Quietest CH pump - Johnson's any good?

real_vibes

Featured Posts

I think there is only one low powered mains central heating pump.

Grundfos Alpha2 L 15/50 Domestic Circulator Bare Pump

most of them plus inverter on 24/7 without mains hookup is going to show on battery usage.

I have a Johnson and I don't find it very quiet. Maybe I could improve it with soft mountings and sound proofing but in our case its not on long enough to worry about.

Edited by ditchcrawler

Fed up of our noisy pump.

Are these any good?

http://www.elyboatchandlers.com/12v-central-heating-pumps/johnson-12v-magnetic-driven-centrifugal-circulation-pump

Or are there other cheaper models? (Or more expensive if they are really really quiet!!!!)

I've got one on my boat. It's lasted me 20 years. Of course I don't live on board, and only cruise in the summer, so it hasn't had as much use as it might. I was told that it would only last a couple of years, so I have a brand new Bolin pump thats been sitting in the cupboard ready as a replacement for about 18 years! Bolins used to be recognised as the quietest pump you could get, but that was some years ago. Modern technology may have changed things.

Mine's not noisy by any means, but if I'm sitting reading and all is quiet, I can hear it but only if I listen for it. Any other noises, such as wind rustling the towpath grass will drown it out.

Mounting the pump is, I would advise, very important. Anything it rests on will carry vibrations through the boat. To prevent this, I have connected my pump to the rigid central heating pipework by 2 x 3 inch pieces of car radiator hose of approx 1 inch dia. The pump is suspended on these and just hangs there in mid air with no direct contact with anything solid, hence no vibration through the boat. This works well for me.

Just remembered-- I've seen some VERY cheap chinese pumps on ebay. Sort of beige-y colour and basically the same shape as the Johnson, so may be a straight swap.

There's a nearly new Johnson one on ebay at the moment, which is cheap-again, at the moment.

• Greenie 1

We had a Bolin in our last boat running the central heating off a drip feed diesel heater, it was fitted behind a removable section of the shower room wall and you literally could not hear it at all.

They are very expensive though.

Fed up of our noisy pump.

Are these any good?

http://www.elyboatchandlers.com/12v-central-heating-pumps/johnson-12v-magnetic-driven-centrifugal-circulation-pump

Or are there other cheaper models? (Or more expensive if they are really really quiet!!!!)

In fact, there are many brands of that pump, all made by the same manufacturer. The Vetus on is identical for instance (apart from the price)

We have one, it's not particularly quiet. How you mount it makes a huge difference

Richard