All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Hi All Over the years our glass door has developed 'scratches' on it - its not cracked so just wondered should i be concerned about this? ta!! rob
  3. Utter BS -- anyone green or not analysing ICE vs. EVs is perfectly well aware of the carbon debt involved in battery manufacture, and also that reduced emissions when driving mean this is paid back in not many years, which means that over the lifetime of the EV total CO2 emissions including manufacture and disposal are around 3x-5x lower than ICE depending on the assumptions made (e.g. renewable energy mix). That is "the whole picture". Loads of analysis from loads of sources on the web explaining this, I suggest you go and do some reading... πŸ˜‰
  4. Not allowed on the canals, obviously...
  5. Ok. Last post of mine here. Hard line greenies luv anything that has electricity or batteries in the name. If you say you have a car with batteries in it, Greta gets all excited. But we all know batteries produce CO2 during production. Well, everything does. But Greta and her disciples won't want to admit this. So, your form of carbon neutral (ignore the carbon used to produce stuff) is exactly what the greenies would use, so as to make their favourite items look better than they are. I suppose we are all guilty of it in some form or another. Ignore the bad bits of things that you like. Like Michael Jackson fans ignoring his bad side, greenies ignore the bad side of batteries! So in that regard, the true term of carbon neutral is the fairest of the 2!! Let us see the whole picture.
  6. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  7. Cotswolds Archeology are working on route of the A66 upgrade and have come across evidence of early communities and water channels. In relation to the time line for canals this must rank as early.
  8. I think mrsmelly has it right. The best solution is to use clean tap water in the first place which does not need filtering, instead of canal water.
  9. It doesn't require net energy to make it. The production of biofuels such as HVO is still energy positive. If carbon neutral energy is used to make it, then it is indeed carbon neutral. Let's say a factory produces 1000 kJ of biofuel, and it uses 100 kJ of dirty energy to make it. The factory produced 900 kJ of net energy, 90% carbon neutral. If the factory uses 100 kJ of that biofuel's energy to make the next batch of 1000 kJ of biofuel, it has now made carbon-neutral biofuel. (If you want to be extremely technical, you can say it's now 99% carbon neutral, and the next batch will be 99.9%... so you can mathematically say it tends towards carbon neutrality. But, I think, this is pedantry rather than a helpful classification of the fuel by carbon impact). I'm feeling confused by how you think my use of the term carbon neutral would be used to describe batteries. Would you be willing to explain what you mean so that my need to understand can be met? I can understand this point of view, and there's definitely a practical aspect to this as we make the necessary changes - for now, most lorries use dirty diesel, and so transporting biodiesel by lorry means the practical usage of biodiesel isn't really carbon neutral. However, it is more helpful and more accurate to point out that while the biodiesel itself is in fact carbon neutral, it's the transportation that is the problem in this case. All the carbon sequestered in it was captured from the atmosphere, not extracted from the ground - and releasing it back to the atmosphere should not be considered a failure or a tragedy. The releasing of carbon captured recently should be considered a neutral activity. There are lots of reasons why biodiesel isn't the complete answer (land use change, expense, local pollution) but carbon emissions aren't one of them. The carbon emitted during production and transportation applies to dinodiesel too.
  10. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  11. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  12. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  13. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  14. Yes I have been in touch with Chris at beta. He’s just waiting for Aintree to say deliver. thanks for all your help. Fingers crossed. πŸ™‚
  15. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  16. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  17. But is says 17 and 15 in the link. Ok. The strike was on 16. "vehicle strike which has badly damaged Barrow Bridge 16. "
  18. Today
  19. The water level at the T&M summit was fine when I went through it the week before... If the culprit was vandals, putting the locks back on would help -- I assume they were the usual handcuff key ones?
  20. Water was so low at the T&M summit last week that I couldn't get into one of the Stoke locks, and it has rained a bit lately. The CRT bloke who came to sort it out blamed vandals for opening paddles overnight - I did point out that the gates on the flight leaked so much that a lock someone had just emptied (and mistakenly shut the gates on me as I approached it), was half full again by the time I'd walked up to it. Others on the flight, filled by someone going up just before me, were almost empty by the time I reached them. It really doesn't bode well for the summer. Until a few years ago there were anti vandal locks on the top couple, too, presumably taken off because vandalism isn't really a problem.
  21. If I recall Gibsons Arm in Birmingham had paddles on the same side of the lock in Cambridge Street will have to check
  22. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  23. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  24. This post cannot be displayed because it is in a forum which requires at least 10 posts to view.
  25. Past there last week. The side by the sign was in the water. But both sides have been cracked for ages.
  26. Not convinced signs make much difference given truck driver stupidity -- our road has width restrictions at the far end to stop trucks using it as a cut-through to the industrial estate, and big signs warning of this at the road entrance including "Width restriction 2.0m" and "No access to industrial estate" and "No HGVs" (and "No Heavy Goods Vehicles"!). All this still doesn't stop artics regularly driving down it and getting stuck and causing a total jam... 😞
  1. Load more activity
Γ—
Γ—

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.