all my pumps have stopped working at once

Piran

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The red torpedo fuse is 16amp The white ones are 8 amp. The red one looks blown and it's top connection looks bad .

Agreed but it may have be twisted so the fuse strip is it is masked on the photo. I certainly agree the top clip looks bent and overheated.  If that fuse is blown, and I will very rarely say this, the OP could wrap the thing in kitchen foil just to get water tonight and tomorrow morning. If the foil starts smoking turn off PDQ.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Agreed but it may have be twisted so the fuse strip is it is masked on the photo. I certainly agree the top clip looks bent and overheated.  If that fuse is blown, and I will very rarely say this, the OP could wrap the thing in kitchen foil just to get water tonight and tomorrow morning. If the foil starts smoking turn off PDQ.

I could mail him a couple of the red torpedo fuses, I have no use for them anymore.  He really needs to fit a modern blade fuse box, doesn't he.

13 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I could mail him a couple of the red torpedo fuses, I have no use for them anymore.  He really needs to fit a modern blade fuse box, doesn't he.

absolutely as I said above - before I saw the fuses. The sudden coming back to life made the euro fuses likely.

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

absolutely as I said above - before I saw the fuses. The sudden coming back to life made the euro fuses likely.

Even the little mini blade fuses are good and go up to 30 amp. Yes bloddy euro torpedo fuses, I think it was Renault-Bendix that first introduced them years ago.

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Remove the red fuse, clean the contacts and the fuse ends, and put it back in.  It might start working again.

The red fuse appears to be labelled 'TV'

The white fuse to the left of the red fuse is labelled 'pumps'.

Suggest the OP tries 'wiggling'the white fuse (marked pumps) , or removing it, scratching the copper end caps with a knife, the re-inserting it to see if it makes a contact

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Suggest the OP tries 'wiggling'the white fuse (marked pumps) , or removing it, scratching the copper end caps with a knife, the re-inserting it to see if it makes a contact

Confuseing.  I noticed that too, but thought maybe labelled wrongly. All those pumps would probably need the red 16 amp fuse. And it sounds like he has the pump, float, sump box arrangment for the bathroom sink-wash basin drain and not gravity drain.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Confuseing.  I noticed that too, but thought maybe labelled wrongly. All those pumps would probably need the red 16 amp fuse. And it sounds like he has the pump, float, sump box arrangment for the bathroom sink-wash basin drain and not gravity drain.

I'm with biz on this one.  Old boat wiring can carry all sorts of obsolete labelling and have been rewired many times.

I've certainly made lights work by changing fuses labelled radio before!

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Or if the fuse box lid was put on the other way round the TV fuse would come under a white 8 amp fuse and the red one Pumps.

I hadn't spotted that, but good call.

24 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Or if the fuse box lid was put on the other way round the TV fuse would come under a white 8 amp fuse and the red one Power pump, what say you Watson?

21 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I hadn't spotted that, but good call.

C49E5014-4B42-410E-B43C-80550F679F73.jpeg

D096071F-AF65-44BF-83D7-613A57E9AEA6.jpeg

There are three wires coming out of the 'TV' fuse (2x Blue and 1x Red) are they all TV wires ?

Trace them, where do they go to ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C49E5014-4B42-410E-B43C-80550F679F73.jpeg

D096071F-AF65-44BF-83D7-613A57E9AEA6.jpeg

There are three wires coming out of the 'TV' fuse (2x Blue and 1x Red) are they all TV wires ?

Trace them, where do they go to ?

As I said Watson, the lid was probably on the other way round.   Sherlock.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Yeah, it makes sense to me.  The heavy brown feed supplies the heavier loads, and the three independent feeds are then lights.

After all avenues of possibilities have been investigated, the improbable becomes the probable..    Sherlock.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The fuse labelled Horn appears to be connected to a yellow and green wire. I'm all for colour coding* to ease wire tracing, but use of standard earth wire colour for a positive wire is not really helpful!

*Belfast's colour coded wiring is brown-for-electricity.

Really. The Belfast is moored on the Thames near Tower bridge, I'll have to go and check it's wiring out.:)