If you had your own canal

Supermalc

Featured Posts

What would you do with it?

For instance The Kyme Eau/River Slea is 'my' canal. However if I was in a position to become an active member of the Sleaford Navigation Trust, and could offer the services, I would keep it dredged, and weed free all year, and try to promote all it's assets as much as possible. Even if every boat that passed the entrance, and could navigate it, it would still remain relatively quiet.

...... if I was in a position to become an active member of the Sleaford Navigation Trust, and could offer the services, I would keep it dredged, and weed free all year,

:mellow: I know.....

.........but I'm interested to know how you would fund it.....Its easy to dream but its also easy to spend huge amounts of other peoples money..... :P

Both banks would be reserved for the exclusive use of those who choose to move in and live there on a permanent basis. Any boaters who for some very odd reason would wish to 'pass through' on route to somewhere else would have to book a passage in advance, and then there would be a strong recommendation to bow haul the boat through my canal to cause the least disruption.

In the longer term double and triple breasting up will be introduced and if as a result through boaters are then excluded, then so be it. I always take the view that anyone who feels the need to move a boat for more than a couple of yards is obviously up to no good anyway.

The passage of pedestrians on my towpath will be strictly controlled, the residents washing lines, power cables, water supply pipes strung across the path will of course take precedence and will be seen as an addition to the local scenery. Goods for re-cycling (which some ignorant people call rubbish) may be stacked (heaped) on the paved areas along with children's cycles and other utilities.

The previously grassed areas may be used for those that are permitted to pass through and as a sanitation facility for the residents dogs.

Other bye-laws will be added when I see fit.

My canal would be a haven for wildlife

Recycling facilities would be available along the route.

Natural habitats would be created/protected to encourage birds, animals, wild flowers and funghi.

A strict 1 week mooring enforcement would apply along the entire length allowing people to come and visit and enjoy but then move on.

Anyone wishing to stay longer or live aboard would be welcome to stay in the friendly local marina where the club house has an ever changing variety of guest ales at a very reasonable price and served good honest affordable food made wherever possible from local seasonal produce. The club house policy states that only really great music can be played.

The canal would be kept dredeged and weed free, the towpath would be kept maintained and a bike track would run parallel to it.

Dogs that foul the towpath and owners that fail to take the offending mess away with them will dealt with by a special court which will be held as and when necessary in the club house.

Members of the jury must be boat owners but the only payment they will receive for their services to the justice system will be 3 pints of ale per case heard. (to be consumed prior to giving a verdict) :mellow:

By the club house there would be a delightful little designer boutique where the latest in shoes, handbags, clothing and accessories from all the top design houses would be available at a fraction of the usual price.

Edited by cheshire~rose

Would there also be a special display for a certain ladies underwear. :P

:mellow: Behave Bottle! {slap}

If this keeps up I will have to open a museum for such exhibits! ........

Thinking about it on MY canal there is that disused warehouse building that I could turn into a museum.

I suspect the public would be prepared to pay a handsome admission fee to view the infamous display.

That could be an even better earner than making boaters on MY canal pay a licence fee!

Natural habitats would be created/protected to encourage birds, animals, wild flowers and funghi.

A strict 1 week mooring enforcement would apply along the entire length allowing people to come and visit and enjoy but then move on.

Anyone wishing to stay longer or live aboard would be welcome to stay in the friendly local marina where the club house has an ever changing variety of guest ales at a very reasonable price and served good honest affordable food made wherever possible from local seasonal produce. The club house policy states that only really great music can be played.

The canal would be kept dredeged and weed free, the towpath would be kept maintained and a bike track would run parallel to it.

Dogs that foul the towpath and owners that fail to take the offending mess away with them will dealt with by a special court which will be held as and when necessary in the club house.

Members of the jury must be boat owners but the only payment they will receive for their services to the justice system will be 3 pints of ale per case heard. (to be consumed prior to giving a verdict) :mellow:

By the club house there would be a delightful little designer boutique where the latest in shoes, handbags, clothing and accessories from all the top design houses would be available at a fraction of the usual price.

christ keep me away from that canal

My canal would be a haven for wildlife.

The canal would be kept dredeged and weed free.

Sorry you can only have one or the other not both

My canal would be a haven for wildlife.

The canal would be kept dredeged and weed free.

Sorry you can only have one or the other not both

I would have to disagree there.

With proper management a canal can have a good deep channel for boats to use while the banks would be alive with rushes and other fresh water fauna and marginal plants.

The dredging of the channel would ensure plenty depth, no hidden shopping trolleys etc to foul the prop (removing rubbish from the bottom would help to enurse the water was less poluted as well)

The banks being full of lush vegetation would provide a safe haven for fish and nesting birds not to mention dragonflies, butterflies and other wildlife.

I do not understand why keeping a canal dredged and free from build up of silt and rubbish prevents it being a haven for wildlife?

With proper management a canal can have a good deep channel for boats to use while the banks would be alive with rushes and other fresh water fauna and marginal plants.

The dredging of the channel would ensure plenty depth, no hidden shopping trolleys etc to foul the prop (removing rubbish from the bottom would help to enurse the water was less poluted as well)

The banks being full of lush vegetation would provide a safe haven for fish and nesting birds not to mention dragonflies, butterflies and other wildlife.

I do not understand why keeping a canal dredged and free from build up of silt and rubbish prevents it being a haven for wildlife?

that may be so in la la land

but in reality nature doesnt work like that

Edited by cugsey

My apologies ,I failed to take on board that you would be undertaking the very work yourself. Allowing BW or the EA to undertake the work would only result in rape, pillage and plunder. I have witnessed so called sympathetic dredging on my own river ( which is non navigable ) and would if costs allowed try and take a court injunction on them ever setting foot on the land again never mind with a dredger. Speaking from bitter experience so lets not go there,and yes I will give you a hand with your haven ,not ot sure though of some of the other parts.

:mellow: I know.....

.........but I'm interested to know how you would fund it.....Its easy to dream but its also easy to spend huge amounts of other peoples money..... :P

That's why I said if I was in the position to Neil e.g. if I won a quadruple lottery rollover of £100 million or some such.......it is a dream if you like. Sadly if I had the type of money that I could do that I wouldn't have time, as I've so many other things to do I wouldn't have any time for boating.

My apologies ,I failed to take on board that you would be undertaking the very work yourself.

Well I would probably have to employ a specially selected employee or two, I would hate to break a nail! :mellow:

Allowing BW or the EA to undertake the work would only result in rape, pillage and plunder. I have witnessed so called sympathetic dredging on my own river ( which is non navigable ) and would if costs allowed try and take a court injunction on them ever setting foot on the land again never mind with a dredger. Speaking from bitter experience so lets not go there,and yes I will give you a hand with your haven ,not ot sure though of some of the other parts.

Sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience. Of course maintaining the waterways is bound to cause some temporary upheaval but this is offset by the longer term benefits if it is dont correctly.

I suspect the main problem comes back to money (or lack of it!)

Both banks would be reserved for the exclusive use of those who choose to move in and live there on a permanent basis. Any boaters who for some very odd reason would wish to 'pass through' on route to somewhere else would have to book a passage in advance, and then there would be a strong recommendation to bow haul the boat through my canal to cause the least disruption.

In the longer term double and triple breasting up will be introduced and if as a result through boaters are then excluded, then so be it. I always take the view that anyone who feels the need to move a boat for more than a couple of yards is obviously up to no good anyway.

The passage of pedestrians on my towpath will be strictly controlled, the residents washing lines, power cables, water supply pipes strung across the path will of course take precedence and will be seen as an addition to the local scenery. Goods for re-cycling (which some ignorant people call rubbish) may be stacked (heaped) on the paved areas along with children's cycles and other utilities.

The previously grassed areas may be used for those that are permitted to pass through and as a sanitation facility for the residents dogs.

Other bye-laws will be added when I see fit.

I think thats a bit rich coming from a bloke that lives in Oldham...

I would disallow all mooring between 10am and 6pm except 30 minutes where the mooring is within walking distance of shops. Boating is better when the the boat is moving, usually forwards. Marinas would be the storage device for people determined to remain stationary.I would disallow all mooring between 10am and 6pm except 30 minutes where the mooring is within walking distance of shops. Boating is better when the the boat is moving, usually forwards. Marinas would be the storage device for people determined to remain stationary.I would disallow all mooring between 10am and 6pm except 30 minutes where the mooring is within walking distance of shops. Boating is better when the the boat is moving, usually forwards. Marinas would be the storage device for people determined to remain stationary.

I'd have nice wide tow paths, with a small area of land beyond it for storgae of sheds for coal, wood, tools etc.

Wildlife would be encouraged and left to prosper.

Permanant moorings would be allowed on line, but only with the condition that they moved at least once a month, and there would be a nice winding hole about 3 miles away so it encouraged them out a bit to exercise the boat.

Just lots of fields one side, with a nice protective hedgerow with lots of nesting birds, blackberries and a nice wind breaker as well. The other side (where you are moored) would be woodland nearby which led off to a nice wood, and then a nice little car park so the cars were out of view from the water.

I'd have some nice old chap employed to keep the weeds down and keep people's little areas if they were out all the time, and give him a wee boaty to live on as a 'perk' for the job.

Responsible dog owners only, no all night parties, but specially organised get together's so we all knew when the disruption would be and everyone would get together and drink beer, have b-b-q's and enjoy some company and music.

Something like that anyway.

Thats not a bad idea, canals took the best transport routes years ago there's quite a strong argument for filling and converting them to runwayroads to provide local takeoff areas for combined road/air transport which is the future of transport and far more important than a few boaters.Thats not a bad idea, canals took the best transport routes years ago there's quite a strong argument for filling and converting them to runwayroads to provide local takeoff areas for combined road/air transport which is the future of transport and far more important than a few boaters.

If we won the euro lottery we would buy a huge chunk of countryside - with a marina in the middle and a canal system round the outside with interesting ways if getting in and out and around. Then everyone in our Marina could come a live rent free and we would stay or cruise. We would have the best pub/clubhouse in the world. We would have supplies of what ever from beer to biscuits helicoptered in when ever....and a lauderette on site with dryers and folding machines or washing lines...

bliss :mellow: