Fat cables! Ideally 70mm sq

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a supplier who will make up three really fat battery cables for me preferable 70mm sq, with M10 lugs attached? I need one short and two long, in red.

1 x 15cm

1 x 75cm

1 x 100cm

Had no luck perusing eBay and other websites and I don't want to invest in a crimper as its not something I'll need to do more than once

Thanks

Can anyone recommend a supplier who will make up three really fat battery cables for me preferable 70mm sq, with M10 lugs attached? I need one short and two long, in red.

1 x 15cm

1 x 75cm

1 x 100cm

Had no luck perusing eBay and other websites and I don't want to invest in a crimper as its not something I'll need to do more than once

Thanks

Hello BSP

I can supply the cables that you required I am in the M25 area this coming Monday if this will help

You have not said which colour you will required red or Black

Keith

Edited by Keith M

Being colour blind could be a bit of a draw back in th electrical trade..........

I'm not certain on this but I think a lot of the colours are chosen with that in mind.

Now do you see how much we missed your expertise? ;)

No it's my right wing rants you missed.

I'm not certain on this but I think a lot of the colours are chosen with that in mind.

No it's my right wing rants you missed.

You would be correct in that the earth cable was changed from solid green to green with a yellow stripe. I was told that the reason for this was that colour blind people should be able to distinguish that it is two colours. Might be utter bullshit, but sounds feasible to me.

Not sure about the blue, grey and brown colours, except they are causing a nightmare when joining to old cables. My friends still in the trade have reported a few problems on three phase installations!

You would be correct in that the earth cable was changed from solid green to green with a yellow stripe. I was told that the reason for this was that colour blind people should be able to distinguish that it is two colours. Might be utter bullshit, but sounds feasible to me.

Yes, I heard that the change from red to brown was also on a similar basis in that red-green blindness is the most common one. Again, I have no idea if it's bollocks.

Not sure about the blue, grey and brown colours, except they are causing a nightmare when joining to old cables. My friends still in the trade have reported a few problems on three phase installations!

The 3 phase colours are a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, I heard that the change from red to brown was also on a similar basis in that red-green blindness is the most common one. Again, I have no idea if it's bollocks.

The 3 phase colours are a joke as far as I'm concerned.

Glad it's not just me who thinks that ;)

Don't work on Peugeots then - they don't colour code the wires. They use number codes printed along the wire. Except, the underbonnet environment of a car isn't the best place, and they get dirty and become unreadable, etc....

Interesting, we once had to maintain a German machine where exactly the same had been done! Great fun..

Don't work on Peugeots then - they don't colour code the wires. They use number codes printed along the wire. Except, the underbonnet environment of a car isn't the best place, and they get dirty and become unreadable, etc....

If they printed it with something that didn't wear off I think it's a better idea. Unfortunately, they seem to use water colours from my kids' paint tray.

A friend of mine went to do some voluntary work in a poor country some years ago. He claimed that all conductors were the same colour and that they weren't identified in any way. They had to bell the lot out and mark them up.

I'm interested to know BSC wise if you can use solid conductor, ie copper bar inside plastic conduit, for long runs instead of heavy, and expensive cable ? That will save alot of cash.

If i ever needed to do it i would want to use Aluminuim round bar, bolted to short lengths of copper cable.

I'm interested to know BSC wise if you can use solid conductor, ie copper bar inside plastic conduit, for long runs instead of heavy, and expensive cable ? That will save alot of cash.

If i ever needed to do it i would want to use Aluminuim round bar, bolted to short lengths of copper cable.

Interesting one. The BS frowns on "solid cables" (IIRC) yet I know people use solid busbars on batteries. I doubt that a solid busbar/solid conductor would come to any harm on a boat.

Bus bars are definitely allowed, so they should be fine, you could always check with the BSS office.

Rectangular bar might be easier to deal with, can be put into same shaped PVC trunking with snap on lid, thick strip will bend some making it easier to fit.

This'll give an idea of prices:

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/p7/Aluminium_Flat_Bar/pages.html

Not easy as copper to make a good electrical connection though, worth reading up on it.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

Having finally finished my wiring last night I can say that I am really pleased with my fat cables. Really substantial and made a reliable and tidy job of my new battery / isolator switch / earth wiring.

Bet you can't wait for a nice sunny day now, and some cold solar powered beers. :cheers:

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

RCD, ABYC, NMEA & BSC all call for stranded cable for reasons I guess people are now well aware of, also ali rod would need to be over 1.6 times the mm2 of copper to get the same resulting volt drop, one of the reasons it was discontinued in common use was the stuff turned to powder over time, admittedly this was at small mm2 section. From an entirely practical point of view if the rod was heavy enough I can't see any real mechanical issues (fracturing etc) but I would be concerned about the dissimilar metal interfaces corroding and setting up high resistance over time, certainly not something I would consider and certainly would not be able to certify a job compliant if it were done so.

The problem with aluminium (apart from it having a much higher resistance than copper) is that it will (not might) form aluminium oxide on contact with air. Aluminium oxide is a rather good insulator. Getting decent contact to them is difficult to say the least.

Are'nt national grid pylon cables Ally ?

Ally bar would be so cheap compared to copper cable for say a long run to a bow truster you just use however much sq mm you need to avoid volt drop, bolted connections with an anti oxide sealant / grease. You can also braze Copper to Al.

In such a non critical use why not save money ?

Edited by onionbargee