Window One Way Mirror Film

Chagall

Featured Posts

I've been looking at getting some one way mirror film....I looked at these guys web site for instance http://www.visionwindowfilms.co.uk/Silver-One-Way-Mirror-Window-Film.aspx

it sounds good in theory but has anybody tried it in reality, does it make things inside very much darker? not the car stuff, I know that does but is the house stuff better?

I also know that if you have a light on as it gets darker outside then it cancels out the effect which isn't a problem since Id be closing blinds anyway, but what about a window on the other side of the boat, I wonder if that would back light and so cancel the mirror?

I have asked the various companies but I just wondered in the meantime if any on here have used it to good effect?

I know a bloke in the marina where I used to moor who put the silver one-way film on all his windows. I'm not sure if it was the car or house stuff (come to think of it I didn't know there was any difference until you mentioned it?)

It did make it a bit darker in his boat, but I imagine that you could look into whether different % light reduction shades are available. Anyway, he said it also made the boat cooler in summer because his single-glazed windows no longer acted like a greenhouse.

Edited by blackrose

When, a million years ago, I used to look after a big computer suite, we had the windows lined with this to reduce "solar gain" and thus the load on the air-conditioning.

Yes it does make things a bit more gloomy indoors.

David

I've been looking at getting some one way mirror film....I looked at these guys web site for instance http://www.visionwindowfilms.co.uk/Silver-One-Way-Mirror-Window-Film.aspx

it sounds good in theory but has anybody tried it in reality, does it make things inside very much darker? not the car stuff, I know that does but is the house stuff better?

I also know that if you have a light on as it gets darker outside then it cancels out the effect which isn't a problem since Id be closing blinds anyway, but what about a window on the other side of the boat, I wonder if that would back light and so cancel the mirror?

I have asked the various companies but I just wondered in the meantime if any on here have used it to good effect?

I walked past boat that had this on it windows this morning. Wouldnt the fact that you dont need to keep curtains/blinds closed on the tow path side counter the reduction in light compared to clear glass ?

Les

I walked past boat that had this on it windows this morning. Wouldnt the fact that you dont need to keep curtains/blinds closed on the tow path side counter the reduction in light compared to clear glass ?

Les

I have lovely big windows which do let in a lot of light, but on at least one side I now need some extra privacy temporarily, so it may be that I just go for one side mirrored.... and hope the off side will be sufficient to keep at least 80% of the light I have now.

I need to check with the firm selling the stuff if the big window so close on the other side will cause too much light to cancel the mirror effect as in the case of a lamp...

I was just wondering if anybody has any direct experience of it....

thanks for the thoughts...

It people looking in really that much of a problem? That mirror film is so ugly, almost anything would be preferable, wouldn't it?

ugly from the outside? I kind of like how it mirrors the surroundings, and of course inside one doesn't see it. I don't want to close the curtains and spoil the lovely view of the banking and its wildlife.

but yes, for me people looking in is a problem, at the moment Im in a marina and on the end of a row, its a great spot but open on one side and very close to the service station area and so Im on constant view. It does feel a bit like a side show at times.

Whatever you choose, get it fitted by someone who really knows what they are doing, otherwise it will look terrible.

I quite agree, Im happy to pay somebody to do it properly!.... the web site I visited has a fitting service. I know its doable as a diy with care but I believe one really needs four hands!

Only really works for privacy if there's no windows on the other side.

If you have the 'bus' windows maybe try aluminium venetian blinds, get one as a trial.

cheers, Pete.

smpt

Only really works for privacy if there's no windows on the other side.

If you have the 'bus' windows maybe try aluminium venetian blinds, get one as a trial.

cheers, Pete.

smpt

okay, thanks.... I have a same size window on the other side but it isn't directly opposite....not 'bus' windows but Yes aluminium blinds might be a good idea too, Im supposing the metal reflects when they are at an angle?

Hi

We have it fitted to the windows either side of the front doors on our widebeam. It was fitted when we bought it so at present we have left it on. It doesnt cut down on light though we have bus windows fitted so its light in here anyway. It does mean that people walking towards the boat cannot peer in at us. Come and have a look anytime you want :cheers:

Tim

Hi

We have it fitted to the windows either side of the front doors on our widebeam. It was fitted when we bought it so at present we have left it on. It doesnt cut down on light though we have bus windows fitted so its light in here anyway. It does mean that people walking towards the boat cannot peer in at us. Come and have a look anytime you want :cheers:

Tim

Great!....whereabouts are you? Im in Lancashire .... but have a car, so I can travel, within reason!

Great!....whereabouts are you? Im in Lancashire .... but have a car, so I can travel, within reason!

Sawley marina, not far down the old M1 mate near Nottingham.

Tim

We fitted our Broads cruiser with a dark grey film which provided a lot of privacy plus cut down solar gain by a huge amount. Not possible to see much at all from outside but very little difference to light level inside.

We got ours from DIYPLAS and fitted it ourselves, it was really simply.

Phil

Hi

Tim

But you can't have a look at him, at any time - because the boat's fitted mirror film to some windows . . . .

Mind you - - if one had ever set eyes upon Mr Smelly . . . . . . would one make the journey to do it again??? (I'm only asking!)

But you can't have a look at him, at any time - because the boat's fitted mirror film to some windows . . . .

Mind you - - if one had ever set eyes upon Mr Smelly . . . . . . would one make the journey to do it again??? (I'm only asking!)

:P :P :P

Hi

Popped into lidl last week and they where selling that window film there

I found some here at DIYPLAS that Phil mentioned earlier http://www.diyplas.co.uk/Product.asp?catid=225&subcatid=447 but I reckon they have an incorrect price listed for the smaller width size ....£392.72?! blink.gif

I've now decided I have to have it, regardless of how it looks! Because the Marina 'Office' is signed as in our car park, visitors on a Sunday perusing the boats for sale in the basin adjacent to the service station, often stand at the gate marked 'Private Berth Holders Only' and try to catch my attention when Im at my window, they persist for quite some time if I ignore them and eventually stomp off muttering darkly about the rudeness of my not responding to their mute waves for attention. rolleyes.gif

Depending on the size you want, it might be worth checking with a local car window tinting place to see what they have left as a roll-end, cut-off, as doing a car can be quite wasteful.

Yes thanks, I checked car stuff, apparently it is much darker to look through than the stuff used for houses etc....a local boat has the car stuff and its very noticeable inside, much too dark.

My windows are 3' wide x 2'4" high so I need at least 3 metres for three windows

I found some here at DIYPLAS that Phil mentioned earlier http://www.diyplas.co.uk/Product.asp?catid=225&subcatid=447 but I reckon they have an incorrect price listed for the smaller width size ....£392.72?! blink.gif

I've now decided I have to have it, regardless of how it looks! Because the Marina 'Office' is signed as in our car park, visitors on a Sunday perusing the boats for sale in the basin adjacent to the service station, often stand at the gate marked 'Private Berth Holders Only' and try to catch my attention when Im at my window, they persist for quite some time if I ignore them and eventually stomp off muttering darkly about the rudeness of my not responding to their mute waves for attention. rolleyes.gif

Wow! that has to be a misprint because we did'nt pay anything like that and in fact would'nt (indeed could'nt)

Phil

I have curtains on the lounge windows but aluminium venetian blinds on all the rest. If you turn them at a downword angle from the outside, peeps looking down cannot see in but you can still see out.