Pram and Cratch Covers

Four Two's

Featured Posts

I am sorry if this has been asked before but we have a 42 ft Liverpool narrowboat with a cruiser stern and a smallish well deck. Due to the lockdown and missing most of the nice weather we are looking at hopefully extending the cruising season a bit longer. So to make it more comfortable I am considering getting a Pram cover and also a Cratch cover. This will offer more protection from the weather and provide us with a little more dry storage should we just wish to spend a few more days on the cut or at the Marina when the weather is poor. Now to my question. Has anyone got a rough ballpark figure of cost for the making and fitting of these items. I do not wish to bother a manufacturer if the price is going to be right out of my budget. The boat is 19 years old and I don't want to spend a small fortune if it is not worth it. I honestly have no idea of what these will cost so any advice would be appreciated and would help if I decide to go for it a so I can see if I am getting ripped off. We are moored near Audlem if anyone has recommendations of a manufacturer who would come out to us and take a look if I decide to go ahead. Thank you on advance.   

Boat 1.jpg

Boat 2.jpg

Very roughly (6 years old pricing)

£2000 for the pram cover and around £1000 for the cratch.

All depends on how you want it 'working' (openings etc) and quality of materials.

PVC for example gets very stiff in lower temperatures, 'waxed' cotton' type material is more expensive but far more user friendly.

Just a tip for the pram-hood.

Have the sides extended so they overhang the gunwale, then the water runs off down the outside of the boat. Have them ending at gunwale level and the water runs down the cover onto the gunwale , under the cover and into the boat (Ask me how I know).

One of the benefits of a pram-cover is that the cruiser stern, and hence engine hole) can stay dry.

Waxed cotton / canvas type material.

Before the 'extensions' were added to the cover.

Canopy.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

I didn't want an enclosed pram cover, just something to keep the majority of the rain off, and also a bit of shielding from the sun. This is made of waxed cotton canvas, the front is on zips and clips to allow it to be removed and is fixed in such a way that the canopy can be left up by itself.

Cost was £800 and as Alan said above, you would expect the entire enclosed pram cover to be around £2000.

P1010188.jpg

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Cratchcoversandcanopies at Nantwich will come to you. Cost of all cratch covers is eye-watering.  I would expect all good makers to have long waiting lists so if you want one for this year, get your skates on.

Thank you for your response, looks like I may need to get my act together. 

41 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

I didn't want an enclosed pram cover, just something to keep the majority of the rain off, and also a bit of shielding from the sun. This is made of waxed cotton canvas, the front is on zips and clips to allow it to be removed and is fixed in such a way that the canopy can be left up by itself.

Cost was £800 and as Alan said above, you would expect the entire enclosed pram cover to be around £2000.

P1010188.jpg

It is a good idea to get a stern cover where you can remove panels so that if the weather is too sunny , you can boat with just the roof on. Got to watch for low bridges though ? .  We found it was sometimes difficult to see out of the front plastic and it would be useful to be able to roll up or remove the front panel too. 

haggis

We dont have a narrowboat but we do have a cruiser with canopies and can only echo what has been said about having removable panels. Also a good idea to have the top piece completely separate to the rest so you can leave it up in hot weather to provide some welcome shade.

If you look after a good set of canopies they will last a long time. Ours are 8 years old now and the canvas is as good as new. We give them a good clean and apply Fabsil once a year to keep them waterproof which in turn helps to keep them clean and stop mould growth. 

A good set of hoods is not cheap but it is worth spending the extra and getting a quality set made by a well respected company. We have seen some terrible examples when people have tried to save a few quid!

4 hours ago, Four Two's said:

Thank you for your responses, it looks like I have some thinking to do. I will take a look at other boats on our marina but it would seem I need to get my thinking cap on and make a decision quick if I want it done this year.