Cheshire Ring mooring questions

IanD

Featured Posts

12 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

If you moor at Bugsworth and fancy a change with good beer, walk up the lane beyond the Navigations car park for about ten minutes and you come out at the Old Hall and Papermill both sell a great range of beer and do good food, and they walk back to the Navi before dark to finish off the evening on another six real ales

Thanks for the suggestion (it's a twenty-minute walk...), if we can't get in at Whaley Bridge we might do that. But I suspect the Navigation will win, since it has decent beer and food and is right next to the basin -- did that last time and it was fine, just wanted to try something different and the Goyt Inn looks enticing...

1 hour ago, captain birdseye said:

Also don't forget the Vale Inn in Bollington it's Bollington Brewery's tap, and the Samuel Oldknow in Marple has great beer and pork pies and its a five minute walk from the ring o bells

Vale Inn is already on the itinerary, along with King's Lock, Blue Bell, Goyt Inn, Chapel House, Knott Bar, Leigh Arms. Was planning to stop for lunch at the (OK) Ring o Bells, might give the Samuel Oldknow a try instead -- thanks for the suggestion, great beer and pork pies sounds perfect ?

2 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

And miss out on that lovely Robbies beer?  Scandalous.

Was merely OK Robbies last time I was there, but that was in about 2010 and I gather a new landlord took over last year.

4 minutes ago, Señor Chris said:

That's as good as Robbies gets.

I know, I was trying to be diplomatic in case you were a Robbies fanatic.. ?

Edited by IanD

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Streuth, I hope you have a "designated steerer"!  :D

It is something I have often pondered when seeing a boat zig-zagging towards me.

Is it steered by a newbie on his first trip or an experienced boater who is pi**ed? ? 

31 minutes ago, cuthound said:

It is something I have often pondered when seeing a boat zig-zagging towards me.

Is it steered by a newbie on his first trip or an experienced boater who is pi**ed? ? 

Or me aiding you with your bowel movement problems!

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Streuth, I hope you have a "designated steerer"!  :D

Seven nights, seven good pubs -- isn't that how everyone plans a week on the cut? ?

56 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

Have you got the Lymm Brewery Tap on your list, try the Dunham Dark a mild brewed to the legendary Chesters mild recipe 

Anyhow, it's a sunny day I'm off for a poter round to Bugsworth and a bit of a crawl followed by the Vale on Saturday and back to the Oldknow on Sunday

Probably no time to stop at Lymm, last day (Castlefield to Bridge 208) is a long way...

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Seven nights, seven good pubs -- isn't that how everyone plans a week on the cut? ?

A week on the cut?  Ah, then I stand corrected: I thought that was your Day 1 itinerary for a week half-cut!  :D

(Or I was joking - I forget which.) ;)