Erewash canal

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

Depends when you were last here mrsmelly. The lock gear is broken or extremely stiff. The gates themselves are large but move relatively easily, even by themselves when you don't want them to. Anyway top to bottom with only one lock against us so not as tiring today.

Just now, Cheshire cat said:

Depends when you were last here mrsmelly. The lock gear is broken or extremely stiff. The gates themselves are large but move relatively easily, even by themselves when you don't want them to. Anyway top to bottom with only one lock against us so not as tiring today.

During lockdown CRT were out greasing paddles, they have always been heavy, but they have been trying to keep on top.......of those that are working........

Yes, on the whole it was a positive experience. Met a few kids on the lock and in the canal at copmanhay but no problem. Lots of Waterlillys and thousands of fish visible in the clear water. Not always easy to get in to the bank but not a problem because we only met four moving boats

I had planned to be moored above Trent lock ready to tackle the Erewash tomorrow. Unfortunately I’m at Sreethay Wharf with a broken boat. To compound matters we have a car parked at Langley Mill.

I’m just wondering if I can get away with doing some weekend trips to make it up there once the boat is sorted.

JP

21 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Probably the best single word description is strenuous.

I single handed it in a full length ex working boat in 2018. I wouldn't have said it was any more strenuous than single handing other GU wide locks. Although as has been said, you do need to watch your cabin top and chimneys against the low offside of some of the arched bridges.

30 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I had planned to be moored above Trent lock ready to tackle the Erewash tomorrow. Unfortunately I’m at Sreethay Wharf with a broken boat. To compound matters we have a car parked at Langley Mill.

I’m just wondering if I can get away with doing some weekend trips to make it up there once the boat is sorted.

JP

22hours on canal plan so one weekend.

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

22hours on canal plan so one weekend.

One day and early to bed ?. Depending on when Vulpes is sorted I might look at a CRT mooring somewhere between here and Shardlow then I’ve got options. They’ll be wanting me to pay for a mooring once it’s fixed I’m sure.

JP

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

One day and early to bed ?. Depending on when Vulpes is sorted I might look at a CRT mooring somewhere between here and Shardlow then I’ve got options. They’ll be wanting me to pay for a mooring once it’s fixed I’m sure.

JP

Willington would be a good bet.

Just now, Captain Pegg said:

That was my original plan for after the BCN Challenge until you know what.

I’d really like to make it up there.

It would be lovely to see you and put a face to the name.

Thinking ahead, if you need your car and can't get here give me a shout and I can come over and pick you up. I'm back from London for the weekend if needed.

• Greenie 3

19 minutes ago, stagedamager said:

It would be lovely to see you and put a face to the name.

Thinking ahead, if you need your car and can't get here give me a shout and I can come over and pick you up. I'm back from London for the weekend if needed.

We’ll be there tomorrow afternoon. It’s really easy for Mrs P to pick me up on the way. It’s her car that’s up there and she wants it back. Plus she has the big car in our family and we need it to get stuff off the boat. Thanks for the offer nonetheless. I’m sure your time is better spent with the family.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

All being well Vulpes will be ready in three weeks time and I shall make it to Langley Mill in a long weekend. Had a tour of the yard with Dan yesterday afternoon.

JP

Good place innit?