Grand Union Canal - Huntley Film Archive

mark99

Featured Posts

I found a silent 1930's film on utube - showing my local canal - credited to Huntley Film Archive

If it's not an authorised copy I will edit the post and delete. Fascinating journey to Brum from London.

Edited to delete link. Cheers Pete for the info.

Edited by mark99

This is a well known film, made for publicity some time between 1936 and 1942 (based on the delivery date of RENTON and its subsequent conversion to an ice breaking tug).

As Grand Union Canal is still available commercially I am sure somebody will be unhappy to see it published on You Tube.

edit - boats readily identifiable on my grainy copy of this film are:

USWORTH at Islington Tunnel

BRENT - Bushell built tug on Paddington Arm

KINGFISHER - G.U.C.Co. inspection launch

HAWKESBURY at Bulls Bridge

LARK (F.M.C. Ltd.) at Brentford

ACONITE (S.B.C.Co. Ltd) at Brentford

LEON (A.H.-T.) pushing open gates (with staggered engine room doors)

RENTON pushing open gates

KENILWORTH at Cassiobury Park

CHARLES (A. Wander Ltd.) at Kings Langley

BRAMBLE & BASCOTE (F.M.C. Ltd.) at Fenny Stratford

SOUTHAM at Wolverton Aquaduct

FORNAX at Blisworth Tunnel and Norton Junction

WHITBY and CHESHAM in the new locks

TARPORLEY at Olton

MONOCEROS and MARFAK at Olton

ELECTRA at Sampson Road, Birmingham (with a bulk cratch)

YEOVIL at Sampson Road, Birmingham

BALDOCK at Sampson Road, Birmingham

DOWNHAM at Sampson Road, Birmingham

Based on just watching this film I am dating it to 1938 or 1939. ELECTRA and MARFAK were both sold in August 1941, and none of the motors (or road vehicles) have their headlights blacked out - suggesting pre-WW2.

Edited by pete harrison

This is a well known film, made for publicity some time between 1936 and 1942 (based on the delivery date of RENTON and its subsequent conversion to an ice breaking tug).

As Grand Union Canal is still available commercially I am sure somebody will be unhappy to see it published on You Tube.

edit - boats readily identifiable on my grainy copy of this film are:

USWORTH at Islington Tunnel

BRENT - Bushell built tug on Paddington Arm

KINGFISHER - G.U.C.Co. inspection launch

HAWKESBURY at Bulls Bridge

LARK (F.M.C. Ltd.) at Brentford

ACONITE (S.B.C.Co. Ltd) at Brentford

LEON (A.H.-T.) pushing open gates (with staggered engine room doors)

RENTON pushing open gates

KENILWORTH at Cassiobury Park

CHARLES (A. Wander Ltd.) at Kings Langley

BRAMBLE & BASCOTE (F.M.C. Ltd.) at Fenny Stratford

SOUTHAM at Wolverton Aquaduct

FORNAX at Blisworth Tunnel and Norton Junction

WHITBY and CHESHAM in the new locks

TARPORLEY at Olton

MONOCEROS and MARFAK at Olton

ELECTRA at Sampson Road, Birmingham (with a bulk cratch)

YEOVIL at Sampson Road, Birmingham

BALDOCK at Sampson Road, Birmingham

DOWNHAM at Sampson Road, Birmingham

Based on just watching this film I am dating it to 1938 or 1939. ELECTRA and MARFAK were both sold in August 1941, and none of the motors (or road vehicles) have their headlights blacked out - suggesting pre-WW2.

Curiously the person actually selling this film on a DVD has it marked on the advertising and packaging as 1934 promotional film", which very clearly from boats pictured it can not be.

Unless the dates I have are wrong, several of the Town class boats pictured were actually 1937 deliveries, so that is absolutely the earliest possible, but several look less than new, so like Pete I'm tempted to think we are into at least 1938 or 1939.

Goodness knows what's going on where the two women attempt to wind the paddle gear of some of the widened locks on the Birmingham main line! They seem to have little idea of technique, and it seems unlikely they are professional boat people somehow!

Edited by alan_fincher

Several such films are available through Beulah Films http://www.eavb.co.uk/video/index.html

The B&W is simply titled 'Grand Union Canal', a silent film declared to have been made in 1934. Maybe some of it was, but there are boats show that were built in 1936 so it could be a collation of film. Pre-WWII though.

'Inland Waterways' was made in 1950, and the notation the engineer makes in the trip card shows the date in February 1950 at 'Target Turn'. 'There Go The Boats' is stated as being made in 1951.

Commercially available it may be - but if it dates from some 75 years ago, is it still in copyright?

I failed to point out when I tried to remember UK copyright law the other day, that the 70 years is not from the production of the photo or film.....

The actual wording for film states.....

Films

70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the last principal director, author or composer dies.

If the work is of unknown authorship: 70 years from end of the calendar year of creation, or if made available to the public in that time, 70 years from the end of the year the film was first made available.

So if a director, author or composer can be identified, then this film is almost certainly still covered.

(That said I have no idea how much is actually known about the making or history of these films).

I failed to point out when I tried to remember UK copyright law the other day, that the 70 years is not from the production of the photo or film.....

The actual wording for film states.....

So if a director, author or composer can be identified, then this film is almost certainly still covered.

(That said I have no idea how much is actually known about the making or history of these films).

The film was made by the Grand Union Canal Company.

The film belongs to British Waterways now CRT of course. Despite my best efforts I cannot understand why they claim 1934 which it clearly isnt. My own guess is that the film was proposed to be made in 1934 and that is the origination date. Its cut and shut a lot and some scenes may predate the shots of newer boats.

From my last conversation with Simon Salem in relation to the piracy of this film no one is authorized to put it on you tube or sell it as a dvd on its own. It remains CRT copyright.

the original masters are currently lost btw.

Edited by Laurence Hogg