Old boat vs New Boat.

Microsoft

Featured Posts

I am curious to know people opinions of old boats vs new boats.

If one was looking for a modest boat, with a modest budget of 20k does it make sense to chose the boat built after the millenium vs the boat built in the late 70's. I know this is one of those how long is a piece of string comments, and I know its all about maintanence with old boats. However I (maybe incorrectly) feel very distrustful of the older boats at the lower end of the market but am I wrong? Is it possible to find a 20k boat built in the 70's that will hold its value within the next 5 years, not fall apart and not require an extensive overhall, have you seen any recently?

Or would you say the safe bet is the more modern post 2000 boat that looks to be in good nick?

Any replies are readily appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Microsoft said:

I am curious to know people opinions of old boats vs new boats.

If one was looking for a modest boat, with a modest budget of 20k does it make sense to chose the boat built after the millenium vs the boat built in the late 70's. I know this is one of those how long is a piece of string comments, and I know its all about maintanence with old boats. However I (maybe incorrectly) feel very distrustful of the older boats at the lower end of the market but am I wrong? Is it possible to find a 20k boat built in the 70's that will hold its value within the next 5 years, not fall apart and not require an extensive overhall, have you seen any recently?

Or would you say the safe bet is the more modern post 2000 boat that looks to be in good nick?

Any replies are readily appreciated.

I think you have answered your own question. Its about maintenance. Much like anything that needs looking after. Boat, car, house etc etc.

I would always go for an older boat with lots of evidence that its been looked after (receipts etc) over a newer boat with little supporting evidence its been cared for.

Coupled with my own hull survey and a viewing accompanied by a knowledgeable 'critical friend' of course.

A newer boat with a price tag in that region may well be poorly maintained otherwise it would most likely have a higher price tag so I would probably look towards the older will maintained boat but understand that it might need overplating if it hasn't already so get an idea of any works from a good surveyor.

You could find a relatively new boat that someone has purchased as a sail away but they have not fitted out and now they just want rid of it.

24 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

You could find a relatively new boat that someone has purchased as a sail away but they have not fitted out and now they just want rid of it.

I haven’t looked recently but there used to be loads of those around - are there still?

2 minutes ago, dor said:

Look for "project boats".  You won't get much in the way of post 2000 boats with a budget of £20k unless they are real wrecks.

There’s a 2003 that sunk and has been refreshed outside on eBay right now. They say she’s ready for a survey, sat on the hard and has a good hull... who knows?

Like buying a used car,I would go for a newer one.

Less time for it to corrode.

BUT there are well maintained older boats around that are worth considering.

Main problem is corrosion and thinning of the hull.It can of course be overplated,opinions vary as to the effectiveness of this,but I personally wouldn't buy a boat that had been overplated.

After about 20 years , (that's just a slightly random number), it just depends on the condition, the design, by that I mean is it a boat by a builder who knew about boats rather than a run of the mill ordinary boat, and the upkeep of the thing etc.  There is no real formula for pricing boats like there is with cars, once they drop out of the 'recent' category the value is just a best guess. Steel plate is just steel plate after a few years whether it was caressed and handled with love and respect or just walloped into shape with a big hammer it will start to corrode (I exaggerate but only slightly)  Good old boats tend to be kept painted above and below the water, bad old boats and newer boats on the way to becoming run down heaps tend to be poorly maintained.