Mad multi-systems: electrics

Featured Posts

OK. there are too many mad 240v / mains on board. Includes a 3Kw inverter installed at pointy end using former bow thruster cabling!

I would like to start by removing the central mains lighting system is it OK to find and disconnect the wire [if only only one wire, I would like to remove the wire].

If wires down the cabin sides are connected to the centre, deckhead wiring, then another re-think.

There is mains lighting to LED, to Inflorescent lights, and to numerous twin sockets as well as single sockets. 

There are numerous double electrical sockets, probably one on mains, one on Inverter_ A [also located at pointy end].

I will be selling the 3Kw inverter and maybe keep the 800w inverter, if it proves to be wired safely. It might be moved to the engine room and the bow batteries removed.

Everyone here does their own electrics, the local guru has had a look, he has identified a few strange effects. Essentially the original mains system has been "supplemented" over the years 

A good boat electrician is required. DN14

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Well done Lady G on the new boat.

You know me. I'm with Smelly. Don't get rid of too many 240v systems. You're not camping are you? I'd sooner have a 3kw inverter than a 800w one.

Echo the above.

A good quality high power  inverter will not take any more power on standby than a similar lower powered one - generally speaking 

1 hour ago, Paringa said:

Can i suggest not getting into too many projects too quickly. Try to enjoy the boat as it functions now and see what needs to be done after living with it.

Enjoy.

Well done on the boat about time but...

This quoted above, live with the boat for a while, obviously anything dangerous needs sorting but that aside, take a breath and relax, live with it and see what works for you, living amongst a mess of unfinished projects will be bloody depressing 

• Greenie 1

Congratulations on the purchase of your boat and presumably the sale of your flat.

I agree with the above, deal with the dodgy wiring and anything else that needs repair. Until you have spent some considerable time on your new boat, you won't necessarily know what suits you and what doesn't.

Often you will find that things you didn't like at first make much more sense when you have lived with them for a while.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung