Can I run my diesel genny on heating oil?

jenevers

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

diesel or petrol generator. if diesel the 32 second heating oil is in effect diesel. I think its only forms of transport that can not use "red" fuel

Yes but is heating oil not 28 second? I know Gardners were able to run on paraffin, according to the manual.

Edited by jenevers

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I doubt that is true. Petrol would make the lubricity worse, more like lube oil.

You are correct - had a brain fart, I was back onto making TVO (Tractor Vapourising Oil) for my Little Grey Fergy.

Add about 1/2 cup of engine oil per gallon of 28 secind burning oil.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes, you would need to add a % of petrol as the CH oil lacks the lunbication of diesel.

5 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I doubt that is true. Petrol would make the lubricity worse, more like lube oil.

2 stroke oil is the stuff you add to kero to make it ok to put in a diesel engine tinternet is full of how much needed

• Greenie 1

Diesel engines were originally designed to run on peanut oil.Dried algae can also be used to run them,with the exhaust being H2O!!.

I have a Barrus-Shire engine,and they recommend NOT to use bio diesel!.

If its an old "chugger",I would try an 80/20 mix with 20% red.

If its modern...its up to you!?

You might be breaking the law, though not sure.

The heating oil is not the same as diesel, but as said a bit of oil to up the lubricity and a bit of petrol to up the cetane might sort it out, or you could use a proper additive.

The viscosity will be wrong, some injector pumps will cope, some might not. Your genny might not last as long as it should..

The local tip has been on lock down for ages so I have 20 litres of used engine oil......would you like it ?

.................Dave

11 minutes ago, dmr said:

You might be breaking the law, though not sure.

The heating oil is not the same as diesel, but as said a bit of oil to up the lubricity and a bit of petrol to up the cetane might sort it out, or you could use a proper additive.

The viscosity will be wrong, some injector pumps will cope, some might not. Your genny might not last as long as it should..

The local tip has been on lock down for ages so I have 20 litres of used engine oil......would you like it ?

.................Dave

Dave its just fine with the 2 stroke oil honest I talk from experience

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Dave its just fine with the 2 stroke oil honest I talk from experience

Why use two stroke? you could have my used engine oil for free ?.

My guess (as opposed to your experience ?) is that proper in line pumps will be fine but that some rotary pumps will be less happy.

I got some bad diesel a few years ago, and I suspect that was heating oil, our engine really didn't like it much, spectacular smoke though.

.............Dave

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

Why use two stroke? you could have my used engine oil for free ?.

My guess (as opposed to your experience ?) is that proper in line pumps will be fine but that some rotary pumps will be less happy.

I got some bad diesel a few years ago, and I suspect that was heating oil, our engine really didn't like it much, spectacular smoke though.

.............Dave

Rotary pumps just fine but high pressure systems I suspect might not be fine

33 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The CAV and others might be ok, the Stanadyne will have a terminal failure if it even thinks you might be putting the wrong fuel through it ?. Unfortunately we have a Stanadyne.

The new high pressure/common rail systems are the work of the devil, rather sad that injection systems went high tech just at the same time that diesel went lo tech (bio).

.............Dave

1 hour ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Diesel engines were originally designed to run on peanut oil.Dried algae can also be used to run them,with the exhaust being H2O!!.

I have a Barrus-Shire engine,and they recommend NOT to use bio diesel!.

If its an old "chugger",I would try an 80/20 mix with 20% red.

If its modern...its up to you!?

Are you sure, I thought the original plan was to use coal dust ??

......Dave

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, peterboat said:

I have read a number of reports of DPAs suffering failure when running filtered veg oil. That is not FAME. There was also instructions on how to modify the pump - grind a helix around the shaft. So i suspect the lubrication on DPAs may be a bit suspect but as 28 second oil id thinner that 32 you may be correct but I would still mix some oil with it, just in case.

12 hours ago, jenevers said:

Yes but is heating oil not 28 second? I know Gardners were able to run on paraffin, according to the manual.

Yes, domestic heating oil  (kero)  is 28second.  If you add 2%  (50:1)  2 stroke oil you get the same lubricity as diesel. That is what a lab technician at Esso Fawley once told me.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have read a number of reports of DPAs suffering failure when running filtered veg oil. That is not FAME. There was also instructions on how to modify the pump - grind a helix around the shaft. So i suspect the lubrication on DPAs may be a bit suspect but as 28 second oil id thinner that 32 you may be correct but I would still mix some oil with it, just in case.

I was advocating the addition of 2 stroke oil Tony, a few years ago I used to have two tanks at work one had red diesel and the other kerosene I ordered 1000 litres of each but the delivery man gave me 2000 litres of kerosene! And that's what they charged me for. Their was already diesel left in the tank so instead of returning it all I did a Google and added 2 stroke oil it ran fine in my Barrus Shire no smoke just smelt different. 

12 hours ago, dmr said:

The CAV and others might be ok, the Stanadyne will have a terminal failure if it even thinks you might be putting the wrong fuel through it ?. Unfortunately we have a Stanadyne.

The new high pressure/common rail systems are the work of the devil, rather sad that injection systems went high tech just at the same time that diesel went lo tech (bio).

.............Dave

Are you sure, I thought the original plan was to use coal dust ??

......Dave

I know Rudolph Diesel ran his engine on peanut oil,not heard of coal dust?..I expect it would work though.

51 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Yes coal dust but that was using air blast "injection" engines, not Akroyd engine, later Akroyd-Hornsby. They were the fist to use liquid fuel in an engine and were instumrntal in  developing jerk pump injection..

Well that's another story. The diesel engine was so nearly invented by an Englishman, in fact a  Yorkshireman, then those Germans came along, upped the compression ratio a bit and claimed all the glory ?.

and the indignity that his engine, the Akroyd engine is now called a semi-diesel, surely the diesel should be called a semi Akroyd?

An Akroyd really an IDI diesel running a little hot????

..............Dave

• Haha 1