Spluttering taps

SusieC

Featured Posts

Just now, LadyG said:

It is in a very awkward place, just hoped I could resurrect existing system. There is a "pot", a sort of home made "sediment" trap between the shower outlet and the filter, then the pump, I think the pump is about level with the shower drain, is this critical?

Sounds like the pump needs priming having been drained down when you took the filter off. Try pouring water into it through the skin filling.

10 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think the pump is about level with the shower drain, is this critical?

Quite possibly with your pump. Not at all with a Whale Gulper (which also doesn’t require the sediment trap, float switch, filter or anything else that can go wrong). 

4 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Sounds like the pump needs priming having been drained down when you took the filter off. Try pouring water into it through the skin filling.

Agreed, but the skin fitting is over the water at the moment, and I am not 100% sure how to reach skin fitting, from gunwhale.

Just now, LadyG said:

Agreed, but the skin fitting is over the water at the moment, and I am not 100% sure how to reach skin fitting, from gunwhale.

Have you run lots of water down the drain? That might prime it. 

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Have you run lots of water down the drain? That might prime it. 

I have tried that, plus "plunging" but I think the sediment pot thing prevents pressure build up, I.ll see if the water hose will reach. 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Move the boat or is that too simple. Sounds like an air lock between shower and pump, depending how flexible the pipes to pump are gently shake them and the pump while the pump is running and there's water in the tray to try and move the air, if indeed an air lock, be careful to keep an eye on the water level in the tray as you don't want it to fill too much.

Is it a proper Gulper pump or normal fresh water domestic water pump? As you said it whirs. 

Edited by PD1964

4 hours ago, WotEver said:

Quite possibly with your pump. Not at all with a Whale Gulper (which also doesn’t require the sediment trap, float switch, filter or anything else that can go wrong). 

Which is why they are so reliable, as there is only a single point of failure.