Sunday 9th Feb - the day has come for cheating?

Featured Posts

Anyone taking a narrowboat out tomorrow will be mad. Wind gusts will be up to 70mph and that is dangerous. Ok, it's your boat but think about the boats you crash into at speed when trying to keep the boat moving...and the pan of boiling water the guy cooking in the kitchen is holding.

Worst winds we will have seen in the Midlands for 10 years? 

• Greenie 2

Those that know the South Oxford. We have intentionally moored on the, now deserted, mooring overlooking the pylon, three or so miles from Fenny Compton. No trees, no insecure farm building roofs to take flight. Just us and the elements. Secure lines and hope. Hope that all will be well. Have to confess, don’t like high winds! (And with one broken hopper glass.) It’s covered, but for how long.

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Anyone taking a narrowboat out tomorrow will be mad. Wind gusts will be up to 70mph and that is dangerous. Ok, it's your boat but think about the boats you crash into at speed when trying to keep the boat moving...and the pan of boiling water the guy cooking in the kitchen is holding.

Worst winds we will have seen in the Midlands for 10 years? 

I hope it doesn't get that bad, the last one was bad enough.

If out in the dasrk, or early in the day, e.g. before dawn, it's good to keep a proper lookout ahead. Some rowers like to get out early, but mostly they carry the right lights and move as appropriate. I remember doing part of the tidal Thames (Eel Pie island down to Brentford) as crew, not steering myself but just assisting the captain, early one October ,morning, might have been 2018, and seeing various rowers out, some in eights!

Sleep is for non-boaties :-) 

We used to have lights front and back to ensure 360degree visibility of white lights. Coxing on the tideway was fun and felt, possibly because it takes place within a club, slightly less ambiguous than canal boating. 

One day I may starve self down and do it again if life gets less busy... 

26 minutes ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

We used to have lights front and back to ensure 360degree visibility of white lights.

There is a bit of a problem when you 'invent' your own lighting rules - they may well mean something else.

Two white lights could be taken as being  'a vessel over 50m at anchor'. which is why your single white 'all round' light should be high enough to be seen from all around. 

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is a bit of a problem when you 'invent' your own lighting rules - they may well mean something else.

Two white lights could be taken as being  'a vessel over 50m at anchor'. which is why your single white 'all round' light should be high enough to be seen from all around. 

Agree. 

But one at the front and one at the back is exactly what the regs you posted suggested? 

Neither were 360 by them selves.

1 minute ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Agree. 

But one at the front and one at the back is exactly what the regs you posted suggested? 

Neither were 360 by them selves.

But, you said it was tidal waters, in so the International Colregs apply.

In which case you should have your Red/Green nav lights forwards and a 135 degree white at the stern.

An all round white means 'at anchor'.

I could be miss remembering where I did that then, or could have just done it wrong... Coxed regularly on the Cam, Tideway and bits of non-tidal Thames. All of which had various different rules for different things. Plus away for races etc. But many, many, moons ago... 

I'm close to the tideway now and was horrified ppl were taking narrowboats in it so that stuck in my mind :-) 

• Happy 1