dehumidifier

Featured Posts

Are dehumidifiers such as those sold by Meaco consider to be a success? My problem is that I`m a leisure crusier who lives to far away to make frequent visits to the boat. It`s mooring currently has no mains ( although this is in the process of changing) and so I`m reviewing how to keep down winter condensation and humidity. Even with windows left open for cross ventilation and no heating mold growth appeared on some of the fabric wall covering and curtains. Will I just have to wait until mains is available and if so what limiting precautions can I take in the meantime please.

1 hour ago, jddevel said:

Are dehumidifiers such as those sold by Meaco consider to be a success? My problem is that I`m a leisure crusier who lives to far away to make frequent visits to the boat. It`s mooring currently has no mains ( although this is in the process of changing) and so I`m reviewing how to keep down winter condensation and humidity. Even with windows left open for cross ventilation and no heating mold growth appeared on some of the fabric wall covering and curtains. Will I just have to wait until mains is available and if so what limiting precautions can I take in the meantime please.

Definately successful, providing you ensure that all vents and windows are blocked/closed before switching the dehumidifier on (otherwise it will try to dehumidify the world).

I use bath sponges folded in half to block the mushroom vents and stick cardboard over the low level louvre vents and close all windows to achieve this. I also use mains powered oil filled radiators controlled by a thermostic plug which comes on at 4°C and keeps the inside of the boat above freezing, so that I don't have to drain down the calorifier.

The Meaco 8DLL has a tank which can be bypassed by a hose, so the water removed by the dehumidifier can be directed into the sink to safely drain away.

Before using the dehumidifierover winter, I used to find that cupboard doors would swell and stick.

Without mains power your only option is to increase ventilation and perhaps take the curtains home with you when you leave the boat.

As above.

We have used the Meaco 8DLL for the last eight winters together with an oil filled radiator on a frost setting.

One of the good things about the Meaco is if there is an interruption to the power supply it retains its setting and comes back on its previous setting automatically. Some need to be switched on again manually which is no good if you visit the boat infrequently.  

Ken

We also have a Meaco, a great bit of kit. Tend not to use it over winter though, as we leave the boat well ventilated, with all cupboard and drawers open. 

In the spring, we close the boat down, add a little heat and set the Meaco.

Works for us as an all porthole boat.

9 minutes ago, jddevel said:

I doubt a solar panel with a dedicated battery would keep it going winter time.

No doubt about it.

Until you get electric sorted :

Keep all your windows and vents closed.

By a 10kg bag of Cat Litter, Rice or Salt

Buy a dozen foil 'turkey trays' from Poundland (other shops are available)

Spread the trays around the boat, fill each with cat litter / rice / salt and it will keep your boat dry for 'months'.

We do it even tho we have 'leccy available and do not have any 'dampness' or smell of mould.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Another vote for the Meaco DD8L

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/st/dd8l-dehumidifiers?refsource=Apadwords&refsource=apadwords&mkwid=sgEWzYFDV_dc&pcrid=237550268543&pkw=+meaco +dd8l&pmt=b&slid=&pgrid=13425405895&ptaid=kwd-22105458398&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75ujrJXu4wIVCLTtCh0QkA0yEAAYASAAEgKn2fD_BwE

I use it mid November to about mid March .  Electricity over this period  probably costs about £20 per month ,  but the absence of any damp or mould issues is worth the expense.

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

Another vote for the Meaco DD8L

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/st/dd8l-dehumidifiers?refsource=Apadwords&refsource=apadwords&mkwid=sgEWzYFDV_dc&pcrid=237550268543&pkw=+meaco +dd8l&pmt=b&slid=&pgrid=13425405895&ptaid=kwd-22105458398&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75ujrJXu4wIVCLTtCh0QkA0yEAAYASAAEgKn2fD_BwE

I use it mid November to about mid March .  Electricity over this period  probably costs about £20 per month ,  but the absence of any damp or mould issues is worth the expense.

This is what often makes me giggle. You are so right that in boating terms 20 squids a month is chicken feed especialy if it avoids problems caused by damp. I know boaters on hook up who would rather save a couple of quid a day rather than have low cost heating of some sort on. If not on hook up its not so easy of course. When we go away for a week or two in winter we have the webasto on a timer that comes on for one hour, four times every day, whatever the weather forecast, the few quids worth of diesel is well worth the piece of mind.

42 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Thanks Alan. Great idea until the electric has been installed to the mooring. I assume having had a quick "Google" it`s not a wood derivative type.

No - the stuff I use is a 'crystal' sort of stuff (man-made, looks like little plastic diamonds), but I have in the past used grey sort of 'gravelly', 'stoney' stuff,

Just go into Pounstretcher, B&M etc and get 'high absorbent cat litter'.