A glorious afternoon on the tidal Trent

luggsy

Featured Posts

Yep my fave river, absolutely love doing it Keadby to Cromwell and reverse, and the non tidal bit down through Newark to Grottingham is fab. The daft thing is at present nearly all boats are tied up for " The winter " in their marinas and when its bloody orrible and peeing it down in July they will all be out ?

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yep my fave river, absolutely love doing it Keadby to Cromwell and reverse, and the non tidal bit down through Newark to Grottingham is fab. The daft thing is at present nearly all boats are tied up for " The winter " in their marinas and when its bloody orrible and peeing it down in July they will all be out ?

You missed out the best bit!!

DSCF4556.jpg

DSCF4554.jpg

DSCF4566.jpg

DSCF4567.jpg

36 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You missed out the best bit!!

DSCF4556.jpg

DSCF4554.jpg

DSCF4566.jpg

DSCF4567.jpg

Ive done that bit more than once, BUT on a boat shaped boat not my floating skip. I was going to take my seventy footer round there until a CART chap told me it would probably go through thorne lock so I gladly went in at Keadby and yes, went through Thone lock with zero spare space, I wasnt looking forward to going round Trent end in the skip so was well chuffed when it fitted the lock ?

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

The weather has been bitunusuall  recently  , has it not ?

A bit of sunshine is  not unknown in other months

May 2018

June 2017

July 2018

Edited by MartynG

I believe the gravel barges stopped in 2013 ?.......... although I am sure there was some minor activity slightly more recently than that.

We often seemed to meet gravel barges on a bend or at a bridge, which was unfortunate as they needed all the available space. There was of course no option but to give them right of way. On one occasion we passed a gravel barge firmly aground at Laneham. This , ever since,  being my least favourite spot on the river.

The game of ‘’keeping out of the way of ships’’ these days starts below Keadby.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

I believe the gravel barges stopped in 2013 ?.......... although I am sure there was some minor activity slightly more recently than that.

We often seemed to meet gravel barges on a bend or at a bridge, which was unfortunate as they needed all the available space. There was of course no option but to give them right of way. On one occasion we passed a gravel barge firmly aground at Laneham. This , ever since,  being my least favourite spot on the river.

I have always found its more fun meeting one at Skew bridge in Knottingley ? theres plenty of room on the river to dodge em but at skew bridge if you dont have vhf!!! They always used to announce on the approach to the bridge with inbound/outbound and if ya didnt have vhf which I didnt the first few times it could be nowt short of a change of underwear!!

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, MartynG said:

We always seemed to meet them on corners as well!

9 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

We met one at Scotsman Shoal once when the river was very very high. He happily took a shortcut across the shoal without touching it.

That's what is called 'Local Knowledge'.    

VHF?  In my day it was VLH (Very Loud Hooter).   We did have a tranny tuned to Radio Caroline. 

3 hours ago, Chris Williams said:

That's what is called 'Local Knowledge'.    

VHF?  In my day it was VLH (Very Loud Hooter).   We did have a tranny tuned to Radio Caroline. 

That was one of our most glorious trips on the river. The incoming tide met the outflowing floodwater and the result was totally static water, no flow at all, even though it was only inches below the top of the banks. We had the most wonderful views over the local countryside!

16 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

That was one of our most glorious trips on the river. The incoming tide met the outflowing floodwater and the result was totally static water, no flow at all, even though it was only inches below the top of the banks. We had the most wonderful views over the local countryside!

Its a fab river yet very underused because of silly bad press. On the correct tides and times applicable to the capabilities of the boat its very doable. The first time we did it was on our first boat thirty years ago a 56 foot steel narrowboat with a nine horsepower engine that was probably about a five horsepower engine by then in reality. It was very shall we say interesting at times but doable.

4 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Canal people do seem frightened of rivers.  Moving water, just like when you empty a lock.  If in doubt, talk to the lock-keeper.

First time I got on the Soar was the first time I heard my engine sing!!

Love the rivers.

• Greenie 1

Just now, matty40s said:

First time I got on the Soar was the first time I heard my engine sing!!

Love the rivers.

The soar is another fab river. It does like to flood but if you moor up in a lock its quite safe ? ;)

10 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

Canal people do seem frightened of rivers.  Moving water, just like when you empty a lock.  If in doubt, talk to the lock-keeper.

It's a good thing though. Keeps the rivers quieter.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's a good thing though. Keeps the rivers quieter.

Yep. Do a poll and ask how many on this forum have been up to Ripon or indeed done the lovely Selby canal!! Yet most will have been to the pretty much boring locations such as Braunston and Stoke Bruerne.