Define Continuous Cruising

Dominic M

Featured Posts

I don't have an agendum really but without any 'teeth' the act was pointless and every deep enough towpath mooring is going to become a long term mooring before long whether BW like it or not. Another daft question - does a cc licensed boat need an engine and is there a width limit?

II cannot see how the legislation prevents such boating from being described as "continuous cruising".

Dominic, the form of words from BW has already been posted ......... 'Continuous journeys' and all that. How long has this got to go on.

Right may well be on your side and certainly I feel sickened to be standing alongside BW.

Why don't a group of you either test it in law or shut up !

Edited by John Orentas

Having asked the same question myself on here I had a very close look at the relevant Act and got some competent legal advice on the subject.

The extract in question is worded thus:

“the Board may refuse a relevant consent in respect of any vessel unless—

c) either—

(i) the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere; or

(ii) the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.

The key phrase according to my legal advice was

the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board

The guidance notes clearly state what will and will not satisfy the board (the legal requirement) and I think it would take a very brave (and also rich) person to legally challenge how valid or reasonable the guidance is.

Of course what I have been told is only one legal view. As with all law there may be other views but although I have reasonably deep pockets, they ain't that deep and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't want to challenge the guidance successfully.

Laws can be changed and probably would be to the detriment of all genuine cruisers

I don't have an agendum really but without any 'teeth' the act was pointless and every deep enough towpath mooring is going to become a long term mooring before long whether BW like it or not. Another daft question - does a cc licensed boat need an engine and is there a width limit?

Another misconception. There is only no such thing as a continuous cruising licence. BW only issue a pleasure boat licence. The continuous cruising applies to mooring or lack of one.

Sue

someone on a boat that moves short distances but stays in the same general area ,will moan at all passing boats , run his engine with propellor engaged and think whatever location he has moored at is for his use only.

anyone who moors to close to him will be asked "are you staying there" and if the answer is yes i intend to spend a couple of days or whatever here then he will stomp around poe faced while he is pulling his pins out to move somewhere else ,probably as close as possible to a swing bridge or some other place where he will impede the progress of any one sailing single handed.

comments will be made about others lack of sense and he will never ever come to believe that he may be the one doing something slighty wrong.

when he moans loudly as you pass he will go deaf when you shout out the price of local moorings in reply.

Edited by gaggle

One cruising license. Two types, one where you say where your mooring is the other where you say you will be 'cc-ing'. Not a misconception, two license types as far as i'm concerned.?

Edited by magnetman

One licence (pleasure) where you have to declare where the boat has its home mooring, if the boat does not have a home mooring then a declaration that the boat continuously cruises.

One licence, two different declarations.

:P:mellow:

One licence (pleasure) where you have to declare where the boat has its home mooring, if the boat does not have a home mooring then a declaration that the boat continuously cruises.

yeah that what we need more and more and more regulations

lets keep the pencil pushers in a job

great idea boys

What is your agendum then Dominic ?

This subject is a hot potato like bow thrusters and galvanic isolators.

You seem to have brought the subject up again for further debate.

What is your stance on continuous cruising ?

One of ambivalence I suppose.

But I am open to persuasive argument, and there are a number of contributors to this site who have sharp minds and sharp wits. Those who express boredom with this topic don't have to read or respond to it - its title is pretty unequivocal. Rather like today's papers - there's some articles of interest but anything containing the words "Northern Rock" I instantly skip over as I have had more than enough information on that subject to last me a lifetime!

Bottle is totally right, I've just read the terms and conditions again to be extra sure. One type of licence for private pleasure craft but you either have to declare a mooring or being cc.

D

constant cruising = bridge hopper? nah, im no where near a bridge at the moment.

my own definition of CCing, is people who like to change the scene from their windows often. as often as they feel like it, sometimes sooner and sometimes later than british waterways would like.

the day im forced to pay to live in a marina is the day i sell my boat and find something different to live in/on. i like to have freedom of choice and for me, CCing is freedom.

constant cruising = bridge hopper? nah, im no where near a bridge at the moment.

my own definition of CCing, is people who like to change the scene from their windows often. as often as they feel like it, sometimes sooner and sometimes later than british waterways would like.

the day im forced to pay to live in a marina is the day i sell my boat and find something different to live in/on. i like to have freedom of choice and for me, CCing is freedom.

I have a great deal of sympathy for that view. I live on my boat - I'm fortunate enough to have a mooring in a small basin and get to cruise off from time to time. I would be thoroughly depressed to be resident in a large marina.

agree 100%

I have a great deal of sympathy for that view. I live on my boat - I'm fortunate enough to have a mooring in a small basin and get to cruise off from time to time. I would be thoroughly depressed to be resident in a large marina.

I am thoroughly depressed being in a large marina, hence the search is on!

I am thoroughly depressed being in a large marina, hence the search is on!

As I've said before in a previous thread, living in a marina is akin to living in hell

I'd get into a state being stuck in a marina, I'd feel ghettoised

AndI'm sure there are others who'd feel the same