The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, RebelMike said:

Hmm, that's unfortunate - I note in Bradshaw's the air draught is listed as 5'9" rather than the current listed 5' 5".  Unfortunately I haven't yet been through the tunnel myself to see, but I guess that repairs have lowered the available headroom?

So maybe a little trip back in time might help us fit!

I think the difference lies in the arched profile

4 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

Hmm, that's unfortunate - I note in Bradshaw's the air draught is listed as 5'9" rather than the current listed 5' 5".  Unfortunately I haven't yet been through the tunnel myself to see, but I guess that repairs have lowered the available headroom?

So maybe a little trip back in time might help us fit!

I’m sure those figures still hold. The problem is that’s it’s only for an infinitely small strip down the middle. I don’t think repairs are an issue. Natural movement will have shifted the profile but it was built for day boats as much as anything else. Cabins of any sort were a luxury!

I’d have doubts about William fitting. The stem post is higher than the cabin top on my boat ??. You need a virtual gauge.

I still think to win the Challenge with that boat and a butty was an incredible feat.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

I was just about to say the same as Keeping Up, the tumblehome may be the issue.  We legged through on the challenge a couple of years ago and there are some low bits.

So the concern is the relatively straight sides of William's back cabin?  I can see that is a possible issue.

We'll take the potential issue into account when planning - maybe we can devise a small space-warping gadget to go along with the time machine, allowing us to draw the sides in for the trip...

Regardless of any Tunnel difficulties, we're very much looking forward to having a whole week of virtual cruising with the sound of the Bolinder propelling us!

11 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

So the concern is the relatively straight sides of William's back cabin?  I can see that is a possible issue.

We'll take the potential issue into account when planning - maybe we can devise a small space-warping gadget to go along with the time machine, allowing us to draw the sides in for the trip...

Regardless of any Tunnel difficulties, we're very much looking forward to having a whole week of virtual cruising with the sound of the Bolinder propelling us!

It may fit if you dismantle the cratch to allow the front to come up as high as possible thereby lowering the back corners of the cabin because they are the bits that will get stuck. It’s a balancing act.

There’s a much simpler answer though. William has a huge hold. Get 25 tonnes of coal delivered to one end and hire an excavator to remove it at the other. Then you’ll fit the overhead profile. You’ll find out how deep it is too.

Edited by Captain Pegg

8 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

It may fit if you dismantle the cratch to allow the front to come up as high as possible thereby lowering the back corners of the cabin because they are the bits that will get stuck. It’s a balancing act.

There’s a much simpler answer though. William has a huge hold. Get 25 tonnes of coal delivered to one end and hire an excavator to remove it at the other. Then you’ll fit the overhead profile. You’ll find out how deep it is too.

Ah yes - I forgot that Lizzie had already suggested the correct solution to this problem - we should fill William with barrels of ale for the party at the finish (we may even tap one or two early to sustain us through the challenge ?)

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, RebelMike said:

Ah yes - I forgot that Lizzie had already suggested the correct solution to this problem - we should fill William with barrels of ale for the party at the finish (we may even tap one or two early to sustain us through the challenge ?)

Unfortunately virtual beer has no mass.

13 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

Sorry, but didn’t you publish the idea in time so I’m claiming rights to it. If you use it on the Challenge the organisers will be forced to award The Workers extra points for helping a competitor.

And they’ll have to deduct points from john6767 for his attempt at virtual sabotage of a competitor.

JP

3 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

When you say "don't forget" I am unsure I was ever advised whoever this person was part of your team or perhaps that is the forum handle of Mrs T?

I will make sure all teams official "spokespeople" have been firmed up before the weekend

This is the forum handle of our daughter Claire who is currently in isolation because of health problems. We also have Steve Ball in our team who is not a forum member

44 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Sorry, but didn’t you publish the idea in time so I’m claiming rights to it. If you use it on the Challenge the organisers will be forced to award The Workers extra points for helping a competitor.

And they’ll have to deduct points from john6767 for his attempt at virtual sabotage of a competitor.

JP

Fair play :)

Hello!  I’m Lizzie, the other half of Rebellion’s permanent (currently very permanent) crew.  Thank you so much for organising this I’m really looking forward to going out and about for a week (even if only virtually), and have enjoyed rummaging through online repositories of old maps... and coal prices... I didn’t need to know that much about coal prices...

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, HuggableHamster said:

Hello!  I’m Lizzie, the other half of Rebellion’s permanent (currently very permanent) crew.  Thank you so much for organising this I’m really looking forward to going out and about for a week (even if only virtually), and have enjoyed rummaging through online repositories of old maps... and coal prices... I didn’t need to know that much about coal prices...

Welcome to the forum (and the madness) Lizzie :)

Have you any nutty slack?

1 hour ago, RebelMike said:

I can see you have a predicament!

William won't look pretty if you scratch the edges of the cabin top so why not dial up 1935 on your time machine and head over to Ipswich and ask William Pretty Corset makers if they can create something to crimp it in a bit?

• Happy 1

15 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Teams:

You have email!

Thank you. 

Quick clarification please: Deepfields to Bradley Workshops is now listed as 2 miles, does this cover the whole stretch past the Workshops (which are ~1.5 miles from Deepfields I believe) to the junction with Rotten Brunt?

That would mean half a mile of closed canal scoring at 3x bonus rather than 4x (which is fine if that's correct I just want to be sure I'm matching sections in the spreadsheet to canal correctly!)

5 minutes ago, RebelMike said:

Thank you. 

Quick clarification please: Deepfields to Bradley Workshops is now listed as 2 miles, does this cover the whole stretch past the Workshops (which are ~1.5 miles from Deepfields I believe) to the junction with Rotten Brunt?

That would mean half a mile of closed canal scoring at 3x bonus rather than 4x (which is fine if that's correct I just want to be sure I'm matching sections in the spreadsheet to canal correctly!)

According to CanalPlan that section is 1 mile 7 ¼ furlongs so I believe it was rounded up to the nearest mile 

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

No email here ?

It is showing as having been sent - can you check in Spam? I don't think you had replied to any email of mine so your Google account may not recognise the my email address as being kosher 

4 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

According to CanalPlan that section is 1 mile 7 ¼ furlongs so I believe it was rounded up to the nearest mile 

Apologies, you're right - I read the wrong entry.  So as the missing distance is under half a mile we're calling it negligible - i.e. Bradley Workshops is effectively at (for route planning purposes) the start of Rotten Brunt?

9 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

It is showing as having been sent - can you check in Spam? I don't think you had replied to any email of mine so your Google account may not recognise the my email address as being kosher 

I have checked the spam, nothing

If a section is shown as one item on the spreadsheet but there is a junction part-way along it, are we allowed to stop at that junction overnight and so do part of the section on one day and the rest of it the next day?

3 hours ago, RebelMike said:

Apologies, you're right - I read the wrong entry.  So as the missing distance is under half a mile we're calling it negligible - i.e. Bradley Workshops is effectively at (for route planning purposes) the start of Rotten Brunt?

Yes :) 

5 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

@Keeping Up

From post 144

Yes I know - but just to confirm that it can be part one day and part the next even if those parts are not actually contiguous, eg if you turn off at that junction the next morning, and then complete the missing bit of the first section later that second day?

Edited by Keeping Up

Just now, Keeping Up said:

Yes I know - but just to confirm that it can be part one day and part the next even if those parts are not actually contiguous, eg if you turn off at that junction the next morning, and then complete the missing bit of the first section later that second day?

Contiguous? 

Did you mean to say contagious? 

Junctions are deemed Covid-19 Safe Spaces 

Please let us know the junction you are querying by either email or PM please 

Is it the intent that the score for the Rotten Brunt line covers Bradley Locks Branch Jn to Bradley Workshops which was missing in the original scores?

It’s certainly correct in terms of distance but having just watched @Capt Ahab’s Wednesbury Oak Loop Canal Hunter video again I’m not sure it’s an absolute mapping of the the true original features.

JP