Boats on fire and sunk in Teddington lock

Dave123

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Do they leave the gates open when the locks are not being operated, then?

I think they do.  The incoming tide would probably push the bottom gates open if lock was empty and do damage to the machinery.  I'm not sure but assume they are hydraulic.

Most of the residential and slum boats are long gone from the area above Teddington lock layby because of the Richmond byelaws making it a criminal offence to remain more than one hour on Richmond Council owned land. 

Anything moored on the lock approach (EA owned moorings) above the locks would end up on the weir if it came adrift unless it was close to the top of the locks by the footbridge. 

23 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Most of the residential and slum boats are long gone from the area above Teddington lock layby because of the Richmond byelaws making it a criminal offence to remain more than one hour on Richmond Council owned land. 

Anything moored on the lock approach (EA owned moorings) above the locks would end up on the weir if it came adrift unless it was close to the top of the locks by the footbridge. 

The EA report said the boats were from downstream side of the lock.

Yes I know they were at " Teddington harbour " I was replying to the post above mine which mentioned the large number of residential boats which were at one time above the lock. 

Edited by magnetman

6 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes I know they were at " Teddington harbour " I was replying to the post above mine which mentioned the large number of residential boats which were at one time above the lock. 

Sorry, mis interpreted your post. :)

There's a lot of confusion, not helped by the initial EA report stating that the boats were upstream of the lock(s).

Locals have countered saying that the boats were initialy on the 'north' side of the river.

There's a discussion on the YBW Thames forum...

12 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

There's a lot of confusion, not helped by the initial EA report stating that the boats were upstream of the lock(s).

Locals have countered saying that the boats were initialy on the 'north' side of the river.

There's a discussion on the YBW Thames forum...

I dont know where the lifeboat sheds are https://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.co.uk/news/18263464.two-boats-sink-two-others-damaged-major-fire-teddington-lock/