Would you ?

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, mark99 said:

You got to imagine the ellipse "described" by a bow rolling around the bank. Then superimpose the bridge profile to get a 3d map of the danger zone. The reason why cabins stop where the bow starts to converge. Or the cratch end board is triangular.

If one insists on a very forward cabin, its normally low and comes with significant tumblehome. Ref historic butties etc. At this point on that mickey mouse facebook site I would be banned for criticising the fabricator (who is trying to drum up more business and could not defend his design when asked lots of times) in an "unfriendly" manner. ;)

It may have been the boat owners design/spec and the fabricator simply made to order.  He may not wish to say that. -  Concerned the customer would get abuse and demands of an explanation from a few posters.

On 04/10/2020 at 22:28, roland elsdon said:

Some get built from new like that including fatbeams. Love the idea of gunnel just stopping.

At least it has a foward means of escape instead of the normal tut piled up blocking exit from the front doors. 
Pet hate of mine after getting someone out of a burning boat with only one exit.

I passed one this ween, probably near Wincham Wharf that has negative tumblehome at the front of the cabin.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I passed one this ween, probably near Wincham Wharf that has negative tumblehome at the front of the cabin.

I've seen a few fatboats like that. All done so the roof plate doesn't need to be tapered. Must be virtually impossible to get through arched bridges without contact.

5 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

It may have been the boat owners design/spec and the fabricator simply made to order.  He may not wish to say that. -  Concerned the customer would get abuse and demands of an explanation from a few posters.

It was. The fabricator did express that fact (he was following orders). Ok fine but went on to deny it could be an issue. When others provided evidence and invited discussion he got then banned. I have no real issue with the fabricator apart from him not understanding the  limitations of his dimensions and closing down any other opinion and failing to address genuine concerns whilst marketing his work to mainly newbies. It just consolidated my opinion of that whole site. It's useless for anything other than those who like to post "happy things"  and some new boaters may be taken in by the selected "advertising" left by  ignorant modding by people who will not stand up and defend their position. Smiley happy people. More fool me for thinking Facebook is a decent tool!

Edited by mark99

On 06/10/2020 at 19:16, David Mack said:

I've seen a few fatboats like that. All done so the roof plate doesn't need to be tapered. Must be virtually impossible to get through arched bridges without contact.

I've often wondered about that , it looks like they haven't finished it or couldn't be bothered to ( I worked in welding and fabrication )  and the effort required to taper the roof sheet and pull the cabin sides in to follow the gunwale is a couple of hours work .  

1 hour ago, CompairHolman said:

I've often wondered about that , it looks like they haven't finished it or couldn't be bothered to ( I worked in welding and fabrication )  and the effort required to taper the roof sheet and pull the cabin sides in to follow the gunwale is a couple of hours work .  

Judging from the rust streaks starting to form on the hull from under the rubbing streaked on a brand new collingwood widebeam moored near me it seems as little effort as possible is put into the fabrication...I’m not sure they are even tack welded on the bottom seam. 

46 minutes ago, frangar said:

Judging from the rust streaks starting to form on the hull from under the rubbing streaked on a brand new collingwood widebeam moored near me it seems as little effort as possible is put into the fabrication...I’m not sure they are even tack welded on the bottom seam. 

On the low end shells they are now doing without any cabin framing and relying on spray foam to stop it wobbling like a big jelly.  I saw a widebeam the other day where the roof sheets were only welded on the inside and the outside was just left butted up.