Tonic required. Send in your photos of what is nice on the waterways now.

DandV

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

(#5025) On this day in 2008

spacer.png

Lock 4 Aylesbury Arm GU

That tree lockside had almost doubled in height before we first saw it in 2014.

But what fascinated me was was the adjacent NZ kowhai, that while it had abundant yellow flowers in spring as we departed Aylesbury, there were no seed pods on our return in Autumn. I put this down to no local pollinating birds, our tuis, bellbirds, and silver eyes, but it may just have been the cottage residents had plucked the seed pods off.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

What a delightful house - until there's a flood. It appears very low-lying.

"Please leave the lock empty to avoid flooding the adjacent cottage" or words to that effect" CART notice lockside

Peter Scott has a photo of the actual notice in an earlier post.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, DandV said:

That tree lockside had almost doubled in height before we first saw it in 2014.

But what fascinated me was was the adjacent NZ kowhai, that while it had abundant yellow flowers in spring as we departed Aylesbury, there were no seed pods on our return in Autumn. I put this down to no local pollinating birds, our tuis, bellbirds, and silver eyes, but it may just have been the cottage residents had plucked the seed pods off.

spacer.png

From t'other direction in April 2019. Here are some more from the database over the last dozen years. The (i) link has the dates. Sadly my experience of a NZ kowhai plant is wholly lacking ?

6 hours ago, Athy said:

What a delightful house - until there's a flood. It appears very low-lying.

spacer.pngYes the overflows along the branch are often insufficient for the water that flows along it

On this day in 2012

spacer.png

spacer.pngBingley 5-rise on a BW Open Day

Compare

#4504 (1971)

#4780 (1974)

#743 #823 (2004)

#1908 (2007)

#4502 (2008)

#4505 (also this day 2012)

and a 1908 illustration from

Inland Cruising on the Rivers and Canals of England and Wales

by George Westall

P1280886s-Bingley5rise.jpg.27e03460c01fd07bee1414206a035c52.jpg

Edited by PeterScott
link
  • Greenie 1

My favourite lock flight. I love the way it slices through proper middle England. The fact that there's a decent pub at the bottom of it helps too.

I've passed the Engine Arm dozens of times but never ventured down it. Is there any trace of an "engine" at its end?

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I've passed the Engine Arm dozens of times but never ventured down it. Is there any trace of an "engine" at its end?

spacer.pngThe moorings and in-water canal go about halfway to where the enginehouse once was. A local history website confirms my memory: "This half mile feeder arm was navigable until 1948. The canal was constructed ... under the power of the 1786 Act ... to use any water found within a thousand yards of the canal. A pumping engine was placed at the end and water discharged into the summit pound (sic). Following the construction of a reservoir at Boddington in 1811 the pump ceased to be used regularly. The building [at the end] is now clad in corrugated iron. ... difficult to tell if this was the original building."

The 25-inch map from about 1900 shows the Engine House: the line to the south-east is a feeder, still sketched-out in the aerial view

Napton.jpg.8e9861d2184d9e5ddf99efb3d347ba04.jpg

• Greenie 1

On this day in 2016

spacer.png

spacer.pngRochdale Canal

Broadbottom Bridge No 13

The day was designed around having a boat in the correct position for filming a One Show report by Andy Kershaw on the progress of the response of the people and authorities in the Calder Valley to the 2005 Boxing Day flooding.

A lot of time was spent securing a good shot of Andy Kershaw's dog getting on to the boat, which it was reluctant to do while the aforesaid Andy was still on the towingpath.

And by Red Acre Bridge 12: a peninsular deposited during the flood.

spacer.png

spacer.png