The Virtual BCN Challenge 2020

cheshire~rose

Featured Posts

Just now, CornishMeades said:

All sounds very complicated! 

Not really, I am just a master of making things sound more complicated than they need to be - and then people go round in circles asking for clarification until we all disappear up our own thesaurus 

:) you are not committed to take part if you want to have a look at the planning form and take it from there 

OK. I’ve replanned for 1.5 mph on the non-BCN sections we wish to use.

Quite a severe impact on the plan in terms of interesting branches and now pretty much no float in the core route. Stoppages may finish us off. Let’s hope they’re mixed with opportunities.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy the long essays on the non-BCN sections I’ll have to time to write as we plod along at snail’s pace.

JP

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

OK. I’ve replanned for 1.5 mph on the non-BCN sections we wish to use.

Quite a severe impact on the plan in terms of interesting branches and now pretty much no float in the core route. Stoppages may finish us off. Let’s hope they’re mixed with opportunities.

I’m sure you’ll enjoy the long essays on the non-BCN sections I’ll have to time to write as we plod along at snail’s pace.

JP

You had a word with your shop steward then? 

Just now, cheshire~rose said:

You had a word with your shop steward then? 

I didn’t say I’d strike myself. I’m the leader of The Workers after all. Just tempted the others to fall on their swords.

I’ve decided to put my faith in the organising committee’s master plan, even if they haven’t yet got one. If we go any slower you may need one if anyone’s going to make it to Bradley on time next Saturday!

Good morning Challengers

I know you are all busy this morning but I thought I would just remind folks that the deadline for formal entries is midday today (BST).

I am going to be checking through the information I have from all our current entries and may be pinging out a few emails to firm up any details that may be a bit sketchy this morning.

Have fun with your build projects

28 minutes ago, Paul Scrutton said:

Hi we still can not see how to sign up ? 

Hi Paul

As John6767 says, you will need to have posted a few more times before you are alowed access to the personal messenger system on the forum.

(note I have found you on Facebook so you might find it quicker and easier to respond there?)

Edited by cheshire~rose

18 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

• Coventry Canal from Fazeley Junction to Huddlesford Junction 

Hmmmm!!

Capt Ahab should know that the 5.5 miles from Fazeley Junction to Whittington Brook was never owned by the Coventry Canal Co. It was built by the BCN Co. and operated by them as part of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal until nationalisation. Only the short section from Whittington Brook to Huddlesford is actually part of the Coventry Canal (and even that was built by the T&M Co. and later bought by the Coventry).

23 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Hmmmm!!

Capt Ahab should know that the 5.5 miles from Fazeley Junction to Whittington Brook was never owned by the Coventry Canal Co. It was built by the BCN Co. and operated by them as part of the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal until nationalisation. Only the short section from Whittington Brook to Huddlesford is actually part of the Coventry Canal (and even that was built by the T&M Co. and later bought by the Coventry).

Captain Ahab (and a lot of other people) ourselves included)  did know that BUT for the purposes or brevity and to save an entire paragraph to describe which section we meant a little like you have done here it seemed simpler to describe it the way I did as everyone would be aware which section we were referring to. 

*****Stop Press*****

.....breaking news! The ultimate dream team has just been announced. Details are sketchy at present but it looks like team "Marnier's Stern Gland" has gone public!

It looks like this is a'super' team of

@mrsmelly

@Alan de Enfield

@peterboat

@roland elsdon

@Jennifer McM

@Dr Bob

@Laurie.Booth

with outside assistance from

@TheBiscuits

.....further news to follow.

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Captain Ahab (and a lot of other people) ourselves included)  did know that BUT for the purposes or brevity and to save an entire paragraph to describe which section we meant a little like you have done here it seemed simpler to describe it the way I did as everyone would be aware which section we were referring to. 

So surely, as part of the BCN, Fazeley to Whittington should score points?

☺️

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

*****Stop Press*****

.....breaking news! The ultimate dream team has just been announced. Details are sketchy at present but it looks like team "Marnier's Stern Gland" has gone public!

@mrsmelly

@Alan de Enfield

@peterboat

@roland elsdon

@Jennifer McM

@Dr Bob

@Laurie.Booth

@TheBiscuits

Be afraid

Be very afraid

Just now, David Mack said:

So surely, as part of the BCN, Fazeley to Whittington should score points?

☺️

So surely as we are following the premise of The Real BCN Challenge to encourage use of lesser known and used canal of the BCN it doesn't need to be allowed.

.... and don't call me surely ?

26 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

*****Stop Press*****

@mrsmelly

@Alan de Enfield

@peterboat

@roland elsdon

@Jennifer McM

@Dr Bob

@Laurie.Booth

@TheBiscuits

I hope you’ve stocked the boat up with blue rinse. And I don’t mean for the toilet.

So I have now upgraded the spreadsheet to enable us to select route segments in turn, and the direction of travel, and it then computes the score and the hours used per day.

The next upgrade is to write a macro to enable Excel  to optimise over all possible routes, but this will probably take a week to run given the rather large number of permutations to be tested.....  I don't think the time machine can solve this problem for me, as Excel visual basic did not exist in the 19th century.

Attempts at industrial espionage will be resisted.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy
  • Haha 1

Can anyone help with how to register please? We have a team together & have scrolled through hundreds of messages saying I need to enter by midday but can't for the life of me find an entry form - failing at the first hurdle!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

*****Stop Press*****

@mrsmelly

@Alan de Enfield

@peterboat

@roland elsdon

@Jennifer McM

@Dr Bob

@Laurie.Booth

@TheBiscuits

There is going to be some challenges in that team, do you go for the trophy or the wooden spoon...?