Propane gas detector

Tractor

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Tractor said:

From some reading, propane gas being twice as heavy as air goes to the floor; 

Which is why this otherwise pretty decent piece of apparatus...

20 hours ago, matty40s said:

240px-Nez_d'homme.jpg

...isn't always going to do a reliable job.

Mind you, that's a recent model, aka a young bloke's nose, so isn't yet fitted with the sensational "rapidly regenerating nose hair filter" the older variants seem to have involuntarily retrofitted as standard. ;)

We have always had an LPG sensor on the boat and 20 years ago, before boat cookers had Flame Failure Sensors on the hobs, it saved us after one of our guests didn't turn the hob off properly before going to bed.

Then our dog discovered that if he farted when he woke in the mornings, his humans always came to see him; we had to move the sensor further from his bed.

For the past 15 years we have had twin-sensor system made by Haztec, which still works well but is now becoming excessively sensitive and prone to false triggering. I think soon I shall get rid of it and not bother replacing it, things are safer now with BSS checks, proper cut-outs on the cooker, etc and we haven't had a genuine alarm since that incident 20 years ago.

So if you have a gas detector and it detects gas what does it do after that, isolate all your electrics at the batteries so there is no chance of a spark to ignite that gas or sound an alarm in the middle of the night so you jump out of bed and switch the lights on?

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

So if you have a gas detector and it detects gas what does it do after that, isolate all your electrics at the batteries so there is no chance of a spark to ignite that gas or sound an alarm in the middle of the night so you jump out of bed and switch the lights on?

No, you disconnect the gas detector, obviously. 

Silly!

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

My light switches and lights are all up high, for the gas to be at that level I would smell it when the alarm goes off and wakes me up.

This article is a bit old now so some of the alarms tested might not be available anymore, but it's probably still worth reading for anyone considering buying an alarm just to see the various features you should be looking for.

http://www.jeanneau-owners.com/hintsandtips/gassafety/PBOgasalarmsontest.pdf

Edited by blackrose