Oil disposal in lincoln

luggsy

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, BobJF said:

The waste and re-cycling site on Great Northern Terrace, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5 8LG claims to, https://www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/recycling-and-waste/find-a-recycling-site/lincoln/132856.article, but I've never had cause to use it for such.

That is one I was referring to - probably 1.5 miles + from the nearest mooring at Waterside South, or 2+ miles from the mooring at Stamp Lock.

A fair walk carrying cans of oil.

It looks much closer on the map, but there is no way to get to it without doing a huge "U shape".

Presumably you had the cans on board, so why not just keep it until you pass a marina ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

A nearby lorry or car workshop would be glad to take it especially if the have a sump oil burner for heating.

Now don't quote me on this but I believe that the use of those heaters in business premises is or has already been banned.

The garage we use had one, was great for us getting rid of our boat oil more than anything, but he has been forced into getting rid of it.

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Now don't quote me on this but I believe that the use of those heaters in business premises is or has already been banned.

The garage we use had one, was great for us getting rid of our boat oil more than anything, but he has been forced into getting rid of it.

Every garage I know around here pays to have their old oil taken away. Okay, I only know 4 garages around here quite well, but they all pay ;)

42 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Every garage I know around here pays to have their old oil taken away. Okay, I only know 4 garages around here quite well, but they all pay ;)

similar story around here, the only place I know of that runs a waste oil burner is a manufacturer of high end stainless exhaust systems (mainly for older Rolls-Royce cars), we use them because the quality of the exhausts they make is excellent and they will custom make them to fit around various non-standard bits we have under the car (full custom stainless actually works out cheaper than manufacturer original, and it's better)

Called in Burton water spent £169 on fuel asked about disposal of my old oil said it was only for there own use so no joy , hope to get back on the Trent Monday or Tuesday so next place will be Newark is there anywhere in Newark ?

12 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Called in Burton water spent £169 on fuel asked about disposal of my old oil said it was only for there own use so no joy , hope to get back on the Trent Monday or Tuesday so next place will be Newark is there anywhere in Newark ?

There is an oil disposal tank  at Farndon Marina located just inside the gate at  the road entrance to the marina .

Bear in mind it is intended to be for customers of the marna .

There is a pontoon outside the marina which is chargeable  at £10 if you want to stay overnight.

Knots bar is good - especially for Sunday Lunch - I am pretty sure you can stop a couple of hours on the visitor pontoon if you are having lunch , or just a drink. 

https://www.knotsbar.com/restaurant.html

30 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Kings Marina have an oil disposal tank in the compound with the bins.

Pull onto A pontoon (go up to the end by the fuel and pump-out pontoon) and up the steps, the bin compound & waste oil tank is 50 yards on the right

41 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Well that's news too us.

It is located by the big green shed if you moor up nearby overnight, say at the Woodcocks.

We have always but our waste oil in there and they have never said anything to us even when they have seen us do it.

17 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had our waste oil taken away this week. Driver informed me that it is illegal to burn it in this country now due to environmental regs so they now export it to France(60000 lts per week) where it is still used.

1 hour ago, bastion said:

We had our waste oil taken away this week. Driver informed me that it is illegal to burn it in this country now due to environmental regs so they now export it to France(60000 lts per week) where it is still used.

I am sure the same regulations apply in France.

I expect  the French have the plant  to burn it properly and  also to filter the flue gas . 

40 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I am sure the same regulations apply in France.

I expect  the French have the plant  to burn it properly and  also to filter the flue gas . 

Or the French simply use their usual Gallic pragmatic approach to such regs...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Well that's news too us.

It is located by the big green shed if you moor up nearby overnight, say at the Woodcocks.

We have always but our waste oil in there and they have never said anything to us even when they have seen us do it.

Yeah but you moor there, and fall under 'our own use', I would think.  But I do think they are being miserable not letting Luggsy dispose of his oil after he spent £169 on fuel.

Thanks for the replys, I have spent over £1000 since July there , I guess I asked the wrong person as he was management as it was just passed 4 pm on a Friday and the usual lads had finished at 4 pm 

• Happy 1

On 23/02/2019 at 17:54, Mac of Cygnet said:

Yeah but you moor there, and fall under 'our own use', I would think.  But I do think they are being miserable not letting Luggsy dispose of his oil after he spent £169 on fuel.

That counts as a small fuel purchase for Burton Waters :lol:

28 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That counts as a small fuel purchase for Burton Waters :lol:

My total 'tankage' is 2800 litres, so a 'half-fill' is about £1000.

When we had the Fairline we would often have to get road tankers to come down to the harbour wall as the local 'sailing club' didn't have enough to 'spare' us 1000 litres.

At 1.25 miles to the gallon we got thru a fair bit of diesel when we were touring around the Irish Sea & the West Coast of Scotland.

We used to 'pop-over' to Dublin for the weekend (60 miles each way) - it would actually have been cheaper on the Ferry but not so much fun.

• Greenie 1