Oil change

TheCrowsNest

Featured Posts

I have just purchased a 24 year old 45' Narrowboat with an Isuzu 3KR1 diesel engine.

I am looking forward to collecting her this weekend but as expected there are many things to be done :) all of which I hope to do myself as I am now skint.

One of the first things I would like to do is change the oil in the engine, replace the oil filter etc. (what I would normally do when buying a second hand car).

Firstly, has anyone an idea of what oil and oil filter is required for Isuzu 3KR1 diesel engine?

Secondly, the surveyor said that "the alternator belt is a little lose and would benefit from being tightened up". Does anyone have any experiences/advice about doing this?

Many thanks for all your help and advice :captain:

I have just purchased a 24 year old 45' Narrowboat with an Isuzu 3KR1 diesel engine.

I am looking forward to collecting her this weekend but as expected there are many things to be done :) all of which I hope to do myself as I am now skint.

One of the first things I would like to do is change the oil in the engine, replace the oil filter etc. (what I would normally do when buying a second hand car).

Firstly, has anyone an idea of what oil and oil filter is required for Isuzu 3KR1 diesel engine?

Secondly, the surveyor said that "the alternator belt is a little lose and would benefit from being tightened up". Does anyone have any experiences/advice about doing this?

The oil filter already on the engine whould have a maker's type number. Write down maker and number and take to motor factors who should be able to get you an equivalent.

This might help:

My link

Oil - ordinary mineral 15w/40 diesel oil should be OK.

Automotive diesel oil 15w50 but not a fancy one! Ie not semisynthetic or synthetic. This is because a canal boat engine spends a lot of time running at light load or idling, and a top quality oil will be "too good", resulting in glazed bores which means smoky exhaust and high oil consumption.

If you look at the small print on the can, get one that is no higher than API CF rating. If you want the best/most popular brand for canal boats it is Morris oil, but generally you only get it at boatyards and chandlers.

If you look at the small print on the can, get one that is no higher than API CF rating. If you want the best/most popular brand for canal boats it is Morris oil, but generally you only get it at boatyards and chandlers.

Being pedantic, but wasn't Isuzu one of the last to hang on to the notion that the oil should be to an even "lower" API spec than that?

I seem to remember something like ideall no more that API-CD, or, at a pinch API-CE, but admit I have not been back through old posts to get chapter and verse.

I suspect HMI Isuzu recommended against even API-CF, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

It is probably not that critical, but I'd be looking for a lower API spec if I could find it, I think.

EDIT Actually, an old HMI web-site still accessible says this for the marine engines......

FAQ

MARINE ENGINES

What type of Oil should I use in my marine engine?

On cruising canal vessels engine power demand is very low, other than when on rivers, pushing against the flow. If higher spec oil is used, this may afford excessive cylinder bore protection, which in extreme cases may lead to bore glazing. The engine oil used for this application should be an API CC Grade oil, which is available through the UK Dealer Network

Edited by alan_fincher

Do not pay chandlers prices for anything, including oil. It is a very basic diesel engine. Try sourcing filters online after obtaining the spec now fitted. Search on the forum for filters, and a wealth of info is brought to you.

As for oil, take a look at this.

http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-15W40-Mineral-Oil---5L/001021140,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=ad-ppc-_-ggle-pla-_-Babies-and-Kids-_-001021140&utm_source=ggle-pla&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=001021140&utm_content=Babies-and-Kids&utm_campaign=ad

Good as any as long as you service regularly at say every 250 hours.

I am sure many far more qualified than me will add advice. Good boating. Enjoy. :cheers:

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by johnmck

Morris's do make a "canal boat oil" that is (I think) an API CC.

Widely available at all boaty shops.

Tighten fan belt just like on a car...should deflect about 1/2 inch under light finger pressure at centre of longest span. (unless its a "polyvee" belt in which case you need complicated equipment to measure tension (or rotate by 90% by strong hand pressure at centre of longest span!!!!!))

...........Dave

Do not pay chandlers prices for anything, including oil. It is a very basic diesel engine. Try sourcing filters online after obtaining the spec now fitted. Search on the forum for filters, and a wealth of info is brought to you.

As for oil, take a look at this.

http://direct.asda.com/ASDA-15W40-Mineral-Oil---5L/001021140,default,pd.html?cm_mmc=ad-ppc-_-ggle-pla-_-Babies-and-Kids-_-001021140&utm_source=ggle-pla&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=001021140&utm_content=Babies-and-Kids&utm_campaign=ad

Good as any as long as you service regularly at say every 250 hours.

I am sure many far more qualified than me will add advice. Good boating. Enjoy. :cheers:

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

£16 for oil - that's a bit steep!. Wilkinsons sell diesel oil for £12!!

I can only repeat that members on here contacted HMI Isuzu, and were firmly told you should not be using anything as "high" spec as an API-CF oil, (which is what that Asda oil is).

That point is, of course, arguable, but I do recall that HMI Isuzu were firmer on the point of using an "old spec" oil than most of the other marinisers - might even have said a warranty was invalidated if you used a different oil, I can't recall, (although I concede that point would be largely irrelevant with an old engine!).

So up to original poster to decide if they are happy to use a cheaper oi to a different API spec, or to follow the original manufacturers advice, (which I have just found on a web-site as apparently having been API-CC).

API-CC oils are not hard to find.

£16 for oil - that's a bit steep!. Wilkinsons sell diesel oil for £12!!

Wilko Motor Oil Mineral Diesel 15w 40 Motor Oil 5ltr at £12 is also an API-CF oil, so out of line with the marinisers recommendations for Isuzu engines.

It is a cheaper way of buying what is strictly speaking the wrong oil though, I'll admit!

EDITED TO ADD:

Link to old posting

("Baldock" is forum member "Chris B" who wors for Marine Engine Services, who supplied Isuzu engines, so he should be a reliable source).

Edited by alan_fincher

Being pedantic, but wasn't Isuzu one of the last to hang on to the notion that the oil should be to an even "lower" API spec than that?

Yes I think you are right Alan - in theory at least. Oil less than CF is not easy to find in mainstream suppliers however. I wonder if the "issue" of glazing really applies to a well-worn engine in the same way as it does to a new one? I'm inclined to think not - without being able to support my view with evidence!

Thank you all for your quick responses!

I had a quick look around and apparently this one is API-CC (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9217985&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266990224&noCookies=false), would it be ok?

My local B&Q has stock :)

As for the oil filter, I will try and find some markings on the current one over the weekend.

I had a quick look around and apparently this one is API-CC (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9217985&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266990224&noCookies=false), would it be ok?

As for the oil filter, I will try and find some markings on the current one over the weekend.

Well done that man. Told you that you can source other thsn via chandlers, who charge top wack for even the basics! Get used to the extended discussion in depth on every topic on the forum. It is well worth being a member though! Have a good laugh, but also have the benefit of some very very knowledgable(!) people. This forum pays dividends in it's advice. Just do not listen to me! :cheers:

And yes, that oil should be fine.

Edited by johnmck

Yes, I think that oil will be fine.

It's a 20W/50, so a bit thicker than say a 15W-40 but that's probably not a bad thing in an older engine with maybe a bit of wear.

Note that is sold in 4.5 litres rather than 5 litres, which on some engines might make the difference between whether one can is enough to do a full oil change on both engine and gearbox or not, (but I don't know about that Isuzu, or even whether it has the type of gearbox where you should be using engine oil - on some you use a hypoid type oil).

If you are checking a web-site, and it says B&Q have stock, you may not find it as easily in a local store as you imagine. Although I have never bought it, I have looked for it, and it is usually in the gardening section, rather than a motoring one, (if they have the latter). They seem to assume it is more likely to go in a bit of garden equipment than a car.

I can only repeat that members on here contacted HMI Isuzu, and were firmly told you should not be using anything as "high" spec as an API-CF oil, (which is what that Asda oil is).

That point is, of course, arguable, but I do recall that HMI Isuzu were firmer on the point of using an "old spec" oil than most of the other marinisers - might even have said a warranty was invalidated if you used a different oil, I can't recall, (although I concede that point would be largely irrelevant with an old engine!).

So up to original poster to decide if they are happy to use a cheaper oi to a different API spec, or to follow the original manufacturers advice, (which I have just found on a web-site as apparently having been API-CC).

API-CC oils are not hard to find.

Wilko Motor Oil Mineral Diesel 15w 40 Motor Oil 5ltr at £12 is also an API-CF oil, so out of line with the marinisers recommendations for Isuzu engines.

It is a cheaper way of buying what is strictly speaking the wrong oil though, I'll admit!

EDITED TO ADD:

Link to old posting

("Baldock" is forum member "Chris B" who wors for Marine Engine Services, who supplied Isuzu engines, so he should be a reliable source).

Interesting that the Asda stuff is now CF. When it was in the old style (5L) bottles it was CD. I am now on my last gallon of the Asda CD and will have to look elsewhere. Thanks for pointing that out.

I tend to buy my filters from All-Parts in Croydon, they are fantastically helpful which is so useful as cross referencing filters and finding out which are decent is a bit tough. They also stock CC oil 20w50 at £12.50 for 5 litres and their prices for filters are a fraction of what a chandlery charges - for example I think my last bill was £40 for 10 l of oil, 2 air filters, one oil filter and three fuel filters. I don't think they have an online site but I think they do mail order?

Health warning: The lot of links will give you some ideas but they are not specific to your engine. I have scanned my engine and gearbox manuals for an online version of my shopping list. Your engine is not covered but I hope the generalities may help.

Isuzu Engine manual for 3LB1 (25hp), 4LB1 (32hp), 4LC1 (42hp), 4LE1 (55hp)and 4JB1 (70hp): Click here

PRM gear box manual: click here

Automotive diesel oil 15w50 but not a fancy one! Ie not semisynthetic or synthetic. This is because a canal boat engine spends a lot of time running at light load or idling, and a top quality oil will be "too good", resulting in glazed bores which means smoky exhaust and high oil consumption.

The cheapest place I found to by Morris oil was from my local lawn mower repair company, they use straight 30 in their mowers but were quite happy to order Gold Film for me when they placed an order. It was a very pleasant surprise.