Identify pipes...

Featured Posts

Pushfit Tips:

Mark the pipe off at the inserted length so that you know for certain when you have got it fully home, before you fit the pipe into to joint.  Saves lots of  "is it in??" afterwards.

Count out the inserts before you start so that when you've finished you can be certain the right number have been used!

• Greenie 1

Just now, David Mack said:

But if there's an insert left over, you might have to undo several joints to find out where it should have been!

There is no "But" about it.  If there's an insert left over, you might have to undo several joints to find out where it should have been!

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

IT is why I said chances are you won't need them. Not 100%. I didn't recommend not using them. I just said your chances of a leak without are low. In the OP's case, where he was mixing a pipe from one manufacturer with a fitting from another in a cold water feed, where of the two joints, one side is unpressurised, this is not a risky thing to do. I had never tried using speedfit ferrules on Hep2o pipe, so couldn't say if it would work or not. You have, so could.

Jen

Ok, but I'd always use ferrules in plastic push-fit pipes, no exceptions. These things cost pennies so there's really no point not using them.

1 hour ago, Bod said:

Pipe manufactures, make inserts for a reason.

Plastic pipe, now has such a weak wall, compared to copper, especially when warm, that extra support is needed, where the pipe could be under stress, due a combination of internal pressure pushing a joint apart, and external pressure of the joint trying to grip the pipe.

If the pipe manufacture, recommends inserts, then it's foolish not to fit them!

Bod

Agreed