and filler £40,wiring,switches,tubing,odd tools that I needed,£can't remember,TV and ariel £100+.

There is more that I can't remember,but although you would like the initial number at the bottom of your spreadsheet smaller,I find it more depressing to think of the amount of money spent on a "cheap" grp cruiser.

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Ha ha indeed!

Buying the boat is only the start.

I have a "cheap" grp cruiser,but the spending on it has been like "death by a thousand cuts"To list a few things,but not all by any means; outboard hood £15,solar panel £30,charge controller £9,heater £100,fittings etc for heater£100,perspex for windows £40,floor covering £70,paint and filler £40,wiring,switches,tubing,odd tools that I needed,£can't remember,TV and ariel £100+.

There is more that I can't remember,but although you would like the initial number at the bottom of your spreadsheet smaller,I find it more depressing to think of the amount of money spent on a "cheap" grp cruiser.

Harrold, did the name of  your boat not suggest something to you?  :offtopic::giggles:

I wish you well with your cheap boat, may you be lucky and all your troubles be small.   But it will not be cheap by the time you have finished.

3 hours ago, BoatjackHorseboat said:

Or... guy I'm thinking of going with for *slightly over the odds* is John Crompton of https://www.smallboatsurveys.com/ - anyone used him before? (pls pm me if you'd rather not say here)

I see you are sorted now, but John is fine - does "proper boat" surveys (seagoing yachts and cruisers) as well as canal boats.  

Last time I wanted to use him he was halfway across the Bay of Biscay on a yacht delivery trip so I had to get someone else!

• Greenie 1

Ey up again,

Following survey gotta make a decision tomorrow afternoon...

Back halves of rubbing strakes need replacing (quoted at a mean £1500 from broker's yard)

Crack in the prow (they'll glass it when they do strakes)

Boat's not been used in 2 years. Is damp/wet inside:

Probable leaks from the roof rail fixing points (rails are wooden + rotten, fixing screws rusty)

Probable leaks from the windows (moss growing and seals look worse for wear)

Definite leaks from side porthole ventilation things

Definite leaks around solid fuel stove flue / chimney (literally see daylight, drips occasionally)

Some curtains are damp. Some are like squeegees.

It just snowed and it was pressure washed all over a few days ago - which may or may not be worth taking into account.

Hull is v sound - surprisingly blister-free

Got a 20hp 4 stroke 2011 Honda outboard on

It's a Highbridge Crusader 32. Quite sought after. Price right now is £5750 (negotiated from original £7000)

I have time, but not huge money after strakes repairs. I have DIY skills but little boat knowledge. I need to make it dry inside.

Worth taking on or run away?

4 minutes ago, BoatjackHorseboat said:

Ey up again,

Following survey gotta make a decision tomorrow afternoon...

Back halves of rubbing strakes need replacing (quoted at a mean £1500 from broker's yard)

Crack in the prow (they'll glass it when they do strakes)

Boat's not been used in 2 years. Is damp/wet inside:

Probable leaks from the roof rail fixing points (rails are wooden + rotten, fixing screws rusty)

Probable leaks from the windows (moss growing and seals look worse for wear)

Definite leaks from side porthole ventilation things

Definite leaks around solid fuel stove flue / chimney (literally see daylight, drips occasionally)

Some curtains are damp. Some are like squeegees.

It just snowed and it was pressure washed all over a few days ago - which may or may not be worth taking into account.

Hull is v sound - surprisingly blister-free

Got a 20hp 4 stroke 2011 Honda outboard on

It's a Highbridge Crusader 32. Quite sought after. Price right now is £5750 (negotiated from original £7000)

I have time, but not huge money after strakes repairs. I have DIY skills but little boat knowledge. I need to make it dry inside.

Worth taking on or run away?

Assuming you knew it was wet/leaking inside when you agreed the price:

The strakes and the hull crack raised by your survey will cost more than a quarter of your offer - if the seller won't pay this, run fast.

Even if they will pay the £1500 (does that include doing the fibreglassing of the crack?), there will be quite a lot of work to replace all the window seals, handrails stovepipe etc.  Some of it could be the weather conditions, but if it's been stood damp for a couple of years it's going to be a full refit - and that won't just be a couple of grand if you want to do a good job.

I think I'd leave it personally, but it's your money. 

Have you looked at many other boats in the £5,000-£10,000 price range?  You should hopefully be able to get a dry boat that doesn't need major work in that category.

You are right in that the Highbridge Crusader is quite sought after,so the asking prices have increased.

This one seems to have all the usual issues with old,neglected grp boats.

Leaking windows and deck and hull fittings,and sratched gel coat.

All the faults listed can be fixed if you have reasonable DIY skills.But,the list of faults will take a colossal amount of work or expense if you have to pay to have the work done.

The hull strakes (not the gunwale ones) can be dispensed with,as opinions vary as to their usefulness.

Fibreglass is easy to repair but difficult to get a really professional finish.

The real time consuming job is fixing leaking windows and leaking deck and hull fittings.They will all need to be stripped and re sealed.I have done this with my grp boat and I do not want to this again!

For the price you are paying for this boat,I am sure you can find another grp boat that doesn't need so much work (although not a Highbridge) 

I know to walk away will be galling having paid your survey fee etc,but you have a tough decision to make.

Best of luck.

I tore myself away.

Galling doesn't cover it.

but new lockdown felt like the cherry on the cake of potential problems.

Who knows, they might turn round and tell me the queue of people behind me was imaginary, and drop the asking price, but I doubt it.

Here's to a drier boat and better times in the not too distant future.

Edited by BoatjackHorseboat
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, BoatjackHorseboat said:

I tore myself away.

Who knows, they might turn round and tell me the queue of people behind me was imaginary, and drop the asking price, but I doubt it.

You Know It makes Sense.png

35 minutes ago, BoatjackHorseboat said:

I tore myself away.

If this possibly "queue of people" are as sensible as you,then there may be difficulty selling it.

If you really want it,bearing in mind the work required,you could try an offer of £3000,standing of course out of thumping range,or perhaps safer over the 'phone.

If you need further advice on grp boats and others just ask,there are people on CWF who have been boating since Pontius got his pilot's licence,and are happy to help.

57 minutes ago, BoatjackHorseboat said:

I tore myself away.

The money you have spent is an investment for the future, you now know what to look for, what to avoid, most of those faults were probably obvious if you took your rose tinted glasses off, and looked at next boat as something that sounds too good to be true. 

I saw a little boat last year that was sold for £3.5K, for a young couple to live on board. 

I shivered with dread as the hull was a mess, but hey, it had a working engine, and heating, so at one time it had been looked after.

I sold them my second hand solar kit, and an inverter, £65. I remember the amount 'cos it was their last £65.00!

I hope they managed to get organised, not easy when both were on disability. The confidence of youth :)

Edited by LadyG