Using a laptop

Jax48

Featured Posts

Hiya

:smiley_offtopic: Me again

ok so we've put our house on the market the weekend just gone. We've booked a 3 day training course with Nick Scott on his 70' narrowboat 'Willow' and we've sent off our 25% deposit on our mooring. Just need to get a buyer for the house then we can get our boat and at last realise our dream of becoming 'live aboards'.

We're going to get a laptop to use on the boat - but what should we get?? In layman's terms please - we're old and not very up to date with computer talk!!! Also I keep seeing 'Web n'walk usb modem' from T mobile - is that what we need to get and will it be all we need. What sort of time will it give me (daily) on the internet?? - I don't even know if that's a sensible question!!! Haven't really got a clue what I'm talking about. Just know I'll want to use the laptop for accessing the intrnet once we get on the boat.

Be gentle with me please!!!!!

Most marinas have as we do at Alvecote a wireless system you can subscribe to. You will probably need an external antenna as signal struggles inside steel boats. We now supply our new Narrowcraft Classic boats with this as an option to save you poking antenna throught a window.

Also I keep seeing 'Web n'walk usb modem' from T mobile - is that what we need to get

I is rarely that a product lives up to it's marketing I would say that the T Mobile USB modem is one of those exceptions. I am more than satisifed with mine.

I got mine from Carphone wharehouse but these do tie you in to an 18 month contract at £29 a month. I understand that better deals are now available, maybe other memebers of the forum can inform you on that.

The deal I have allows for 5G of data per month which is generally much more than I need even with fairly heavy use

I would certainly suggest you have a serious look at it as it is almost taylor tailor made for c.c

Hope this helps

Edited by reg

We have a basic laptop and web and walk with T Mobile. There are a few times when the reception is not great, but on the whole, it's a pretty good service, and if you get it with a phone package as well, it would probably work out cheaper than just having the web and walk on it's own.

Great for surfing, but I think an aerial is useful if you intend getting around a bit and not near a hot spot.

I also use Web and walk with tmobily on a laptop and not had any probs at all. Not even got close to my download limit yet after 3months.

Our new moorings have landline phone connection so might be considering connecting via that when at base camp, however we will be keeping the web n walk for our cruising time. Mind you, will be looking carefully at phone charges as it might just be cheaper to stick with the mobile i have and not bother with landline.

. . .

We're going to get a laptop to use on the boat - but what should we get?? In layman's terms please - we're old and not very up to date with computer talk!!! Also I keep seeing 'Web n'walk usb modem' from T mobile - is that what we need to get and will it be all we need. What sort of time will it give me (daily) on the internet?? - I don't even know if that's a sensible question!!! Haven't really got a clue what I'm talking about. Just know I'll want to use the laptop for accessing the intrnet once we get on the boat. . .

My 15.4" wide-screen Simens Amilo D was a bit of a mistake for use on a mobile boat. Whilst it seemed good as it would run for two hours on its internal battery this turned out to be because it had a good sized battery not because it was economical with power. The manufacturer says it requires 160 watts and I estimate that it is drawing 8A from my 12v batteries via a modified sine wave inverter. It would be better to run it from direct from a 12v to 19v converter but I cannot find one with this capacity. It also has an unusual four pin power plug.

If you have a mooring with mains power this will not be a problem. Otherwise, look for a 'mobile' processor (such as 'Centrino') and perhaps a smaller screen. Make sure there is a 12v converter available to plug in.

I am currently using Vodafone Mobile Connect. I have not got around to changing to their new plan but I rarely use more than 200MB per month for email and browsing but I don't download movies, music etc. Vodafone, T-Mobile and '3' all have comparable plans offering 3GB of data or more per month at similar cost. Pick the one that has best coverage in your area. NB You do not pay for connection time; you pay for data usage.

There are three speeds available. GPRS (similar to a dial up connection), 3G and mobile broadband (not as fast as land-line broadband). GPRS is adequate for normal use but network congestion seems to seriously degrade the performance at times - probably because the voice network is busy.

In a steel boat an external antenna is a good idea but the Vodafone PCMIA card (whole thing plugs into the side of the laptop and sticks out a couple of inches) has a tiny socket and I broke the plug on the pathetically short lead to the external antenna within the first few months. If you USB device (plugs in with a short lead) you can get an extension lead and stick the device out of the window.

It is difficult to be 'gentle' in this area. Age is no barrier to learning; 'old' starts at eighty!

Alan Saunders

Ditto that - check carefully the wattage of laptops before choosing one - I don't think it's just the laptops which draw a lot of power, some of the power adapters are inefficient. I look forward to when THESE become generally available - they are made for boating! (Weather sealed, built in wireless, lasts a couple of days on one charge, and can be recharged via a winder!)

A couple of people have mentioned external antennas - could anyone post some links to some more info on these? Ta!

All they mean is something similar to the early car mobile phones, they had a small external aerial usually stuck on the rear windscreen. Being in a boat tends to block the signal as does being low down on the canal the aerial improves your chances of getting a signal.

Ken

All they mean is something similar to the early car mobile phones, they had a small external aerial usually stuck on the rear windscreen. Being in a boat tends to block the signal as does being low down on the canal the aerial improves your chances of getting a signal.

Thanks Ken

Also:

Ditto that - check carefully the wattage of laptops before choosing one - I don't think it's just the laptops which draw a lot of power, some of the power adapters are inefficient.

I've been trying to google low power consumption laptops (as opposed to those that say the battery life is long), but am drawing a bit of a blank as they don't seem to put power on the specs. How do I go about finding these details to compare laptops before purchase? I have found this energy efficient laptop but it's only available in the US (how ironic)

Has anyone found an aerial that works with a Nokia 6233? Don't say ask the Boaters' Phone Company - their suggested aerial wouldn't work with it :cheers:

There should be a power consumption figure in Watts in the manual or on a label on the power adapter unit.

I guess the manuals are going to be the best way to check then if they're available online pre-purchase. What a lot of clicking! *grumble*.

If it's any use to anyone - I did just find this: computers_prod_list.xls (http://www.energystar.gov/)They've brought out an energy star rating for computers and this lists all the products. You can filter in excel for Category A, notebooks (making sure they're targeted at EU market) and that should show the lowest power consumption ones? Could someone a bit more in the know have a look-see and see if I'm along the right lines? Although it doesn't give exact figures I was thinking of using it to direct my search!

Has anyone found an aerial that works with a Nokia 6233? Don't say ask the Boaters' Phone Company - their suggested aerial wouldn't work with it :D

Bit obvious but Nokia do a device called a CR-56 its a cradle which allows the connection of an aerial. Designed to go in a car so it should work in a boat. They should be able to advise about which aerial will fit it. Check out their website.

:cheers:

Ken

:cheers:

Mutters - did you finally get a boat, then? Met you on OGFB website.

Hi Callunna!

Saw your name had popped up on here :D How's the search for the WB going? My house isn't going on the market til spring and moving south after that, so we'll see what happens then. Been MAD busy working freelance stuff to add to the boat fund. Keep seeing NBs I want but have to not look cos want to do it TODAY! If finances allowed I would definitely be "wetting my feet" :D

Narrowboat friends are not helping matters by trying to tempt me into going for it when finances are not in place but i'm doing the sensible thing by hanging on (oh god it's hard!!)

Whereabouts will you be headed when you get ur WB?

Edited by mutters

Hello again peeps

After a lot of browsing and chatting on geeky forums I've been given a link to this website: http://www.laskys.com/pcs_and_laptops/lapt...d_pdas/laptops/ which seems to be A LOT better at showing the power consumption of a laptop (if you don't see the power consumption in the summary, click down to view "full products specs"), rather than hiding behind battery life etc.

Thought it might prove useful to some so hope it helps!

Edited by mutters

Alan, have you tried Maplin?

They do 12v power packs for laptops which are adjustable in both voltage and also the plugs can be changed to fit different laptops. I agree though - before you buy a laptop it's worth checking out both the voltage it runs on and whether you can run it off 12v (if that's what you want to do).

The links regarding power are very useful - I agree check the battery life our five year old Vaio has just corked it, but it did have excellent battery life. Learn to adjust the brightness settings and you can sometimes double the amount of batttery time you get.

Finally, always back up your files regularly and try to keep a copy away from the boat. We keep an external hard drive at a relatives house and back up every time we visit.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I use Orange unlimited evening & weekends for £5 per month. I use my mobile phone which is a pda type most of the time. Like now. I can connect it to my computer but it is too much faff . My computer has a gizmo from Maplins that steps from 12v to 19v which is fine if the battery is fully charged.

Have fun. Sue

My computer has a gizmo from Maplins that steps from 12v to 19v which is fine if the battery is fully charged.

Have fun. Sue

I've just been looking at those gizmos.... so does your battery have to be tip-top charged up in order to use the laptop off the 12V?

How long do you get out of it? Am just wondering whether it's worth getting one of them or whether it might as well go through the inverter....

• 2 weeks later...