Getting the internet on board.........

Movin' on

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, GRLMK38 said:

The location information will tell you whether it is UK despatch or not.

Sadly that’s not always true. I’ve bought from London suppliers and had one of those grey packets with Chinese writing all over it arrive. 

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

The curly one has the correct plug at either end.

The comment from @WotEver above about regulation is factually correct and if you go this route you will need a 5.5 x 2.1 plug which is wired as "centre positive" and a suitable fuse to protect the converter.  Alternatively, if you take @Richard10002 's experience then this would be an alternative to the cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/power-adaptor-cable-5-5mm-2-1mm/dp/B00NP29SNK . @WotEver 's approach has the lowest risk from damaging the router but also requires some wiring skills ?  Keep an eye on Ebay lead times, most of this stuff is despatched from Asia and can take 2-3 weeks.  The location information will tell you whether it is UK despatch or not.

^^^^^^ J- it comes down to your appetite for risk

My appetite was based upon having nothing to lose at the time :) 

20 hours ago, Halsey said:

I've asked the eBay guy when he will have the regulated lead back in stock - after all sadly it will be a while before I actually need it!

I'll post the outcome............

Cheers

He is getting more in under £20 so I'll wait.............

• Greenie 1

The thing that puts me off getting an external antenna (and internal wi-fi router) is the hassle of mounting the antenna on the roof and then feeding a cable to the router inside the boat. How are you lot mounting your antennas and routing the cable from antenna to the router? Through a dedicated hole in the roof + cable gland, through a window, or mushroom vent? I wouldn't want to start drilling holes in the roof for a cable and the other options are just untidy. I've never had a problem putting my phone in the window and using it as a wi-fi hotspot so I'll probably just stick to what I'm doing unless there's a problem.

Also as a tech luddite I'm a bit confused. Is this 3 all you can eat sim deal an additional contract that you're paying for (in addition to your phone contract). Does the 3 sim card go into the wi-fi router or are you still using your phone for this? I only want to pay for one mobile contract which is why tethering suits me.

Edited by blackrose

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The thing that puts me off getting an external antenna (and internal wi-fi router) is the hassle of mounting the antenna on the roof and then feeding a cable to the router inside the boat. How are you lot mounting your antennas and routing the cable from antenna to the router? Through a dedicated hole in the roof + cable gland, through a window, or mushroom vent? I wouldn't want to start drilling holes in the roof for a cable and the other options are just untidy. I've never had a problem putting my phone in the window and tethering so I'll probably just stick to what I'm doing unless there's a problem.

Also as a tech luddite I'm a bit confused. Is this 3 all you can eat sim deal an additional contract that you're paying for (in addition to your phone contract). Does the 3 sim card go into the wi-fi router or are you still using your phone for this? I only want to pay for one mobile contract which is why tethering suits me.

The SIM will be on an additional contract to your phone. You sometimes get a (smallish) discount if you already have a plan with a company. Some antennas have a magnetic base mount. Ideal for a steel boat.

The wire can be routed through a hopper window if you have them or other types if the seals will allow a smallish wire to pass. Not the neatest looking solution but better than drilling the shell IMHO.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

The thing that puts me off getting an external antenna (and internal wi-fi router) is the hassle of mounting the antenna on the roof and then feeding a cable to the router inside the boat. How are you lot mounting your antennas and routing the cable from antenna to the router? Through a dedicated hole in the roof + cable gland, through a window, or mushroom vent? I wouldn't want to start drilling holes in the roof for a cable and the other options are just untidy. I've never had a problem putting my phone in the window and using it as a wi-fi hotspot so I'll probably just stick to what I'm doing unless there's a problem.

We have one of these widgets (but didn't pay those prices) on the yacht connected to a external antenna that has lick and press suction cups to attach to the inside of a window.   Picked up a signal some 10 miles West of Portland in the middle of Lyme bay, which I thought was good.  40mbps download speed in most towns along the south coast.  You might have a problem in a metal box, but the yacht isn't exactly paper thin either.  Has its own sim card in the widget which you can top up on line or even cheaper just buy a new sim with some data and ditch the old one.  We tend to buy 6Gb for £16 which will last 90 days, but lots of other deals.  EE doing 100gb for £23 last week on a rolling contract.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-AirCard-Unlocked-Portable-Download/dp/B07SHG6MDJ/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=mifi&qid=1587817355&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-6000450-Antenna-Aircard-Hotspots/dp/B00DN3J03O/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=mifi+antenna&qid=1587817538&sr=8-7

Edited by Pete7

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Through the pigeon box above the engine and yes a data sim is extra cost - tethering has always suited us but with the advent of sky go and amazon prime (its effectively free on the boat as we have it at home for the winter months) its not fast/reliable enough.

14 hours ago, blackrose said:

My Mobile Broadband aerial takes the same route as my TV aerial, and goes through a hole in the vertical wall of the cratch. The aerial is attached to the same pole as the TV aerial.

Having said that, if you aren't prepared for a second sim card and contract, you will be better sticking with tethering as you suggest.

On 25/04/2020 at 09:59, blackrose said:

The sim card goes into the router, I connect the desktop using a cable  amd plug a standard landline phone into the router. If your making a call a mobile gets hot after a while. A standard handset is more comfortable use. But then I'm working from the boat unless I have to go in to the office. As the office is in the back cabin the antenna runs through the electric cupboard and up through the spare roof cable gland.

On 26/04/2020 at 22:47, nbfiresprite said:

The sim card goes into the router, I connect the desktop using a cable  amd plug a standard landline phone into the router. If your making a call a mobile gets hot after a while. A standard handset is more comfortable use. But then I'm working from the boat unless I have to go in to the office. As the office is in the back cabin the antenna runs through the electric cupboard and up through the spare roof cable gland.

I see. I work from home too but tethering from my mobile in the window works fine. It's on all day but doesn't get hot unless the sun's shining on that side of the boat, in which case I just put it in a window on the other side. 

Edited by blackrose

On 20/04/2020 at 14:13, GRLMK38 said:

J - How's tricks?

If it's more tech you're after then I am using a Huawei B525 Router and EAD LMO7270 4G external antenna (recommended by a forum member) with a 3 SIM card (all you can eat @ £11/month for 6 months, £22 thereafter).  We only get 5Mb download speeds but we are in a location often renowned for no coverage at all.  It's fast enough for web access, Netflix etc.  Without it we would have limited public WiFi at 0.5Mb on a quiet day.

This will give you consistent WiFi, the rest comes down to the devices and apps.

I also read good reports about the TP-Link equivalent and the Teltonika 240.

We have something very similar - grabbed it from wifionboard ( https://www.wifionboard.co.uk/product/b525-4g-router-high-gain-canalboat-mag-mount-antenna-package/ ) with some tweaks.

Huawei is great for making decent kit, the Mag Antennae we use as and when we actually need it (depends on your location) and THREE do a crazy cheap deal for unlimited data. I can actively play online games while the other half streams Netflix on HD and it all works without issue.

EE have something similar if you wanted an alternative service provider. 

Also cheaper than what most people pay for broadband in their home!

15 minutes ago, Unicorn Stampede said:

We have something very similar - grabbed it from wifionboard ( https://www.wifionboard.co.uk/product/b525-4g-router-high-gain-canalboat-mag-mount-antenna-package/ ) with some tweaks.

It looks like that setup is £315, or £395, (not sure if they are plus VAT).

For anybody here who doesn't have that kind of money, and can sort out a 12V supply to the router, or an inverter supply, - I think Three supply a similar router with their Homefi offering, and the xpol aerial that many use is about £80 from Solwise. Thus, a similar setup can be had for the cost of the aerial, (£80), plus the monthly charge by Three.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

It looks like that setup is £315, or £395, (not sure if they are plus VAT).

For anybody here who doesn't have that kind of money, and can sort out a 12V supply to the router, or an inverter supply, - I think Three supply a similar router with their Homefi offering, and the xpol aerial that many use is about £80 from Solwise. Thus, a similar setup can be had for the cost of the aerial, (£80), plus the monthly charge by Three.

Aye it was around £300 

Honestly we only use the Mag Atten in certain spots and it's really not required depending on where you moor/cruise.  I work from the boat so I needed the extra security of being able to get internet 'on demand'.

The router does a grand job however - we obviously use a 240v set up rather than faffing with 12v but that router CAN be used through 12V with the right connector.  We had the choice to add it for free but we didn't need it.   You're right however, Three sell a very similar Huawei router which I imagine works just as well.

The unlimited data is the most important thing out of all this! 

2 hours ago, Unicorn Stampede said:

The unlimited data is the most important thing out of all this! 

£22 per month, unlimited data, B535 router. No upfront charge.

http://www.three.co.uk/discover/devices/huawei/B535?memory=0&colour=White&gclid=CjwKCAjwqJ_1BRBZEiwAv73uwFHT4-xfoBvzJe6Fr2ahyOGTH6SPbDyRI6Dswy5xp0PotCVjUvgo_BoC7_kQAvD_BwE&aidset=1

Aerial:

https://www.solwise.co.uk/4g-antenna-omni-xpol-a0001.html

I'm pretty sure the connectors on the end of the aerial pigtails fit the router, without any adaptors, and pretty sure the router can take a DC supply from the boat, (some may prefer to regulate it).