Cheap Engines

Big Steve

Featured Posts

As anyone any experience of these engines? They seem remarkably good value, or are they just expensive anchors?

http://www.budgetboat.co.uk/index.html

Steve

Looks amazing value. Bit worried about the 21/2 month wait but they want a 30% deposit off you with your order. Unless I've read it wrong.

Would be happier to pay and take one away with me.

Looks amazing value. Bit worried about the 21/2 month wait but they want a 30% deposit off you with your order. Unless I've read it wrong.

Would be happier to pay and take one away with me.

The site does say that from mid October will be available from stock.

The site has very few details about the company selling these or about the engines themself.

I note that the text on the cad dawing for the 37hp-43hp engines is all in Chinese, these can be found on the one page PDF document here http://www.budgetboat.co.uk/sitebuildercon...es/27hp32hp.pdf

Interesting but I think I will watch and wait on this one

May well be completely genuine, every company has to start somewhere and why give the existing very expensive importers / marinisers an easy time.

As long as the company checks out and I would not pay up front deposits, the only thing to watch is that the gearbox is suitably sized for inland waterway use.

May well be completely genuine, every company has to start somewhere and why give the existing very expensive importers / marinisers an easy time.

As long as the company checks out and I would not pay up front deposits, the only thing to watch is that the gearbox is suitably sized for inland waterway use.

However, in this case, the domain is registered to a company which gave its line of business as "Retail alcoholic & other beverages", and which was dissolved 12 months ago, as a non-trading company.

Would you give a deposit up front where is appears that the website was set up by such a company, and wants a hefty up front deposit?

If its possible to sell skip filling generators for £50 or a cocooned 5kw diesel generator for £500 and make a profit then £2.5k for a similarly rubbish piece of machinery looks very profitable so I'd say these are genuine but not worth having.

We should have lost all those chauvinistic ideas of 'British is best' this country no longer dominates the world of engineering or anything else, third world countries can be more than capable of manufacturing very good diesel engines and should we assume that their emission control is more lax than ours.

China for example have been producing very good industrial engines for their own use for donkeys years, just because we never see them does not mean they are in some way inferior, when I was in Turkey a few years ago I was shown a range of engines that were the most beautifully made things I have ever seen, they were bearing a name that was completely strange to me then and still is.

When I was a child, labels 'Made in Japan' or 'Made in Germany' were synonymous with rubbish quality.

............... should we assume that their emission control is more lax than ours.

you're not going to like this, John, but if the engine does (EDITED) - NOT - have a certificate to show that it conforms to RCD requirements it should not be fitted in a newbuild that may be put on the market within 5 years.

but then you knew that already. :smiley_offtopic:

Edited by chris polley

However, in this case, the domain is registered to a company which gave its line of business as "Retail alcoholic & other beverages", and which was dissolved 12 months ago, as a non-trading company.

Would you give a deposit up front where is appears that the website was set up by such a company, and wants a hefty up front deposit?

Mr. Mayalld - It's good to know that as ever you make a thorough in depth study of a post before you make your considered reply to it.

Mr. Mayalld - It's good to know that as ever you make a thorough in depth study of a post before you make your considered reply to it.

Indeed I did.

Given that the in-depth study (which took about 5 minutes) throws up some worrying information which would suggest that the would be recipient of the deposit has a poor trading history, do you think it wisest that;

a) people throw their money at this guy, after all everybody has to start in business somewhere, and anybody can cock up once.

:smiley_offtopic: go in with their eyes wide open, and reach a decision based on all available evidence as to whether this is a good deal, or an easy way to lose money.

Even if the engines are fine, I wouldn't deal with such a set up other than on a COD basis.

you're not going to like this, John, but if the engine does have a certificate to show that it conforms to RCD requirements it should not be fitted in a newbuild that may be put on the market within 5 years.

but then you knew that already. :smiley_offtopic:

Hi Chris.

Of course I already knew that, but who is to say that the engines will not comply and readily attain certification. We must also be very wary of commercial protectionism.

Anyway it is not everyone who wants to sell his boat within 5 years, and so it would not apply.

Hi all.

Leaving aside the issue of the probity of the vendors, I have to say I think caution is the order of the day, particularly if we're thinking narrowboat applications. Firstly, pushing three grand is cheap-ish, but not 'throw all caution to the wind' cheap. A little bit more and you're in with well established players. It's also worth bearing in mind that if you are going for a fully finished boat, unless you're having something special, the power unit is unlikely to account for more than 15 - 20% of the end price, and the saving against the project as a whole may just not be worth the risk. Second, one of the defining features of most privately owned narrowboats is relatively low hours use per year and power units in place for many years. I would need serious reassurance about the prospects of spares five or ten years down the line before having a bed laid specifically to accommodate an unknown power unit. With regard to quality, until someone takes the plunge, we're not going to know. We have had examples of engine components from another developing economy, where literally a few hours running produced about 20 years wear, yet a different component (sourced differently by the same supplier) has given no problems at all.

Mike.

you're not going to like this, John, but if the engine does have a certificate to show that it conforms to RCD requirements it should not be fitted in a newbuild that may be put on the market within 5 years.

but then you knew that already. :)

I'm baffled, if it DOES have a certificate it can't be put in a newbuild? So if it doesn't have any certification, you can do what you like with it? :smiley_offtopic:

I'm baffled, if it DOES have a certificate it can't be put in a newbuild? So if it doesn't have any certification, you can do what you like with it? :smiley_offtopic:

I think it is a typo by Chris put in the word 'not' between does and have :)

I E mailed Budget boats and have had a very interesting reply, appears to be a genuine company in league with a well established engine manufacturer in China. He's supplied lots of verifiable info. on his business dealings. I've asked him for permission to post a copy of the mail on here, just waiting his say so.

Engines will be in UK on 26 Sept and available to buy, unless you want a none standard gear ratio.

:cheers: Steve