Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mac of Cygnet

2019 Yorkshire Pub Cruise

Featured Posts

Please see the link below for the Victoria Hotel at Allerton Bywater.

https://m.facebook.com/victoria.allertonbywater/reviews/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

 

The landlord has done a great deal of work in sponsoring and improving the visitor moorings there with the addition of mooring rings, safety ladders, landscaping and keeping the place clean and tidy. The Victoria Hotel and landlord deserves a mention and a visit as they have done more there then CaRT to encourage visiting boats, it is a well kept friendly pub with good beer, food and friendly regulars, boater and dog friendly.

 

  I'm surprised you never visited it as it's right next to the moorings.

Edited by PD1964

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not surprised about The Grove. I had a very pleasant afternoon in there Saturday just gone.

Not surprised about The Grove. I had a very pleasant afternoon in there Saturday just gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Please see the link below for the Victoria Hotel at Allerton Bywater.

https://m.facebook.com/victoria.allertonbywater/reviews/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

 

The landlord has done a great deal of work in sponsoring and improving the visitor moorings there with the addition of mooring rings, safety ladders, landscaping and keeping the place clean and tidy. The Victoria Hotel and landlord deserves a mention and a visit as they have done more there then CaRT to encourage visiting boats, it is a well kept friendly pub with good beer, food and friendly regulars, boater and dog friendly.

 

  I'm surprised you never visited it as it's right next to the moorings.

 

Hi, thanks for the info.  I of course looked at all 3 pubs in Allerton Bywater on Whatpub.  I was only there for one night, and chose the Boat because it seemed the best bet and was right next to where I was moored.  I'll certainly try the Victoria next time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deviating a bit. The Jug. Chapel Haddlesey. Selby canal. 10 min walk from West Haddlesey moorings. Really nice small pub. Good home cooked food, friendly service. cask beers. Was there in September. The North Star Marina Club at Goole has been redecorated now & is still a friendly place to spend the evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Fitter kieron said:

Deviating a bit. The Jug. Chapel Haddlesey. Selby canal. 10 min walk from West Haddlesey moorings. Really nice small pub. Good home cooked food, friendly service. cask beers. Was there in September. The North Star Marina Club at Goole has been redecorated now & is still a friendly place to spend the evening.

 

Not deviating at all!  The Jug will feature in Part 2.  I didn't express myself well re the Marina Club - it had had a refurbishment when I was there.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

 

Hi, thanks for the info.  I of course looked at all 3 pubs in Allerton Bywater on Whatpub.  I was only there for one night, and chose the Boat because it seemed the best bet and was right next to where I was moored.  I'll certainly try the Victoria next time!

Well worth it and it's just good to see what they have done to improve the moorings for visiting boats, often a place just cruised past on the way to Leeds or Castleford, but worth a stop off and a good fish n chip shop to boot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

HOGSHEAD, Sowerby Bridge (several visits) 5+4+7=16 Still large and dim, but one or two corners with table lamps to read by. And no music! GBG

(2016 - 5+4+5=14 Large, dim & noisy)

BLIND PIG, Sowerby Bridge (Oct 14) 3+3+5=11 Seriously weird and slightly nightmarish, full of deranged looking people behaving oddly in a rather tatty garish nightclub atmosphere with art and millinery for sale around the walls. Only went in to thank Julie the landlady for rescuing my lost dog, but now discover it's in the GBG! Some sort of joke?

 


 

I met some boaters in Sowerby Bridge a coupe of months ago who I'd been bumping into (metaphorically speaking, not in the Steve Heywood meaning of the term) from place to place, who I was going to go for a beer with. They mentioned going to a pub that was called "something to do with a pig".

 

Being unfamiliar with Sowerby Bridge, I went for a wander and found the Blind Pig which I went into and waited for them to turn up. And waited. I thought it was a bit of an odd place to meet. It was pretty much exactly as you described - it was some kind of weird rock/metal pub but surprisingly the beer I did have wasn't bad. I only had the one and thought that was enough so left. Bumped into the couple and they said they'd been waiting in the Hogshead. I went there a few days later and thought they had a great selection of beer. It was my kind of pub.

 

Cheers for the list, @Mac of Cygnet! Good list - looks a bit like my summer/autumn adventures this year from Hebden Bridge to Leeds. If you're heading this way (Leeds), give me a shout and I'll buy you a beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I met some boaters in Sowerby Bridge a coupe of months ago who I'd been bumping into (metaphorically speaking, not in the Steve Heywood meaning of the term) from place to place, who I was going to go for a beer with. They mentioned going to a pub that was called "something to do with a pig".

 

Being unfamiliar with Sowerby Bridge, I went for a wander and found the Blind Pig which I went into and waited for them to turn up. And waited. I thought it was a bit of an odd place to meet. It was pretty much exactly as you described - it was some kind of weird rock/metal pub but surprisingly the beer I did have wasn't bad. I only had the one and thought that was enough so left. Bumped into the couple and they said they'd been waiting in the Hogshead. I went there a few days later and thought they had a great selection of beer. It was my kind of pub.

 

Cheers for the list, @Mac of Cygnet! Good list - looks a bit like my summer/autumn adventures this year from Hebden Bridge to Leeds. If you're heading this way (Leeds), give me a shout and I'll buy you a beer.

 

Ah, yes, I can see the hogshead/pig confusion.  They are the only two Sowerby Bridge  pubs in the 2020 Good Beer Guide..There's also the Blue Pig near Hebden Bridge, which I think is better than either.

  I was talking to Colin (Dr Bradley of these forums) soon after I visited the Blind Pig, and asked him if he'd ever been there.  "Yes", he said, "I was there at 3 o'clock this morning!"  So I wasn't far out with the nightclub comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once again, your selfless devotion to duty leaves me open-mouthed (surely appropriate when drinking beer is concerned). I like your intriguingly terse comments such as "Pet chickens welcome" - what the cluck does that mean?

 

Did the Hark To Mopsey score "nul points"? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

no love for the Sair Inn in Linthwaite? only a 10-15min walk up the hill from the big pound by Titanic Mills (Bridge 40 - 39 or Locks 17E - 16E) on the HNC

 

on re-reading I guess you stayed on the Broad ;)

Edited by Hudds Lad
lack of glasses & brain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Athy said:

Once again, your selfless devotion to duty leaves me open-mouthed (surely appropriate when drinking beer is concerned). I like your intriguingly terse comments such as "Pet chickens welcome" - what the cluck does that mean?

 

Did the Hark To Mopsey score "nul points"? 

 

Hi Mike.  You must have read all that more carefully than I did!  The omitted score for Hark To Mopsey was 5+3+7=15, but I can't edit that now.  Perhaps you can?

As to your chicken query:

 

 

Chicken.jpg

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

no love for the Sair Inn in Linthwaite? only a 10-15min walk up the hill from the big pound by Titanic Mills (Bridge 40 - 39 or Locks 17E - 16E) on the HNC

 

on re-reading I guess you stayed on the Broad ;)

 

I find on looking back that the last time I was in the Sair Inn was 5 years ago, when I gave it a rather brief and lukewarm review in the 2014 Pub Cruise (see OP for link).  I think it was at a low ebb at the time, as the landlord and brewer was ill (he died in 2016), and wasn't what it was on my previous visits.   There was talk of community ownership - has this happened?  I see it is in recent and 2020 Good Beer Guides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

 

I find on looking back that the last time I was in the Sair Inn was 5 years ago, when I gave it a rather brief and lukewarm review in the 2014 Pub Cruise (see OP for link).  I think it was at a low ebb at the time, as the landlord and brewer was ill (he died in 2016), and wasn't what it was on my previous visits.   There was talk of community ownership - has this happened?  I see it is in recent and 2020 Good Beer Guides.

still going strong with its own Linfit Brewery beers, far as i know its the Landlord’s son and old staff who run it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sair used to be my local when I lived in that area.The landlord was the very eccentric and lovable Ron Crabtree now no longer with us.Havn't been in for years but I remember the beer being of rather variable quality.When it was good it was very very good,but when it was bad, it was only fit for sprinkling on chips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Too noisy to tell  f there was any music" is a prize comment. That sounds like a pub which is in no danger of shutting down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loads of pubs on this list i need to check out. Nice surprise to see the 'Boot and shoe' Ellerton on the list. 'The Grey Horse' at Elvington is a good drinkers pub for anyone with a small boat if the river Derwent is navigable past the Pocklington canal at the time and the 'Breighton Ferry' again for small boats if you're a biker as well as a boater have a lot of camping events in the summer.  Sad to see how the 'Kings head' Barmby has stopped food and reduced opening hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fitter kieron said:

Loads of pubs on this list i need to check out. Nice surprise to see the 'Boot and shoe' Ellerton on the list. 'The Grey Horse' at Elvington is a good drinkers pub for anyone with a small boat if the river Derwent is navigable past the Pocklington canal at the time and the 'Breighton Ferry' again for small boats if you're a biker as well as a boater have a lot of camping events in the summer.  Sad to see how the 'Kings head' Barmby has stopped food and reduced opening hours. 

 

I would also have liked to try the Jefferson Arms at Thorganby, but was warned that the riparian owner was dead against boats and may even set me adrift!  In fact I visited the Boot and Shoe while moored at Cottingwith Lock - a pleasant walk across the fields.  As to the Breighton Ferry,  apparently the landlord there had complained to Martin the Barmby Barrage keeper because the latter had recommended boats to stop there - it seems to be bikers and caravanners only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only been to the Jefferson arms a few times after the Ferry boat inn at Thorganby closed, it seems like a nice pub. I used the rickety pontoon next to the Ferry boat and walked through the village. Not sure where all this anti boat thing comes from on the Derwent. I think it goes back to when there was a proposal to build a marina somewhere near Stamford bridge and the case went to court, personally i have never had a problem apart from the fella who owns the lock keepers cottage at Elvington. It is possible to moor fairly close to Ellerton on the river to get to the Boot and shoe if you have stakes and a plank to get off. My home mooring is at the Breighton Ferry and you would have been fine to stop there in Cygnet. The landlord worries about the weight of a narrow boat pulling the floating pontoon scaffold poles out of the bank, the river can run fast past there, If you can stop there it is a nice pub with an open fire and there is a shower / toilet block as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.