Slapton Offside moorings - New Signage - Private

sirweste

Featured Posts

Hot off the press this one. Two blokes and a digger have just put up this sign outside me front deck.

I'm not sure if somethings changed since I last raised this topic, but I do note that it appears to have been erected at about the boundary of where the 'gardens' of the previous perm moorings used to be - i.e. it seems like it's been put up at the edge of the farmers land - which is a good 8' from the bank I believe.

If the farmer doesn't own up to the bank, then I wonder if you'll get into bother with CRT should you take a long term rental; as you'd effectively be moored to CRT land and thus overstaying.

image.png.8c19de9fd86f5d6562126add039a6453.png

First time I've been here since last year, oddly enough to the same month by chance. I won't be staying anyway as the mobile reception isn't good enough for the new world of working from home

Previous topic:

Edited by sirweste

1 minute ago, sirweste said:

If the farmer doesn't own up to the bank, then I wonder if you'll get into bother with CRT should you take a long term rental; as you'd effectively be moored to CRT land and thus overstaying.

Assuming you would be moored on & over C&RTs land (the canal)

Yes - you (or the moorings provider) would need C&RTs permission and to pay them for the benefit of mooring in 'their water' and over their land (canal bed)

Just had confirmation from CRT that "this is an official business venture". So seems like the offside mooring is no longer publicly owned, or somehow the bank owned by CRT is being used as a private mooring by the local farmer.

Also seems very odd that the renters of the CRT long term moorings were forced off the plot, but then CRT will allow the same piece of land to be used for private long term moorings...

May be of some interest to some, such as @Tanglewood

16 minutes ago, sirweste said:

somehow the bank owned by CRT is being used as a private mooring by the local farmer.

Cart will have leased the bank to the farmer. you pay him, He pays them, 

Edited by Loddon

38 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Just had confirmation from CRT that "this is an official business venture". So seems like the offside mooring is no longer publicly owned, or somehow the bank owned by CRT is being used as a private mooring by the local farmer.

Also seems very odd that the renters of the CRT long term moorings were forced off the plot, but then CRT will allow the same piece of land to be used for private long term moorings...

May be of some interest to some, such as @Tanglewood

There are plenty of similar examples on both offside and towpath side. In a sense, Winter Moorings are a specific example, but most involve commercial businesses.

1 hour ago, sirweste said:

Also seems very odd that the renters of the CRT long term moorings were forced off the plot, but then CRT will allow the same piece of land to be used for private long term moorings..

As Loddon says, CRT have done a deal with the farmer, and they got rid of the existing moorers to enable it to happen. This way CRT get a regular income, and the farmer has to worry about collecting the money from the individual moorers, dealing with non-payers etc.

No different from lots of other offside moorings.

51 minutes ago, David Mack said:

As Loddon says, CRT have done a deal with the farmer, and they got rid of the existing moorers to enable it to happen. This way CRT get a regular income, and the farmer has to worry about collecting the money from the individual moorers, dealing with non-payers etc.

No different from lots of other offside moorings.

Yes,  this is sadly the  case.  CRT decided that the cost of regaining the title to the land, which they had lost during the period when the farm changed hands, during the chaos period of the change from BW to CRT, was not worth it.  Having decided they were going to close the mooring, and therefore losing £8,000 pa, they chose to relinquish any claim to the strip of land.  What is not clear is whether they will eventually allow the land-owner to acquire the car-park too.  As I understand it had been 'leased' to Luton Angling Club.  This could have an impact on the couple of spaces at the bottom of the track, which has traditionally been available for casual moorers.  This landowner, who owns 300 acres surrounding the village has tried 3 times to get permission for a  huge marina in the field at Slapton Lock.  This has been refused twice at appeal.  This may be the first attempt to revive that plan.

He also owns a huge Equestrian Centre at the far end of the Village, and the Pub the Carpenters Arms which he closed  in January 2019.  It was felt by the local community, that after owning the land for 15 years, disputing the ownership of the Canal bank, and closing the Pub was his response to the opposition for the Marina.  The village only has 600 residents yet they managed to find 100 people who would register opposition to his most recent planning application, for listed building permission to change the pub into a home.  Although this was granted, permission to divide the plot and thereby attempt development on the car-park was refused.  He is definitely not a farmer, more a bit of a wheeler dealer, opening and closing businesses frequently. He has run a number of night clubs, although most of these  (Soho, Brixton, Milton Keynes)  have been dissolved.  His wedding venue in Dulwich has been sold, and his main source of income now seems to be nightclubs in Southend, although he does appear to have a portfolio of rental properties too. 

Of course, if the contracts for mooring are sound, then the site remains a lovely spot, and the long-term mooring did enhance the setting.  The sign seems to be offering private gardens, so could really be good.  Perhaps he would offer vehicle access from the gate on Horton Road, in which was they would be much more convenient than having to cross the lock for access.  There is of course no electricity and water is over the other side.  There was, however, a telephone point when Lady Melinda moored there 20 years ago. 

Sad to see the baddies win aye. Cheers for the insight.

Interesting about the telephone line! I recognised the wire but never figured there was an actual phone line on that square wooden post.

I agree it is a lovely spot, sunsets are fab there. I looked at a CRT mooring, but the cost was too high for me to stomach. Was planning to stay 2 weeks there, but heading back to the boat tomorrow to up sticks in light of CRTs confirmation of the news!

The lack of electricity doesn't seem an issue to me really as the spot has good solar, which is an option thesedays. The water is a bit more of a faff, though one of the boats there used to run their hose across the canal when they needed to fill up!