Small cruiser- More info sought

Featured Posts

No connection to me but it would be interesting to see what this Family Four package makes on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shetland-Familly-Four/223502084791?hash=item3409c32ab7:g:k~cAAOSw5iVctFmw Looks a clean example with 15hp Honda so fine for the canals. The Family Four is 5.36m like the Shetland 536. The cabin is pretty much the same size as on the 570 / Kestrel where the extra length is gained in the cockpit.

33 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

No connection to me but it would be interesting to see what this Family Four package makes on ebay. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shetland-Familly-Four/223502084791?hash=item3409c32ab7:g:k~cAAOSw5iVctFmw Looks a clean example with 15hp Honda so fine for the canals. The Family Four is 5.36m like the Shetland 536. The cabin is pretty much the same size as on the 570 / Kestrel where the extra length is gained in the cockpit.

Ooooooooooo ?

19 hours ago, BilgePump said:

eta: small boat behind large car = loads of fun

big boat behind small car = mistake

If you have a one ton car, unbraked trailer at 200kg, boat at 500kg, it's illegal. If the car weighs two tons it's legal. (50%, max 750kg)

Er not quite

all the law says is that the unbraked trailer must not be over 750kg and be within the towing limit of the car.

As an example  Nissan Micra weighs on average about 1000kg its towing capacity is 790-900kg depending on model so any unbraked 750kg trailer would be legal.

There is a lot of waffle by the various caravan clubs etc that you shouldn't tow over 85% of the kerb weight of the car, this was advice prior to cars being type approved for towing and the manufacturers setting towing weights.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Er not quite

all the law says is that the unbraked trailer must not be over 750kg and be within the towing limit of the car.

As an example  Nissan Micra weighs on average about 1000kg its towing capacity is 790-900kg depending on model so any unbraked 750kg trailer would be legal.

There is a lot of waffle by the various caravan clubs etc that you shouldn't tow over 85% of the kerb weight of the car, this was advice prior to cars being type approved for towing and the manufacturers setting towing weights.

Er, not quite 

Unbaked trailer can't be more than half the weight of the tow vehicle but may be less than this if the vin plate says so 

6 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Er, not quite 

Unbaked trailer can't be more than half the weight of the tow vehicle but may be less than this if the vin plate says so 

Not something I was aware of all my boat trailers have been braked ones.

I wouldn't consider an unbraked trailer for anything other than a small trailer.

Also my tow car is 1535kg kerb weight and has 2000kg tow limit so not something I have looked into.

Edited by Loddon

I've always fancied a Fairline 19 on a trailer for exploring remote waterways. 

Fairline_19-1967-HI-630x438.jpg.6e0512a62d68daef89fc0ac905605fa4.jpg

In fact there is a very pretty fairline princess on gumtree at the moment... 

Edited by carlt

38 minutes ago, carlt said:

I've always fancied a Fairline 19 on a trailer for exploring remote waterways. 

Fairline_19-1967-HI-630x438.jpg.6e0512a62d68daef89fc0ac905605fa4.jpg

In fact there is a very pretty fairline princess on gumtree at the moment... 

There is or was one a Fairline 19 for sale on the Fossdyke recently. It was in good nick as well. They were not asking a lot of money for it.

On 04/05/2019 at 08:23, BilgePump said:

No connection to me but it would be interesting to see what this Family Four package makes on ebay.

[...]

Looks a clean example with 15hp Honda so fine for the canals

I have got quite a soft spot for the Shetland Family Four - it was the first boat I was ever allowed to drive on my own.  On Loch Lomond, in the speedboat zones, with 100 HP strapped to the back. :D