What does your Isuzu engine key look like?

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We have only one engine key, so I'm trying to get a spare incase we lose it. It's an Isuzu 35, from around 2003/4.

I bought a new Isuzu engine key from enginesplus a few weeks ago, only to find it goes in fine but doesn't turn at all. The shape is completely different to our existing one - I've attached a photo.

If you have an Isuzu, I'd be curious to know if it matches my shape or the new one which doesn't work. My key is the lower one with the split ring.

I can't find anywhere else that sells them, so if you know a seller please let me know.

I even tried Timpsons, but the guy looked through their whole catalogue of blanks and nothing really comes close to the right shape, so he wasn't sure he'd be able to make a copy. He did tell me to go to another Timpson down the road where they deal with a lot of boats, so I might try there.

Thanks for any help!

keys.jpg

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Has your boat got an Isuzu board or something else?

My Isuzu 2008 build is identical to the top key in your picture.

I hadn't thought about that!

It may not be, the logo/indicator labels are pretty worn off...

Any ideas? Photo attached of mine. It looks like (a very worn version of) this one: http://jhalfie.blogspot.com/2012/11/engine-reluctant-to-start-after-few.html

dash.jpg

Edited by GrahamSop

3 hours ago, GrahamSop said:

If you have an Isuzu, I'd be curious to know if it matches my shape or the new one which doesn't work. My key is the lower one with the split ring.

I can't find anywhere else that sells them, so if you know a seller please let me know.

I have an Isuzu probably of 2004 or 5 vintage, and have a key like the top one in your post.  I was able to get a spare by searching for "JCB key" on ebay - there seems to be more than one type there so you may find what you are after.  Both keys pictured appear to be based on the same blank but like you I was unable to find one in local shops . 

Edited by peter n

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are often 'several' keys used by boat / engine builders, I found the only way to get the right one was to send pictures to the supplier.

The switches do change over the years.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately the man at engines plus said that's the only Isuzu key he'd ever stocked, but maybe I should speak to another person.

Am I correct in thinking engines plus is the main/only isuzu 'supplier/dealer' that would know? Are there other places?

No luck so far on eBay either, it's a job to filter out all the car type keys which are obviously far more numerous.

14 minutes ago, GrahamSop said:

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately the man at engines plus said that's the only Isuzu key he'd ever stocked, but maybe I should speak to another person.

Am I correct in thinking engines plus is the main/only isuzu 'supplier/dealer' that would know? Are there other places?

No luck so far on eBay either, it's a job to filter out all the car type keys which are obviously far more numerous.

Try Engines plus 01452 729707 shown as in stock.

The picture on their website is the one I have though on looking. Its weird.

Edited by mrsmelly

If you can't match the key you could replace the entire ignition switch. Plenty on eBay. Some use the very basic Lucas key, but this one looks better.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163742200124

Note you need a 4-position switch for a diesel engine (off/run/heater/start).

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, GrahamSop said:

Try looking for a number where the metal of the key goes into the fob under the shroud, I've not described that very well but hopefully you understand.

My engine is a beta 38 of similar vintage to your engine and the key is stamped - 14607 which brings up this - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14607-Key-fits-JCB-Lancer-Boss-Jungheinrich-Bomag-Terex-Volvo/123989373150?hash=item1cde57b0de:g:N-4AAOSwHZhbPb6e

you can just about see the number in the photo and it looks just like the top key in your pic. If you can find your key number then you will have half a chance of finding the right one.

18 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Try looking for a number where the metal of the key goes into the fob under the shroud, I've not described that very well but hopefully you understand.

My engine is a beta 38 of similar vintage to your engine and the key is stamped - 14607 which brings up this - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14607-Key-fits-JCB-Lancer-Boss-Jungheinrich-Bomag-Terex-Volvo/123989373150?hash=item1cde57b0de:g:N-4AAOSwHZhbPb6e

you can just about see the number in the photo and it looks just like the top key in your pic. If you can find your key number then you will have half a chance of finding the right one.

Good idea, I do have a code on my working key. It is '54'. Haha, doesn't help narrow the search very much but I'll keep trying!

I have now got a blank on order from Timpsons, which they think will fit, so we will see and I'll update here.

I also got in touch with these people: http://www.keytrader.co.uk/key-identification.html but they couldn't identify my key.

So fingers crossed for Timpsons.

If it doesn't fit, then a new ignition switch is the plan B.

I wonder where Engines Plus get their keys from? If only they sold blanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a spare key cut at Timpson's.

It isn't perfect, as I have to feel around a bit to get it in just the right place before it turns in the barrel, but it will be fine for a spare.

For anyone who is in the same situation, the blank they cut is a ERREBI MRT 1R.

• 2 weeks later...