Toilet holding tank

Featured Posts

Hi,

A year ago I bought a 45' narrow boat that had been stored and unattended at a marina for two years due to previous owners illness.

I moved the boat to a marina nearer my home about ten mile trip just as the lockdown started.

The boat has a macerator toilet with a plastic holding tank, on inspection I found the tank is just over half full (yuk).

As this has now been stood for two plus years do you think it would still be liquid enough to pump out or would it have solidified. should I top the tank up with water and leave for a short while, any suggestions please.

6 minutes ago, Brummie said:

Hi,

A year ago I bought a 45' narrow boat that had been stored and unattended at a marina for two years due to previous owners illness.

I moved the boat to a marina nearer my home about ten mile trip just as the lockdown started.

The boat has a macerator toilet with a plastic holding tank, on inspection I found the tank is just over half full (yuk).

As this has now been stood for two plus years do you think it would still be liquid enough to pump out or would it have solidified. should I top the tank up with water and leave for a short while, any suggestions please.

At least some of the solids will be difficult to remove yes.

Probably best to add some water. Agitate by rocking the boat and pump out what you can. You may have to repeat over several pump out cycles.

A quick google brings up several possible solutions suggested for septic tanks which you could apply to your boat tank.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

23 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A dead Pheasant is a good 'activator' to keep septic tanks working well.

(Other carcases are available)

Now that's posh...

Down here we have to make do  with a dead pigeon

(or mebe a dead parrot - cue for video clip......)

Edited by OldGoat